Grado GS1000--first impressions not so good
Aug 31, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #61 of 156
To this point, I can't say... I've noticed any harshness in their highs at all. Nothing at all like that of the RS-1's, or other Grados.

Aug 31, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #62 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To this point, I can't say... I've noticed any harshness in their highs at all. Nothing at all like that of the RS-1's, or other Grados.

It was only with certain songs and limited to a certain high. It was in no way a constant occurance. Well even better for you then.

Frank

Aug 31, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #63 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headphone break-in

The perception theory seems most likely to me. Just doesn't seem likely a small headphone driver needs 400 hours to loosen up.

Also I believe most of the high fi headphone makers claim their headphones are awsome right out of the box. Be interesting to find a headphone company that actually suggests burn-in in their manuals. I'll bet it will be hard to find.

Edit: Maybe ultrasones recommend them. From these forums, people suggest ridiculous amount of burn-in time. Maybe ultrasone picked up on that.

The edition 9s and possibly 7s advise burn in in their documentation whether it was on a card in the box or in their manual I forget.

Sep 1, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #65 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard the GS-1000 for a long time at a hifi dealer using really nice equipment and I couldn't get over the sibilance or brightness.

Well my guess would be thet weren't a seasoned pair. Good equipment helps
but if they don't have enough play time it doesn't matter much how good it is.

Sep 1, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #66 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by fc911c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my guess would be thet weren't a seasoned pair. Good equipment helps
but if they don't have enough play time it doesn't matter much how good it is.

They probably had 600+ hours on them according to him, this is one of the first things I asked before listening. I've heard a well burned in pair at a meet and came to same conclusion. I'm not the only one to think this either, lots of people sold them after the hype died down after the first national meet.

edit: I used well recorded rock (DCC, MFSL), jazz (Tzadik, AP, Telarc), blues and female jazz vocals- all discs I was very familiar with.

Sep 1, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #67 of 156
Quote:

They probably had 600+ hours on them according to him, this is one of the first things I asked before listening. I've heard a well burned in pair at a meet and came to same conclusion. I'm not the only one to think this either, lots of people sold them after the hype died down after the first national meet.

edit: I used well recorded rock (DCC, MFSL), jazz (Tzadik, AP, Telarc), blues and female jazz vocals- all discs I was very familiar with.

Well lots of people think this and lots of people don't, so who's right? Are you trying to say that the people that dissagree with you are wrong?

Sep 1, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #68 of 156
Quote:

Well lots of people think this and lots of people don't, so who's right? Are you trying to say that the people that dissagree with you are wrong?

No I gave my opinion to the original poster and that's all. It seems you were the one trying to convince me with the poor assumption that they "weren't a seasoned pair".

Sep 1, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #69 of 156
Quote:

No I gave my opinion to the original poster and that's all. It seems you were the one trying to convince me with the poor assumption that they "weren't a seasoned pair".

well if they weren't your pair how could you REALLY know how many hrs they had CAN YOU? A lot of people told me a lot of things and 80% is BS. Anyway I have to go and get drunk now so ta ta.

Sep 1, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #70 of 156
Quote:

No one is right or wrong. We're all created differently. Thanks to mom & dad
tongue.gif
and whoever created them.

I wish that I know exactly how you hear and/or what your hear.

It's great that you enjoy a particular pair of cans, and I feel sorry for your wallet if you don't find them fit your taste.
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #71 of 156
"No one is right or wrong" True words.

I'm amazed at how many people spend so much money on gear when they haven't had a hearing test in ages. I mean a really good test that shows your response curve. I consider myself a really good listener- able to discern the slightest things. That's true for the most part, but what came as a surprise on my last check-up was a bit of scar tissue in my left ear. I assume this manifested after a verly slight rupture 2 yrs ago during an illness. You'd think that would make my hearing less responsive in a particular frequency, but the adverse is true- I have a sensitivity @ about the 7Khz range. My hearing spikes at that point and drops like a stone after about 14Khz. All of this is in the left ear, of course. The right ear is pretty much normal.

What does this mean? I implemented a dreaded EQ in my main rig to drop the 7-10Khz range a bit and suddenly things sound linear and balanced. What I once considered a bit of glare coming from a pair of Raven R1's was actually my fault all along.

It is with this bit of knowledge I find the reports of harsh HF in a given pair of headphones a bit amusing- or any arguement over who is right and/or potentially wrong with a judgement of any kind regarding the "absolute" fidelity of ANY product. We are indeed all unique and so is our hearing. We also have many unique audio "goals".

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #73 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluetick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm amazed at how many people spend so much money on gear when they haven't had a hearing test in ages. I mean a really good test that shows your response curve. I consider myself a really good listener- able to discern the slightest things. That's true for the most part, but what came as a surprise on my last check-up was a bit of scar tissue in my left ear. I assume this manifested after a verly slight rupture 2 yrs ago during an illness. You'd think that would make my hearing less responsive in a particular frequency, but the adverse is true- I have a sensitivity @ about the 7Khz range. My hearing spikes at that point and drops like a stone after about 14Khz. All of this is in the left ear, of course. The right ear is pretty much normal.

What does this mean? I implemented a dreaded EQ in my main rig to drop the 7-10Khz range a bit and suddenly things sound linear and balanced. What I once considered a bit of glare coming from a pair of Raven R1's was actually my fault all along.

It is with this bit of knowledge I find the reports of harsh HF in a given pair of headphones a bit amusing- or any arguement over who is right and/or potentially wrong with a judgement of any kind regarding the "absolute" fidelity of ANY product. We are indeed all unique and so is our hearing. We also have many unique audio "goals".

What a great point. I would never have thought to get my ears tested in order to tweak the Audio equipment for better audio pleasure.

Sep 1, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #74 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a great point. I would never have thought to get my ears tested in order to tweak the Audio equipment for better audio pleasure.

Yep. You can bet that some of the best people in high end audio- designers, recording engineers, etc. get the ears checked regularly because they depend on them. They don;t all have golden ears, either. I know a few guys in the industry that have so-so hearing but because they know what limitations they have- they make better accomodations. They adjust to a benchmark that is within the scope of their particular hearing issue. That's just plain smart and scientific. I stole the idea of compensating for my hearing from Dr. Claude Fortier of S.O.T.A. fame. He's anyhting but pedestrian, so I took his advice to heart. Glad I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back