Grado GS-1000 Headroom review
May 23, 2006 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 245

Todd S

100+ Head-Fier
May 23, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 245
I was surprised there was no mention of it's soundstage. That seems to be the first thing everyone else mentions first.

May 23, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 245
Well gee, at least it's better than the RS1's score of 3.

May 23, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 245
Wouldn't you all agree the score was pretty much as expected? I mean we all know they are not huge fans of the Grado sound.

"In extended listening sessions, we found these headphones deliver low-volume listening satisfaction like no other."

This comment is of particular interest to me though though. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Of course their sound has to appeal to me too.

May 23, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 245
I'm not sure why they rated it so low when no one has yet bad mouthed the GS-1000's SQ even in the slightest. Everyone claims they're the best thing since sliced bread.

May 23, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 245
I guess they chopped off the top 1.5 for the high-volume artifacting and the price? I haven't heard any other reports of such a phenomina

May 23, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 245
The reason it's a 1.5 is probably because it's so expensive. They are value ratings, and not performance ratings.

May 23, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #8 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
I'm not sure why they rated it so low when no one has yet bad mouthed the GS-1000's SQ even in the slightest. Everyone claims they're the best thing since sliced bread.

Who the **** cares? Everybody hears differently. I (and I'm sure headroom themselves) is sick of everybody picking through their ratings to find things they disagree with. Well of course you disagree, they're opinions! What do else do you want?

As for everybody thinking it's the BEST EVAR there is a thing called hype and fotm.

May 23, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #9 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Who the **** cares?

I agree. This rating is meaningless at best, and more likely just plain mean.

May 23, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #10 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
and more likely just plain mean.

What exactly do you mean be that? The rating itself, or the criticism of the ratings? I'm a bit confused.
tongue.gif

May 23, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #11 of 245
Quote:

While the textual review is hardly the fanboyesque praise of perfection currently being bellowed loudly across head-fi, I can hardly see that it's mean. For christ's sake, they "heartily recommend" the GS1000 for a specific purpose. I suppose one could take contention to the value rating, but considering it's a $1000 headphone, value is not exactly the word that comes to mind, irrespective of the performance. There are very few things that constitute a perfect value at $1000, and I'd be hard pressed to say a headphone is one of them, no matter how much I like headphones.

Meaningless? Come on! To someone new to headphones reading that description, it is quite useful to get an idea of what the GS1000 might sound like, and what it would be good for. The value rating says "be carfeul with your $1000 since it's not a one-size fits all uses product."

I know there has been some anti-headroom vibe aroudn here lately, but jeez, let's be somewhat more respectful of an entity which is probably more responsible for the rise of this headphone hobby than Grado Labs themselves are. Sure, only take what they have to say with a grain of salt, in the proper context, and as a voice amongst many, but don't dismiss their contributions simply because one doesn't always agree with their point of view.

May 23, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #12 of 245
Unfortunately, business comes first. The same thing with stereophile, but I'm sure he gave that rating with a 'wink'
wink.gif

Too many headphone supremists have said it was amazing and I haven't heard a negative, so...

May 23, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #13 of 245
Quote:

LOL, I hope you are joking Wayne. As has already been pointed out, these are value ratings. Besides, looking at the score's of other headphones on their list... 3.5 aint half bad.
wink.gif

EDIT: Not to mention he compares the damn headphone to a Stradivarius! I really don't see how that could be taken as an insult.
tongue.gif

May 23, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #14 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Unfortunately, business comes first.

Just curious what that means? Since HeadRoom makes the most profit off Grado headphones, wouldn't a 6/5 review be best for business? Or am I missing something?

May 23, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 245
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard
Or am I missing something?

Yes, but you had best not go there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back