Grado HF-1 first impressions.
Jul 31, 2007 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jellybones

500+ Head-Fier
I'm not very well versed in much of the technical jargon so I'll do the best I can.

Well, I just got my first pair of high end Grados. I actually traded my Denon D2000's. Why? Well, for a few reasons. I liked the Denons. I thought they sounded great, but the temptation to try an HF-1 was too much. I could get the Denon again really anytime I want but, you don't come by an HF-1 all that often. Another neat part about it is they are number 23 which was the first HF-1 that many here ever saw pictures of.

And in a week I'm actually turning 23. But enough of that.

How do they sound?

In a few words: really good. I missed the Grado sound. I owned the SR80's for quite a while. When people say these cans do well with Rock and Roll they aren't kidding. Guitars have a certain way they sound with the HF-1. It's hard to describe. Very full bodied. Really the first time I've heard recorded guitars sound like this.

Bass wise they don't have the impact that the Denons have. Which isn't really a downfall to me. The impact got to be a bit fatiguing actually with the Denons.

Their presentation is very well-rounded and also really fun. I'll be posting more after I spend a little more time with them.

Jul 31, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 17
Let me tell you that your old SR-80 do sound special to me. These were the vintage SR-80 and they sound really different then the SR-60 and SR-80 i've heard before.

Hope you like the HF-1. From my opinion, they have more soundstage than any other Grados and are a good compliment to the higher end Grados.

Happy listening!

Jul 31, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #3 of 17
I owned a pair of RS-2's before I bought those HF-1's. I sold my RS-2's because the HF-1's were just that good sounding. I loved the HF-1's while I had them. I love the Denon's just as much but differently. Glad you like them jellybones.

Jul 31, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you planning to upgrade your amp?

LOL i'm sorry but that just made me laugh.Why must you put such thoughts in his head
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #8 of 17
I agree on on how the HF-1s sound really good. I am still listening and just having fun. I am hearing things now that I haven't heard in my music before and I'm sure the mSeed Spirit amp is helping out as well. I think I am going to be keeping these cans for quite some time.

Ed

Jul 31, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 17
You definitely need to try them with flats.

A nice thing about the hf1s is how well they scale with amps. They sound good out of an ipod, but they sound great out of a high end balanced amp...

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellybones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not very well versed in much of the technical jargon so I'll do the best I can.

Well, I just got my first pair of high end Grados. I actually traded my Denon D2000's. Why? Well, for a few reasons. I liked the Denons. I thought they sounded great, but the temptation to try an HF-1 was too much. I could get the Denon again really anytime I want but, you don't come by an HF-1 all that often. Another neat part about it is they are number 23 which was the first HF-1 that many here ever saw pictures of.

And in a week I'm actually turning 23. But enough of that.

I would recommend the new Blonde Redhead album 23 for you then

Aug 1, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #13 of 17
You know I almost mentioned that album in the original post. I've had the album for a while now..and am loving it through the HF-1's.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend the new Blonde Redhead album 23 for you then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back