Grado Headband Construction (or deconstruction)
Sep 18, 2006 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MdRex

1000+ Head-Fier
I recently acquired a new set of Grado with an overstretched headband (smallish head here), I swap the headband out and decide to unstretched headband. I bent it inwards a bit and the black portion snap off from the headband and a discovery!

The whole headband disassembled

Metal piece inserted into slot partially

After some jiggling the metal piece fit into the slot with a snap. The whole construction wasn't put together by glue.

Goes back to as pretty as before.

To my knowledge some of the member's headband have broken off in such fashion, don't panic, just slot it back together, it will go on WITHOUT glue (how unGrado
tongue.gif
). Hope this helps.

Sep 18, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 8
you know this already but just to mention, if you were going to add beyer pads on that, i think it's better to actually wrap the pads(beyer for example) over the grado ones.. doing it over the bare metal thing wasnt as good as i thought it would be..

Sep 18, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 8
nice pooh blanket!
lambda.gif

Sep 18, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 8
Alright, I was just about to make a thread concerning this but I think this is related. I own the RS-1s and I recently noticed that the headband does not cover the whole steel portion and some of it is exposed on the left side.

Would disassembling it and reassembling it fix the problem?

Anyone else with RS-1s or Grados have the same problem? Post your pictues, maybe this is a common Grado/RS-1 issue?

Here are some pics of what I mean, forgive me for the crappy pictures I just got the camera and am somewhat of a photo newb.

It's been bothering me the more I look at it... I mean for the price of these headphones you woudn't expect this level of build quality...
frown.gif

if I sent them to Grado do you think they would fix it for me?

Sep 18, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnus
I own the RS-1s and I recently noticed that the headband does not cover the whole steel portion and some of it is exposed on the left side.
Would disassembling it and reassembling it fix the problem?

I've previously owned three RS-1's and currently own an MS-Pro. All of them have the "problem" you are describing. It looks like the template they use to cut the leather padding is a little too short.
Personally, it doesn't really bother me at all, and I am usually very anal about details like that.
rs1smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnus
I mean for the price of these headphones you woudn't expect this level of build quality

If you think what you are seeing is bad, look at what I got, as described in this old thread, heh-heh...
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154679

Sep 18, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 8
I could have sworn mine were all glued? I'll have to check again.

Yeah my rs1 is lop-sided like that too.

Sep 19, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 8
Alright, as long as I'm not alone...
biggrin.gif

but still, you would think they'd notice something like that. I don't even recall my SR-80s having this problem.

kontai69, ouch, I would be very disappointed if mine had problems on the wooding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back