GRADO HEADPHONES : how much have you climbed the ladder ?
Jan 6, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #17 of 183
RS-1. Looks like I'm currently in the majority here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #19 of 183
I've had the HP-2s since they came out (I forget when I got them, maybe 1992?) - and I have the HPA-1 amp that was sold at the same time.

I also purchased some RS-1s a few years back, which have their pluses and minuses. The RS-1s have awesome impact, and sound rich and full. They are very easy to drive, and with the Grado amp they have tons of punch (amazing punch), and with an Earmax Pro they are lush and sweeten up a bit.

I love the RS-1s when they're on their game, but for me, they are way too uncomfortable for long term listening, and they also seem fairly colored - they definitely put their sonic signature on the sound.

Which brings me to the HP-2s. I actually have full pads on them, mainly for comfort. It rolls off the highs a bit, and since these cans are already a bit subdued, they are definitely dry and smooth set up like this. However, they have great detail, even with the pads, and are very comfortable and non-fatiguing.

Compared to the RS-1s, they don't have the same punch, or go as deep, and they aren't as bright and lively, but overall I prefer listening to them, and can listen longer. Right now I'm driving them with a Hornet, but I also drive them with the Grado amps. The Hornet is doing an amazing jobs with these hard to drive cans! As you would expect, they are a great match with the Grado HPA-1 amp, I'd do a head on comparison between that amp and the Hornet, but I'm enjoying listening too much to get scientific with my listening.

The RS-1s are exciting and do a great test drive. Most people who hear them at my place really love them. For me, though, they can be fatiguing, and the comfort factor is really bad. I'm glad to own them, and would never sell them, but they're not my main rig - actually that honor goes to a Stax 3030 system, but the HP-2s have been on my head longer than any other phones (since I've had them so long) and they see frequent use connected to my computer through one of the amps.

Jan 6, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #20 of 183
highest end grado I've ever auditioned/owned would be the ms2i, have spent lots of time with everything below it. at this point, I'd say none are a keeper. maybe the rs-1/hp-1/ps-1 are worth it...gotta audition them one day.

Jan 6, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #21 of 183
SR40, HF1, MS2, RS1 for me.

SR40 was just the gateway drug.

HF1 Great guitar tones, sounds a little weak at the extreme ends of the spectrum. Warm wooly sounds, THICK and rich tones.
MS2, somewhat neutral, less aggressive midrange, and less bass bloat. Very good energy / dynamics at the ends of the spectrum, with better extension than the HF1. Less colored than the HF1/RS1
RS1, combines both HF1 and MS2 into one can. Very good extension, and dynamics at the ends of the spectrum (like the MS2). Colored presentation, aggresive mids and moderately bloated bass like the HF1.

RS1 is More airy and articulate than the other 2, although the MS2 is closer to the RS1 than the HF1. RS1 is much quicker than the HF1 and better at resolving details. HF1 is wooly and warm compared to either RS1 or MS2.

HF1 is the easiest of the 3 to like IMHO, very warm and rich sounding, thick sounding.
RS1 has the best soundstage of the 3.

Note also that my RS1 is still new and probably needs more time settling.
Garrett

Jan 6, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #27 of 183
Currently enjoying my MS-1s on the first step of the ladder.

..I can see myself climbing higher given time!

Jan 6, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #29 of 183
I fibbed in the poll. I put "RS 1" because it is the best that I have sonically, but I don't take it out. I take my HF 1 out. So it gets way more listening time than the RS 1, therefore the 'phone that's listened to the most is the best.

Actually the K1000 I passed along to another headfier had the best sound, imaging to die for ... but who's going to wear that while commuting to work in the am?

Andy

Jan 6, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #30 of 183
Falling in love with 325i and XCan amp with some Russian 6922 tubes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back