Grado GS1000's, rock and other music
Sep 11, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
If you are hearing a sibilant response from your GS, it maybe transport and material. Z's and A'd's statements are too true and I agree with their perspective on this topic but have some things to add
A good example to check your cans for a sibilant response tkam is to listen to the Eat a Peach on MFSL by the Allman Bros, and then listen (same levels and equip)..to the Beatles MMT (which bears more sibilance naturally as a recording VS Allman Bros' Eat a Peach does by a long shot)

If you hear sibilance on the the Allman Bros, something is just wrong...and so adjust your system accordingly..
(note: I just took my own advice and listened to both, yeah..it is the material, not the GS in these two recordings..and is just about non existent (the sibilance) in the GS.

As far as the BD GS..well they are simply the most balanced wood Grado available to my ears, period.

I'm pretty sure tkam knows what he's listening to. Take a look at his sig, the headphones very well could be the weakest link. Knowing tkam, I'm sure he agrees
smily_headphones1.gif

edited for clarity

Sep 11, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I'm pretty sure tkam knows what he's listening to. Take a look at his sig, the headphones are not the weakest link.

did you look at my signature too
tongue.gif
I am not sure what coorelation you are trying to make here, and was not attacking tkam in the first place
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #18 of 31
As I said in my original post I'm well aware that there is sibilance in recordings. That being said I don't want my headphones to enhance that sibilance and make it a focal point. The GS-1000 do this and its a very nasty habit. Yes this isn't really a problem on well recorded material, but a lot of what I listen to is not perfectly recorded/mastered.

Oh yeah, like Thaddy said the rest of my gear is not the problem both of my sources are very very good.

Quote:

If you are hearing a sibilant response from your GS, it maybe transport and material. Z's and A'd's statements are too true and I agree with their perspective on this topic but have some things to add
A good example to check your cans for a sibilant response tkam is to listen to the Eat a Peach on MFSL by the Allman Bros, and then listen (same levels and equip)..to the Beatles MMT (which bears more sibilance naturally as a recording VS Allman Bros' Eat a Peach does by a long shot)

If you hear sibilance on the the Allman Bros, something is just wrong...and so adjust your system accordingly..
(note: I just took my own advice and listened to both, yeah..it is the material, not the GS in these two recordings..and is just about non existent (the sibilance) in the GS.

As far as the BD GS..well they are simply the most balanced wood Grado available to my ears, period.

Sep 11, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
But if you ABSOLUTELY want more slam, use the flat pads on your GS 1000.

Jan

Yes I agree the flats give the GS-1000 a ton of slam and they also help tame the treble a bit. Although by using flats your completely killing the GS-1000s huge soundstage and imaging.

Sep 11, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
As I said in my original post I'm well aware that there is sibilance in recordings. That being said I don't want my headphones to enhance that sibilance and make it a focal point. The GS-1000 do this and its a very nasty habit. Yes this isn't really a problem on well recorded material, but a lot of what I listen to is not perfectly recorded/mastered.

Oh yeah, like Thaddy said the rest of my gear is not the problem both of my sources are very very good.

No worries, I do not think that it is the GS here that is adding/enhancing sibilance, at least not in the correct rig config. IMO

Sep 11, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #21 of 31
I don't have the sibilance problem with my GS-1000s either. It exposes it when it's there, but it doesn't accentuate it on my system. On iamdone's system the sibilance was unbearable on certain recordings. So, I realized that it is a problem on some systems. TKAM - I'm not talking about your system, it doesn't seem likely to be the case for you.

I would assume if you listen to bad recordings, then you may be looking for the headphone to roll off the treble to hide sibilance. I wouldn't consider it a headphone flaw if the headphone reveals the recording without hiding anything. You can't have headphones that reveal the recording ruthlessly and hide sibilance in bad recordings as well. I choose to get to the heart of the recording - warts, sibilance and all - Some want the headphones to ease the blow. It's a preference thing. But it can't be both ways. The Senn 650 rolls off the treble and helps kill sibilance, but at the expense of treble extension.

The GS-1000 has a strong treble, and I don't mean to minimize the fact that it can be aggressive. I imagine Audiofiler with the BD cable may have smoothed that out. I get sibilance on bad recordings, but it never seems to peirce or get louder than the rest of the music. So, I just figure if its recorded, I'll hear it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shang-Ti Chen
So you think HP1&2/PS1>GS1000>RS-1 in resolution?

Yes - that's how I see it. OR uh hear it.

Sep 11, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shang-Ti Chen
Thanks Jason.
smily_headphones1.gif
So GS1000 is really resolving. Do you think it's one of the most resolving/detailed first-tier headphones and which else top headphones are more resolving than GS1000 except for R10 and Qualia 010?

I have not heard the Qualias yet, but from all reports, yep it takes the lead of the dynamics.

So for me:

1)Qualia
2) GS-1000/R10 (would need to go side by side, but where the R10's might be more detailed in the highs, they are equal in the mids and the GS-1000's in the bass)

For IEM's - Ety's. Seems these are bumped, not sure about that but they have the most I have heard. Seems most believe they do as well.

Electrostats...Omega II's from what I have heard, still need ot hear Omega I and HE90.

Sep 11, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I don't have the sibilance problem with my GS-1000s either. It exposes it when it's there, but it doesn't accentuate it on my system. On iamdone's system the sibilance was unbearable on certain recordings. So, I realized that it is a problem on some systems. TKAM - I'm not talking about your system, it doesn't seem likely to be the case for you.

I would assume if you listen to bad recordings, then you may be looking for the headphone to roll off the treble to hide sibilance. I wouldn't consider it a headphone flaw if the headphone reveals the recording without hiding anything. You can't have headphones that reveal the recording ruthlessly and hide sibilance in bad recordings as well. I choose to get to the heart of the recording - warts, sibilance and all - Some want the headphones to ease the blow. It's a preference thing. But it can't be both ways. The Senn 650 rolls off the treble and helps kill sibilance, but at the expense of treble extension.

The GS-1000 has a strong treble, and I don't mean to minimize the fact that it can be aggressive. I imagine Audiofiler with the BD cable may have smoothed that out. I get sibilance on bad recordings, but it never seems to peirce or get louder than the rest of the music. So, I just figure if its recorded, I'll hear it.

Yes - that's how I see it. OR uh hear it.

nicely put,

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
recently acquired Grado HP-2 .

nice get rob
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #24 of 31
There is another way to enjoy GS1000. Since it has not fatiguing detail, nice soundstage, and comfy, so in quite enviromment, like at night, turn down the volume, GS1000 sounds very wonderful as well.

BTW, many users have mentioned GS1000 has more bass than RS1. This statement is not entiredly true.
With the same source(I only adjust the volume accordingly because RS1 is louder than GS1000 at the same source) , RS1 reproduces more db at 45Hz and below than GS1000.(They are also different in other spectrum, of course). But GS1000 is able to keep the sound staying longer in the chamber. Therefore GS1000 sounds more bass and wonderful soundstage as mentioned every so often.

Sep 11, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #25 of 31
Thanks for the info. The GS 1000 will be my last dynamic headphone to get (probably this summer or spring) before I venture into the Stax Omegas. It will be my big bang out as I will stop purchasing dynamic headphones.....(unless I happen to win the lotto and get the R10)

Sep 12, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

nicely put,

nice get rob
wink.gif

Thanks Audiofiler. These things are without a doubt, next level...

Sep 12, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #27 of 31
I just wanted to chip in that proper amplification is also very very important.

Since getting my new amp, my love for the GS-1000 has grown fivefold to tenfold. After using a headfive for the last three weeks, preceded by the GS-1 for two months , and preceded by my PPX3 for a month before that(and many hours on an SFT dynamight intermittently), the MPX3 has really brought the GS-1000 to a whole new level. The soundstage is bigger than i've ever heard it, with so much impact, so much emotion, so much more musicality than it already had, which was for me very hard to imagine. Its like a whole new headphone and I still can't believe my ears. I even pinched myself to make sure that it wasn't a dream. I honestly can't find a single flaw with this headphone/amp combo. Thats not something I could even say of the SFT dynamight/balanced hd650.

Sep 12, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321

Since getting my new amp, my love for the GS-1000 has grown fivefold to tenfold. After using a headfive for the last three weeks, preceded by the GS-1 for two months , and preceded by my PPX3 for a month before that(and many hours on an SFT dynamight intermittently), the MPX3 has really brought the GS-1000 to a whole new level. The soundstage is bigger than i've ever heard it, with so much impact, so much emotion, so much more musicality than it already had, which was for me very hard to imagine. Its like a whole new headphone and I still can't believe my ears. I even pinched myself to make sure that it wasn't a dream. I honestly can't find a single flaw with this headphone/amp combo. Thats not something I could even say of the SFT dynamight/balanced hd650.

Thanks yllaflla for the impressions,

I am shortly obtaining an amp from Mik myself or used if possible, in the Slam config also, MPX3..
Nice post

Sep 12, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321

How much is your MPX3 ? Is it fully upgraded ?

Sep 12, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rshdhead
How much is your MPX3 ? Is it fully upgraded ?

2200 new. MPX3 with supra transformer, dual inputs, stepped atten, and black gates.

I am running a tall bottle 7n7 for input with 6bl7gta's for output

Users who are viewing this thread

Back