Grado GS1000 - what amp?
Sep 18, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #16 of 28
Woo6 sounds like a good idea. Not sure though from where in the UK I can get one.

Also still tempted by the Musical Fidelity - heard some bad things though about their quality control/reliability. Any comments.

Too many decisions in life. Too many opportunities to make the wrong choice.

I fear I may justr decisde to be dull & stick with the Rega. It does the job.

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MilesMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Harj,

The man in the shop agrees with you but assures me the Earmax Silver has more juice and will therefore work well with the Grados. I am inclined to be cautious though and avoid the Earmax.

Not heard of the Mapletree - is it sub £1k?

David

Hi David:

Yes, the Mapletree Ear+HD are made right here in Canada and it's a highly recommended tube amp. They go for $680 USD and are really robust as they can drive my RS1s (low gain headphone plug) and HD650s / K701s (high gain plug).

Here is a link:

Welcome to Mapletree Audio Design

You just have to search the forums here to find many happy owners!

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #19 of 28
From my auditions, I find Grace m902 and SPL Auditor are great fits.
(I didn't try any tube amps though)
The amp part really makes GS-1000 worth more than its price.

Considering that you're in UK, probably Auditor would be more reasonable pick for you.
But then you probably need to pick a good DAC, too.

Bad fit: Corda Symphony

I also tried a cheap DAC/AMP from China, mini USB DAC MK2, the amp part is not a good fit with GS-1000, DAC&AMP is much better but still no better than RA-1.

The interesting thing about RA-1 is the coloration from RA-1 makes differents sources more forgivable on GS-1000. Otherwise you have to go for those amps which really fits GS-1000 well (like m902 or Auditor) to get a overall superior experience.

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #20 of 28
To keep it simple YES the Lehmann works jus great with the GS1000. It is powerful and extremely neutral and will have no problem bringing out the best in the gs1.Great choice of cdp by the way.I spent a bit more with the bryston and its giving problem after problem wish i got the creek.

[size=x-small]Bryston bcd1-Lehmann Black cube-GS1000[/size]

Sep 20, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #21 of 28
Thanks everyone for your thoughts - please keep tem coming. I think you could have saved me a lot of dosh by stopping me going for the EarMax.

Positive comment re. the Lehmann definitely provides food for though. It looks well made - thx.

As an aside - note sure I would go for Creek again - both CD player and amp have had faults - amp had to go back for repair and the CD player needs to go back for repair. They sound good though.

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #23 of 28
With good tubes, the X-cans 3 also works well with the GS-1000s. I didn't like the combo originally until I did some tube rolling.

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #24 of 28
As you are EU based, maybe you should check/audition the RudiStor.

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #26 of 28
I agree with stokitw and Quinto -- Grace m902 is a great match with the GS1K. But be sure to use the S/PDIF inputs instead of the USB.

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #27 of 28
Any thoughts re the Benchmark DAC1 / DAC1 Pre ? FWIR, it matches the M902, but with more warmth : I realise that isnt to everyone's taste, but interested to hear from anyone who has this particular combination.

Stereophile: Benchmark DAC1 Pre USB D/A headphone amplifier

(yes, I am aware that the above claims the Benchmark is anything but warm, but its the exception to the reviews I have read ...)

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #28 of 28
What do y'all think about a Ray Samuels HR2 with the GS1000i?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back