Grado GS 1000 better sound with tighter fit
Jun 7, 2008 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tunes

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got my modded GS 1000 with SAA recable....fantastic!

The only problem is that I have a small head (not brain) and the phones do not clamp very tight to my head. There seems to be trade off between a good seal giving better punchier bass and better sound stage and comfort. If I push the earcups closer to my ears by about 1/4 inche, I like the sound even better.

Can the metal head band be bent into a smaller radius for a tighter fit? Is tere any other solution other than growing a bigger head or holding the cups when listening??

Jun 7, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as far as i have heard, the headband is supposed to be bent for individual fit.

yes, yes, that's right. i know it seems a bit discomforting(especially on your $1000+ 'phones), but give the headband a slight inward bend. there's a metal strip in there that will stayed formed how you want it.

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 6
Yes no problem at all, I also did this and got more focused sound and the phones stay on my head much better

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 6
I remembered reading in the paper that comes with the RS1 when I owned them that you could stretch the headband for a looser fit. On the paper that came with my GS1000 it says:

"If your headphones fit a little Tight.... The headband may be stretched open slighly by pulling at the ends of the headband. Please keep in mind not to over stretch the headband, we don't want the headphones to be loose and falling off your head."

I'm guessing that you could bend it inward for a more tighter fit as well.

If you had any questions they have there email at info@gradolabs.com or call them at (781) 435-5340. I emailed them before and they got back to me in a reasonable amount of time. Best of luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by tunes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my modded GS 1000 with SAA recable....fantastic!

The only problem is that I have a small head (not brain) and the phones do not clamp very tight to my head. There seems to be trade off between a good seal giving better punchier bass and better sound stage and comfort. If I push the earcups closer to my ears by about 1/4 inche, I like the sound even better.

Can the metal head band be bent into a smaller radius for a tighter fit? Is tere any other solution other than growing a bigger head or holding the cups when listening??

Yes, theoretcally... but... it's awfully difficult to get them to fit as tight as when you press them closer to your head/ears. Their sound improves, greatly, when you do that. I tried to get them to fit more tightly, and didn't have a lot of success with it... but... then I was being very careful not to damage them.

You might want to return them to Grado for "resizing" - I suspect they could do that, or bend them to fit you. You may want to send in some measurements, dimensions for them to match... and tell them you want them to fit "tightly."

Also... I think one reason they fit less snugly, is the pressure the earpads exert against your ears to hold them away. You may be able to wash and "distress" the earpads enough to get them to "relax and collapse" a bit to allow them to fit more tightly.

You might also try the RS-1 earpads. Though - Other's have - and have reported they didn't like the sound as well with the RS-1 earpads. However, I would think it might improve their sound - though reduce the size of their soundstage. But, that would be just fine for me - since I prefer the more intimate sound of the RS-1s.

I returned them to the retailer, because I didn't want to "fuss" with all of that, and I wasn't sure they ever would fit "tightly" enough - though, I was able to adjust my RS-1s to fit tightly. Perhaps, Grado might be able to switch the headband to the RS-1s headband, which might fit more tightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back