Grado GS2000e Loaner program
Oct 26, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #213 of 216
First off, my apologies to Todd for being so late in posting this review - life/work issues have kept me quite busy.
Todd - excellent guy for letting these expensive puppies out in the wild for all of us to listen and give feedback - kudos sir and keep it up, we all appreciate it greatly!

Build Quality

To put it bluntly, I like Grado's style, but the price never matches the build quality to me - and the GS2000e is no exception.
The wood cups are very nice for sure, but the remaining parts are standard Grado - mostly plastic and thin leather with some metal parts.
To be fair, the headband is somewhat better than a SR60, but just barely, and the cable is very thick with an included adapter (not sure if thick is everyone's thing...).
Overall, I was hoping for more having seen only one screenshot from the side before I got them, but it wasn't to be.
Grado could do so much more with these premium models - I've seen it in the modding community and I'm not sure why they don't step it up here...

Overall Opinion: Poor

Sound

Um...wow, very different than any Grado I've heard.

Starting with the treble - much less aggressive than I'm used to hearing from a Grado.
Quite a bit more even sounding with a great deal of air.
I'm not sure I'd say I heard much sparkle but the instrument separation and soundstage was very impressive and much less congested than I'm used to hearing even from an SR225.
I can say that with G-Pads, even the lower models open up some in this regard, but the GS2000e simply did it effortlessly.

The mids were, again, very even sounding with a wide presence and slight warm tilt.
Not quite as forward or aggressive as the Sennheiser HD6xx line, and maybe slightly less soundstage than the HE-500, but overall excellent.

Bass was notably light but there was some impact there with a slight mid-bass bump.
I didn't expect much here but the bass was good, clean and had a little extension but nothing to write home about.

The one thing I noticed right away was how powerful the drivers were - they threw that clear, even sound out there so effortlessly.
Putting your hands over the backs even lightly and you can feel the pressure coming from that sound - more so than any other open back I've tried.

Overall Opinion: Quality matches the price. Not your typical Grado - effortless and even sound, very easy to listen to with a great soundstage.

Overall Value

I wish Grado would do better with the material design on headphones like this.
Yes, I feel that style doesn't really mean much if it sounds cruddy, but for the price, I couldn't justify this sound over competitors without a bit more, either in the overall sound or the design.
I will say, if you're the type that likes a laid back but clear and airy experience, perhaps classical/jazz, etc.., this is a great option for sure.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #214 of 216
Comment is a little late but some of you on the West Coast will hopefully appreciate this

A few months back I got to hear both the PS2KE and GS2KE and I waited to post my review, the reason being is I really wanted to give my full impressions on February the 2nd, to pay respect to the memory and legacy of Joseph Grado who left us on 02/06/2015. Mr. Grado spent quite a bit of time as I understand in my home state of South Carolina! An so to honor the man who appreciated my homeland and whose unique presentation I appreciate,

I have uploaded my full review of both the PS2000E and GS2000E reviewed together really!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/grado-ps-2000e.22923/reviews#review-19838
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/grado-labs-gs2000e.22753/reviews#review-19837

Each review has the same content, but the rating is based on the headphone it's listed under and the pro's and cons are again relevant to the headphone listed

Aug 31, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #215 of 216
GS2000e Review/Impressions

First of all thanks to Todd (TTVJ) for lending/loaning a pair of GS2000e much after the loaner program ended.

Background/Context
Grado RS1 has always been my favorite headphone. Hence I have owned pretty much all the various RS1 versions.
Owned aftermarket grado imitated drivers (like Magnum V4, V5, V7, Nhoord Red, Ypsilon and Epsilon R1) but nothing gave me the engagement and joy of the RS1.
I have also owned many other non Grado headphones (ATH-ADX5000, HD800, LCD-X, ESP 950, Stax L700, etc.) but found myself always returning to the RS1.

I currently own:
Beyerdynamic dt48a, a mid centric detail monster. I find it to be the most resolving, revealing and detailed headphone, much more so than the HD800, ADX5000, JH13pro or Stax L700.

ATH-AD2000, a mid centric, euphonic, musical headphone that excels at vocals and is probably the most grado-like headphone.

RS1 & RS2e (non button, pre “i” series). The RS1 and RS2e are very alike. RS1 has a slightly deeper soundstage and a little more lower treble and RS2e more clarity, upper bass/lower mids and detail than the RS1.

Other Equipment/Gear:
Chord Hugo 2, microZOTL 2S, Dragonfly Red

General Impressions
GS200e presents the music with a wide and somewhat deep soundstage, with ample separation vertically and horizontally. It’s easy to hear a sense of layers in the music.
Imaging is quite good, everything sounds clean and transparent, especially the vocals.
Another thing that stands out for me is the sense of air. This airiness in the GS2000e gives breath and life to the music, especially the vocals and acoustic guitar.

Bass
The bass is tight, controlled and punchy. Sounds balanced to my ears. I don’t get the feeling that it either overwhelmed or lacks. It’s just right.

Mids
The mids don’t sound recessed or forward. Sounds very neutral (especially for a grado). The low mids are not emphasized making it sound overly warm or thick, or the upper mids empahsized making it sound thin or overly shrill or shouthy. It’s very even for a grado.

Treble
This too is pretty balanced sounding to my ears. As I said, it’s very airy but not sibilant. There is no harsh lower treble harshness. There is however enough presence for vocal accent, adequate bite and crunch to the guitar or snap to the drums when needed.

Comparisons to RS2e
The RS2e sounds warmer and brighter/more aggressive at the same time. What I mean is, the RS2e has slightly more upper bass and lower mids and hence makes it sound warmer compared to the GS2000e, and at the same time the RS2e has more forward mids, upper mids and lower treble, and therefore presents the music with more attack and brightness.
Put it another way, the GS2000e sounds a little leaner and way more neutral than the RS2e. It doesn’t have the forward upper bass to give the music groove and bounce like the RS2e, nor the forward mids, upper mids and lower treble to give the music that crunch, attack and bite that you hear with the RS2e. On the other hand, the GS2000e offers greater soundstage, air and detail. Everything sounds more open, a little clearer and a little more detailed.

Comparisons to ATH-AD2000
ATH-AD2000 is a very interesting and unique headphone in that it presents the mids like if you put a pair of Flat Pads and at the same time gives you the soundstage like if you put a pair of G-Cushions. So while they both offer equal levels of detail and treble air, the AD2000 has mids and upper mids that are more forward. On the other hand, the GS2000e does offer slightly larger soundstage with slightly more cleaner presentation. The GS2000e images slightly better. I was hoping that the GS2000e would provide greater detail level than the AD2000, but that is unfortunately not the case.

Comparisons to Beyerdynamic DT48a
As I said in the above description of the DT48a, it’s both mid centric and a detail monster. The DT48a is able to give you detail behind the details. It’s amazing that way. So compared to the DT48a, the GS2000e is less mid forward and less detailed. I would say that it’s just enough so that you don’t feel like you are losing the details compared to other flagship headphones but it doesn’t give you that…. wow…never head that before like you do with dt48a, adx5000 or HD800. It just doesn’t dig into the mix.

Comparisons to HD800
I would say that the GS2000e sounds like the HD800 with similar soundstage, with less detail, slightly more forward mids (HD800 being recessed in the mids), with less sibilance, yet more punchy mid bass, a little more air, and finally more soul to the music.

Comparisons to ADX5000
Having said that, if anyone has heard the ATH-ADX5000 (new ATH Flagship), you would be surprised how similar they are. The ADX5000 being more detailed with more dense and weighty bass. But I can say the sound signature are quiet similar.

Conclusion
Overall, the GS2000e is really a great Grado headphone to complement the SR/RS/GH series. If I didn’t have the AD2000 that gives me the soundstage I crave sometimes (while at the same time giving me the forward mids) or the DT48a for the details that I crave beyond the RS2e, I would definitely consider purchasing the GS2000e, but because I have other headphones that compliment my RS2e and RS1, I am going to wait until Grado comes out with another RS1 version.

Again, many thanks to Todd for the opportunity to listen and review.

Jan 5, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #216 of 216
Greetings from Down Under.

Although I wasn't part of your loaner program I've had three new GS2000e headphones in my possession (single-ended versions). Yes, three fresh GS2000e specimens! Including one I inherited nearly brand new from a friend. Over a 12-month period I've compared them to other similarly priced brands, and various Grado siblings (GS1000, GS1000i, GS1000e, RS2e and SR325e).

Break-in x 3
So I've heard three GS2000e cans settle in, mainly through my Graham Slee ULDE amp. Out of the box they sounded subtly different from one another (as most identical models do), but they shared a very similar progression sound-wise. They were fed music only, from a wide variety of genres. Plenty of orchestral music with bracing brass, drum 'n' bass tracks etc. The break-in effects occurred at different intervals across the three headphones, and most changes were subtle. Certainly, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with a GS2000e out of the box.

Depending on the headphone I was greeted with slightly constricted mids, slightly coarse highs and, in one case, not much bass to speak of. In another, untamed upper mids made busier tracks harder to follow. In general the midrange and corresponding soundstage opened up quickly and lower mids became a little fuller after a day or so. Upper mids and treble became gradually smoother and more integrated over time.

And the bass? Upper bass was there out of the box and had an extra dollop of warmth—although it is far closer to neutral than other Grados. Mid bass needed time to develop depending on the GS2000e. In one it was there from the beginning; in another it took 20 hours to make its presence felt; and in the third example it took 50–100 hours to fully satisfy. And satisfy it does. It is plentiful yet balanced and doesn't bleed into the midrange. At the very bottom, deep bass is less pronounced / more refined than many other full-sized cans, as others have pointed out.

In general, I'd say that bass from a GS2000e is natural and part of the 'landscape' rather than sculptured to studio proportions. It is particularly suitable for large-scale classical music but also excels with small-group jazz when reproducing the woodiness of a plucked double-bass. Play some EDM and it's deep and resonant enough—for me, but people used to more bass weight and dynamism might be disappointed. Compared to prior Grado woodies including the GS1000 range, bass is more balanced, defined and present in a GS2000e.

Soundstage
A lovely spacious quality with good layering and plenty of air between instruments. It is wide and deep enough, putting the listener eight rows back in the auditorium. Spatial cues are natural and in proportion, as distinct from the 'busier' Focal Clear and 'stretched' Sennheiser HD800the latter worrying my aural senses.

Tonality
Gorgeous, with realistic timbres and pleasing harmonic textures. None of this is overbearing and there's nimbleness and dexterity when required. A touch of extra sparkle up top gives the GS2000e character, one that blends nicely with the fuller harmonics in the lower mids. Perhaps the only criticism is with solo piano, where fortes in the upper treble can sound a little spiky depending on the recording. But for classical and jazz aficionados this is the headphone to own. Opera and symphony lovers rejoice!

General thoughts
For acoustic music this is my favourite headphone, even next to the Stax range where the lightweight GS2000e wins on comfort. It's also good for well-produced electronic music (Air's Pocket Symphony or the self-titled SBTRKT) and rock (Rod Stewart's Every Picture... or Radiohead's OK Computer). Everyday pop/rock, R&B and rap is okay—although my SR325e is generally better for studio EQ'd / thrashier music.

Caveats
Slightly warm upper bass may not suit upstream components tending towards lushness in this area. And jittery or forensic digital sources will be outed when playing close-miked piano recordings.

Final word
I prefer the GS2000e to other flagship models because it has a character that suits the acoustic genres I mainly listen to. It sounds more neutral than other Grados, including the newer GS3000e, and the midrange is particularly good. The 'life-like' tonality is second to none.

Right, time to box these up and send them to the next listener... Oh, wait, I own these beauties! Thought I was in Long Island for a moment...:smile_phones:

Sources

L.K.S Audio MH-DA004 DAC / Audiolab 6000CDT transport
Marantz SA-11S2 SACD player
Audio-gd NFB-1 DAC / Windows 10 Audirvana

Amps

Graham Slee Solo Ultra-Linear Diamond Edition
McChanson SET 6EM7
Schiit Lyr
Chord Hugo (previously)

Reference music

Mozart – Symphonies 29, 31, 32, 35 & 36 – Mackerras, Scottish Chamber (Linn)
Rachmaninov – 24 Preludes – Steven Osborne (Hyperion)
Beethoven – Symphonies 3 & 1 – Leibowitz, Royal Philharmonic (Chesky)
Donald Byrd – The Cat Walk (Audio Wave)
Free – Free (Island Masters)
The Presets – Pacifica
Rage Against The Machine – Evil Empire

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back