Grado GS1000 vs. headfi’s Grado Elite’s
Feb 26, 2010 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

CrazyRay

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I have never heard the Grado GS1000’s.
What do you think the difference would be compared to headfile’s Grado Elite’s?
Night and day or very similar?

hd4bea1.jpg

1gs1000i.jpg

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 15
You are correct jax.

Grado Elite... Wide tops, deep version with multiple layers of Ebony and Bloodwood with matching end tips, splitter, CJC on the 2.0 meter BlackGold to Neutrik 1/4" plug, with domed stealth screens. Rare Joe Grado red lettered headband with black rod locks, new flat pads (and bowls).
Drivers current Grado, 325i tweaked by HEADPHILE.

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I meant Headphile.

Well, I can't comment directly as I'm sure that changing the housing will change the presentation of the 325i driver. I own GS1000's and can say that they don't sound anything like the few Grado's I have heard in the Prestige series. I could only hazard a guess based on the differences in those stock drivers, but I don't think that would be a fair assessment. I can comment on what GS1000's are like and have posted as much here. I recall someone else here posting about owning those Headphile cans - you'd really have to find someone who's actually heard both (of course). Anything less is speculation - that's why I thought Larry would be the perfect resource to comment. I'll be curious to hear experienced opinions on this as well.

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 15
Two minor points:

Larry uses the term "Elite" to signify those headphones that were built with all of the best stuff (Neutrik plugs, splitter, CJC, a non-basic cable choice etc) and two or more woods.

A great many Hf-1 owners availed themselves of the Headphile mods. - incl. a version with a larger (deeper) shell...........while I wasn't able to get HF-1 from Todd at the time .........if you use H.Fi Search Function you will come up with a great many mentions and opinions of owners as to their differences in sound.

I have had 2 HF-2 converted to The Vixen and have no desire to listen to HF-2 in its' original form. (again, search function is your friend).

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 15
Well for starters, one uses a 325i driver and the other a GS1000 driver. So their sonics are probably very different from each other.

While Headphile creates some beautiful looking headphones, I could never justify paying the prices they charge for them.

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well for starters, one uses a 325i driver and the other a GS1000 driver. So their sonics are probably very different from each other.

While Headphile creates some beautiful looking headphones, I could never justify paying the prices they charge for them.

But man do they look really cool!

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #12 of 15
I never heard this particular Headphile grado, but I've modded my 325is extensively (also with deep cups) and now also own a Grado Magnum. I also own the GS1000.
Main difference was always that the GS1000 are much more laid back and much more spacious. The 325is are always more forward and have a smaller soundstage. Bass in the GS1000 probably goes deeper, but I know that modded 325is can have plenty of bass too, just not as deep as the GS1000. Overall the GS1000 will sound more refined and sophisticated.

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, look doesnt mean a ****.

Finally someone who doesn't give a toss about appearance! Looks like I found someone who will take my adult-sized cowboy jammies - you'll be the life of the party, I'm sure. It'll be kind of expensive to ship them all the way to the Netherlands, but I'm glad they'll go to good use.
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #15 of 15
I have never heard the Headphile Grado Elite. But have heard the stock SR325i and the GS1000.
They sound quite different. The GS1000 have noticeable more bass extension and wider sound/head-stage. If the Grado Elite inherited the SR325i sound then I would expect the same to still stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back