Grado GS1000's, rock and other music
Sep 9, 2006 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

analog'd

1000+ Head-Fier
I was going to post this reply to a comment made in another thread but did not as it seems off topic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
The GS1000 has a lot of bass and a lot of treble with no midrange, at least that was what I heard following over 300 hours of burn in. Good luck.

bah. the gs1000's are beautifully balanced and I've been swimming in grado mids under mine all week. But their presentation is completely unique in the grado line (so far); because they were designed and engineered to retain some elements of the signature grado sound, to add other elements, and to have a huge soundstage instead of being "in your face" (no you can't have it both ways, but you can own both phones). when compared to rs1's by some of those addicted to the rs-1's "you're on the stage" viewpoint they are found lacking in slam. and it absolutely took me time to get acclimated to the differences, but the increase in tonal range, soundstage and smooth highs here is significant. they are the ultimate grado's for most music, and unless you have to have the slam and the concentration on mids that make all rock sound so amazing on other grado's; they rock very well indeed. I listened to live cream 2005 and jeff beck "beck ola" today, and they were smokin'. not the same visceral experience as traditional grados', but just smokin'. so were mozart piano concertos, bartok concerto for orchestra, and every piece of jazz I threw at them. comparing them to rs1's with Kate Bush's Aerial, the new stereo mastering of Pet Sounds, the new Gomez (how we operate), Jennifer Warnes "the well" and Neil youngs "prarie wind" they revealed so much more in these recordings than Rs1's, K701's, sony cd3000's and shure e500's that the only phone in the same ballpark that I have isn't really a headphone (the AKG k1000's. they are speakers you hang off your head. and they do some things better than the gs1000's, and other things not as well).
btw, hearing Grado mids in classical recordings with this kind of soundstage is just heavenly. And the tone of every acoustic bass note is just crasy rich, like no other phone for $1,000 or under.

They are absolutely not the drenched in mids/ slammin/ in yer face sound of rs1's (my primary phone for a decade, and I still love that sound) but aside from that they are SO MUCH MORE. As it was with RS1's on their introduction, when the dust settles the gs1000s will be a classic; and considered one of a very few available headphones to have anywhere near their level of refinement in reproducing all types of music.

Sep 10, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 31
I'll agree with pretty much the entire post. The mids are there, they are simply balanced within the range. The sound spectrum is just different, and those that wanted different GOT different. As you say, ya just can't have it both ways, all ways or whatever the combination.

"Bigger soundstage!" People shouted.

"More comfort!" They exclaimed.

These two aspects alone necessitated something different and well, we have it, those pads require something new and the drivers to pair with them must be new. Air, resolution, space, imaging, articulation and so on and so on, GS-1000's rule over all other Grados. In your face slam goes to its siblings, and I gotta say, I love those siblings too, but the GS-1000's meet a demographic and moreover reach a cutting edge level that Grado should be proud and other companies should be shaking in their booties
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 31
Yes. Everything you said is correct. The poeple that experience harshness or sibilence on rock music are usually using digital (computer or mp3 sources).

These are made for a true high end system. And in a system that is well balanced, it will work with all music in a less colored way then the RS-1.

This is the most refined Grado in the wood category, and the only Grado with a big soundstage.
gs1000.gif

Sep 11, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
This is the most refined Grado in the wood category, and the only Grado with a big soundstage.
gs1000.gif

I'll go ahead and disagree with that
wink.gif
. I think the RS-1 is more refined, sure its not the detail retrieving whore that the GS-1000s are but it also isn't nearly as sibilant. I know that many recordings these days have plenty of sibilance on their own but I really don't want my headphones to exagerate that sibilance and make it front and center.

Sep 11, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #6 of 31
I personally think the L3000 has less resolving power than the GS1000's. The L3000s are a very balanced headphone, with nothing really jumping out at you. In terms of closed headphones, R10's still rule in terms of resolving power to these ears.

Sep 11, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #7 of 31
Thanks Jason.
smily_headphones1.gif
So GS1000 is really resolving. Do you think it's one of the most resolving/detailed first-tier headphones and which else top headphones are more resolving than GS1000 except for R10 and Qualia 010?

Sep 11, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shang-Ti Chen
Thanks Jason.
smily_headphones1.gif
So GS1000 is really resolving. Do you think it's one of the most resolving/detailed first-tier headphones and which else top headphones are more resolving than GS1000 except for R10 and Qualia 010?

The HP-1,2 and PS-1 are more resolving than the GS-1000, but have a smaller soundstage.

Sep 11, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
The HP-1,2 and PS-1 are more resolving than the GS-1000, but have a smaller soundstage.

So you think HP1&2/PS1>GS1000>RS-1 in resolution?

Sep 11, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #11 of 31
Would you be so kind to tell us how RS2 sounds vs GS1000 please
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd
I was going to post this reply to a comment made in another thread but did not as it seems off topic.

bah. the gs1000's are beautifully balanced and I've been swimming in grado mids under mine all week. But their presentation is completely unique in the grado line (so far); because they were designed and engineered to retain some elements of the signature grado sound, to add other elements, and to have a huge soundstage instead of being "in your face" (no you can't have it both ways, but you can own both phones). when compared to rs1's by some of those addicted to the rs-1's "you're on the stage" viewpoint they are found lacking in slam. and it absolutely took me time to get acclimated to the differences, but the increase in tonal range, soundstage and smooth highs here is significant. they are the ultimate grado's for most music, and unless you have to have the slam and the concentration on mids that make all rock sound so amazing on other grado's; they rock very well indeed. I listened to live cream 2005 and jeff beck "beck ola" today, and they were smokin'. not the same visceral experience as traditional grados', but just smokin'. so were mozart piano concertos, bartok concerto for orchestra, and every piece of jazz I threw at them. comparing them to rs1's with Kate Bush's Aerial, the new stereo mastering of Pet Sounds, the new Gomez (how we operate), Jennifer Warnes "the well" and Neil youngs "prarie wind" they revealed so much more in these recordings than Rs1's, K701's, sony cd3000's and shure e500's that the only phone in the same ballpark that I have isn't really a headphone (the AKG k1000's. they are speakers you hang off your head. and they do some things better than the gs1000's, and other things not as well).
btw, hearing Grado mids in classical recordings with this kind of soundstage is just heavenly. And the tone of every acoustic bass note is just crasy rich, like no other phone for $1,000 or under.

They are absolutely not the drenched in mids/ slammin/ in yer face sound of rs1's (my primary phone for a decade, and I still love that sound) but aside from that they are SO MUCH MORE. As it was with RS1's on their introduction, when the dust settles the gs1000s will be a classic; and considered one of a very few available headphones to have anywhere near their level of refinement in reproducing all types of music.

Sep 11, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
wink.gif
. I think the RS-1 is more refined, sure its not the detail retrieving whore that the GS-1000s are but it also isn't nearly as sibilant. I know that many recordings these days have plenty of sibilance on their own but I really don't want my headphones to exagerate that sibilance and make it front and center.

I use my phones in two seperate systems. In neither is sibilance ADDED by any headphone I've ever used. the only time I was getting more sibilance than Cat Stevens generates on his own I reset my phono cart to be properly alligned with the surface of the lp, and voila, zero added sibilance.

I am sorry for your sibilance problems. The RS1's obviously smooth it over a bit.

Sep 11, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
wink.gif

If you are hearing a sibilant response from your GS, it maybe transport and material. Z's and A'd's statements are too true and I agree with their perspective on this topic but have some things to add
A good example to check your cans for a sibilant response tkam is to listen to the Eat a Peach on MFSL by the Allman Bros, and then listen (same levels and equip)..to the Beatles MMT (which bears more sibilance naturally as a recording VS Allman Bros' Eat a Peach does by a long shot)

If you hear sibilance on the the Allman Bros, something is just wrong...and so adjust your system accordingly..
(note: I just took my own advice and listened to both, yeah..it is the material, not the GS in these two recordings..and is just about non existent (the sibilance) in the GS.

As far as the BD GS..well they are simply the most balanced wood Grado available to my ears, period.

Sep 11, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #14 of 31
My biggest problem with the GS1000 is that it lacked the energy of the RS-1 or PS-1 in my setup. For any of my music that required just a little bit of excitement, the GS1000 was missing something. I was able to play around with my amp to get it to have a better rhythm but I lost the fuzzy guitars. If I was able to get the fuzzy guitars, I couldn't get a nice rhythm. I gave up on trying to find the perfect amp for them. I'm sure there's plenty of setups that work, I just didn't find it. Even so, the PS-1 just seems a much better fit for me.

The PS-1 and RS-1 just make me so happy with my whole collection. The GS1000 was always hit or miss. It reminded me of the hd650 in that way. On the songs that work, it's amazing but on any of the faster stuff, the sound was still great but I felt slightly removed the song. It's just a preference of how you prefer your rock music; up close and exciting, or big open space and laid back.

Sep 11, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #15 of 31
I agree with Zanth and Analog'd.

But if you ABSOLUTELY want more slam, use the flat pads on your GS 1000.

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back