Grado GS1000 vs STAX SR-007 MKII, who is picking the glove ?
Sep 29, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just for the record. The source was Marantz CD12/DA12 and not NAD C542 when I tried through RPX 100, however still not a tube one...

Yes I knew it wasn't your NAD you used, I just mentioned it as I have that player as well to show that also the source makes a difference, not just the amp. Anyway it is quite possibly that you wouldn't even like the RPX-100 with my tube cd player as we might just have different taste. Also I have never heard the GS-1000 with a good tube amp as I had sold my EarMax AE before I got the GS-1000 however that amp paired with my tube cd player was just too much tuby warmth and fuzzyness, it worked much better with my NAD player so synergi is king. I have now found a combo that I really love and am not likely to change much if any in the foreseeable future.

Sep 29, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #17 of 19
I think they both are on the same level, but they are complete opposites in the sound they produce.

If you are looking for warmth, soft, smooth, impactful bass, more color, etc. The GS-1000s might be better

If you looking at incredible resolving power, incredible speed (even more than the very fast GS-1000), accuracy, etc. then the Stax would be the ticket.

They can both be addicting, exciting, but without an appropriate amp that will synergize with it, the GS-1000 (not sure about the 007) can sound pretty mediocre to bad.

Ideally, having both would be a good idea as they have a much different sound.

Quote:

So
Can I assume that GS1000 with a very good amp can sound as good as a STAX or better or what ?

So, yes...

Sep 29, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they both are on the same level, but they are complete opposites in the sound they produce.

If you are looking for warth, soft, smooth, impactful bass, more color, etc. The GS-1000s might be better

If you looking at incredible resolving power, incredible speed (even more than the very fast GS-1000), accuracy, etc. then the Stax would be the ticket.

They can both be addicting, exciting, but without a appropriate amp that will synergize with it, the GS-1000 (not sure about the 007) can sound pretty mediocre at best.

Ideally, having both would be a good idea as they have a much different sound.

So, yes...

What he said. There are so many variables that one headphone can not be put above another on an absolute scale, unless one is comparative dreck, which even I will admit, the Grado in question is not. There is one fellow who comes to our local meets with TOTL-ish Sony's and he swears by them, as do many here. However, I can not stand them, but are they BAD headphones? No, just a flavor I do not like.

So! Is A better than B (G better than S)? Maybe, but only if you are checking a single parameter.

Sep 30, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #19 of 19
I have the GS-1000's...I have heard the STAX..they are both great..I posted before something like this...

I we were to pick the best one we could go on forever debating the pros and cons. I like them both but preferred the GS1000's due to the flexibility of playing them out of any source/anywhere w/out needing special equipment for it..do not get me wrong..GARABAGE IN GARBAGE OUT still applies here...but from a $25 CMOY amp to a tube amp the Grados have no substitute...Quality at any level. When comparing them tio the other top headhones..it's like comparing Sweet and Low to Spelnda...both sweet but very different...but both will do the job.

The Stax in my opinion are right up there with the 650's ..if Grados did not exist;they would hold a place at my desk...either one rocks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back