Grado GS-1000 appreciation thread
Jan 22, 2008 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BobMajor

100+ Head-Fier
The Grado GS-1000 is an audiophile headphone.
For various reasons a majority of the comments posted at HeadFi have been critical or dismissive of this remarkable achievement of John Grado.
Because I think it is the best audiophile headphone made I decided I couldn't sit back and be silent anymore.
So what is the audiophile experience?
An audiophile system attempts to recreate the recorded event as close to its original sound as possible. This requires a very refined source, a clean power source, excellent amplifier, cables and speakers (headphone) . Obviously this is quite expensive. So it's not for everyone.
Should everyone aim to have an audiophile system?
Not necessarily. There are several reasons why faithful reproduction of the musical content may not even be desireable. If most of the recorded music a person likes to listen to is not recorded in a natural accoustic (the instruments are individually miked without reference to each other), or is recorded with indifferent quality equipment, then faithfully reproducing the music can be quite disappointing.
This isn't to criticise people who listen to music that has been recorded this way. The ONLY criteria for assembling an audio system is that it provides an enjoyable experience for the listener. Along with these considerations, money constraints require a judicious selection of components to give the best experience at a particular price point. Some components are specifically designed to provide “euphonic distortion” which makes non-audiophile recordings more listenable.

The Grado GS-1000 is expensive because it is made to very exacting standards and in very small quantities to satisfy a small group of audiophile headphone listeners. I will try to give an impression of what the experience is like.
I primarily listen to classical music. Out of all classical recording most are recorded to deliver a performance as if it had been recorded with just two microphones which gives the most realistic accoustical experience. The reason 2 mics will give a realistic experience is that when the performers make noise with their instruments or voices the sound doesn't just go directly to the mic but also travels to all the walls, floor and ceiling and then that noise bounces around and some of it eventually arrives at the mic also. There are many thousands of reflections. An audiophile system tries to faithfully reproduce all of these ambient reflected sounds as well as the direct sounds. The result is a sense of the space in which the performance occurred.
A choral work recorded in a cathedral is a good example of this. If I listen to such a work on cheap phones then you only get a hazy idea that the performance was in a big space. With the Grado GS1000 the sense of space is amazing. Everyone who has heard my system comments that the soundstage is huge. This is because the ambient detail is faithfully reproduced.
Another corallary feature of the GS1000 is that when only a few performers are recorded, the sound of each performer is palpably three dimensional. The voice, for instance, stands in it's own space but is surrounded by space defined by the reflections of the voice.
The timbre of the phones is also excellent. The GS1000 does have a slight treble spike and an accentuated bass which can be handled by listening at a somewhat lower volume. Due to the “loudness” effect this causes the listener to preceive the frequency response as being flat. Since the phone provide so much detail this would be quite satisfactory for most listeners. I listen on a computer audio system and can use an equalizer in Foobar2000 to fix these slight peaks.
The overall sound is full bodied and realistic. Compared to my VMPS speakers which are a hybrid design with ribbon tweater, planar midrange, and dynamic woofer, the sound is surprisingly comparable. Good speakers deliver a more realistic three-dimensional image but don't usually provide such a microscopic look into the soundstage as headphones can.

I'm extraordinarily pleased with the Grado headphones which were preceded by Beyerdynamic DT990s, Sennheiser HD600, and then Sony SA5000 headphones.

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 17
there is already a gs-1000 thread devoted to this.

Jan 22, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is already a gs-1000 thread devoted to this.

Its all good. Nice to see the GS-1k getting some much deserved love. Nice write up Bob.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Its a fantastic headphone that has very few equals.

Jan 22, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 17
Nice writeup. I agree - it's not just the size of the soundstage, but the GS has the uncanny ability to recreate the sense of space in the recording like nothing else I've heard. It's like you're in the recording studio, or movie studio, and you can smell the dampness in the air and although you can't see the walls around you, you can hear them.

And I doubt any other headphone at any price range even competes with it when it comes to low level listening. In that regard it's simply at another level compared to everything else I've heard.

Jan 22, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 17
My adding this thread wasn't trying to outdo Zanth! but to address criticism of the Grado's. If you're not interested in the audiophile experience there's no reason to spend the money on these headphones.

Jan 22, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobMajor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My adding this thread wasn't trying to outdo Zanth! but to address criticism of the Grado's. If you're not interested in the audiophile experience there's no reason to spend the money on these headphones.

So you're saying that people are not "audiophiles" unless they buy the GS-1000?
rolleyes.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #8 of 17
No, he's saying that people who aren't audiophiles shouldn't buy the GS1000. I believe those were the words.

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #10 of 17
Actually, these pair of Grados have piqued my interest for some time now (which not too many headphones do, as I've heard so many and none of them compare to the D5000 for my taste). I'm not sure why they are such a curiosity really, since every Grado I've heard makes me wish I was listening to something else less painful. But it is said that the GS1000 do not have the typical Grado shrill and do sound quite spectacular.

If anyone's got an extra pair they could lend me for a review, I'd be more than grateful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But it is said that the GS1000 do not have the typical Grado shrill and do sound quite spectacular.

I know this is an appreciation thread but I am going to dissent on the shrill statement. Some obviously believe the GS1000 sounds great and that is a subjective opinion you can only verify by listening. But, before you believe the GS1000 is not shrill or tipped up you need to sample a pair. I have owned every Grado, old and new, except the 300/325 .... and in my experience the GS1000 has the most immediately noticeable treble sheen and sibilance of any Grado .... except possibly the old SR-325. This treble exaggeration is real and clearly present in the headroom graphs. Moreover, despite claims to the contrary, I can hear the sheen overlaying cymbals etc... even at low listening volumes.

The only reason you may not notice this immediately is the overblown bass at the other end of the spectrum. But, all of my friends I have regular contact with who bought the GS1000 (7) have all came to dislike the treble presentation and sold them; with one exception. Tubes or SS amps, good sources, forgiving IC cables, 70db SPL listening level .... nothing I tried made the GS1000 sing for me in my setup or listening to my friends systems. Please note I am a Grado user and currently own SR-80's, MS2's, MS2i's. I dont hate Grado headphones. I am thinking about adding a pair of MS Pro's. But, if you are the least bit treble sensitive I doubt this headphone would be for you. I would certainly seek out a pair of 1000's and listen before laying down $1k on them.

Jan 22, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #12 of 17
That's pretty much explains why you like Alessandro's, I guess. I owned MS PRO and while they are very nice phones I still missing that sparkle, crisp highs that they do not have, period. MS PRO is less forward, not that punchy and having not extended highs, I would say rolled off one. They are pretty neutral sounding and less coloured as well ( comparing to RS1 ), which make them less exiting, if exiting and the coloration the same to you of course.
One of the things I did like about MS PRO is that you can listen at very high volume level without any issues at all. So, for someone who love such way of listening MS PRO are way to go, imo. But their neutral, I would say sometimes flat and pretty thin sound sig didn't get me at all.

Anyhow, GS1000 have this crispiness, which must be tempted by good source, neutral IC and matched amp as well. Amp which must do not give you any extra coloration, because it would have directly influence on GS1000 sound and not in the best way for sure.
I wrote it before and I will say it now, GS1000 can be shrill, bass heavy, pretty mids sucking with no balance at all.
On the other hand, GS1000 can be very tasteful, having sweet highs, full body mids and totally controlled punchy bass. Their balance, detail and instrument separation can drive you crazy. Using with good quality records you will hear the best drum punch that any Grado can deliver, even PS1 sucks over there, at least in my system, so YES I agree with you, before any purchase, check them out with your own system, if possible, and be aware that you may have to rebuild the whole system around to get best of them. Other than that, they are very good, simply brilliant pair of phones.

All those opinion differences telling us about that each high end HP needs their own system to shine. Even you are not the person hoe likes neutral or coloured sound, but when its been delivered like it suppose to be, than the only thing that would remain is the holy enjoyment, imo.

My 2 cents...

THX
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is an appreciation thread but I am going to dissent on the shrill statement. Some obviously believe the GS1000 sounds great and that is a subjective opinion you can only verify by listening. But, before you believe the GS1000 is not shrill or tipped up you need to sample a pair. I have owned every Grado, old and new, except the 300/325 .... and in my experience the GS1000 has the most immediately noticeable treble sheen and sibilance of any Grado .... except possibly the old SR-325. This treble exaggeration is real and clearly present in the headroom graphs. Moreover, despite claims to the contrary, I can hear the sheen overlaying cymbals etc... even at low listening volumes.

The only reason you may not notice this immediately is the overblown bass at the other end of the spectrum. But, all of my friends I have regular contact with who bought the GS1000 (7) have all came to dislike the treble presentation and sold them; with one exception. Tubes or SS amps, good sources, forgiving IC cables, 70db SPL listening level .... nothing I tried made the GS1000 sing for me in my setup or listening to my friends systems. Please note I am a Grado user and currently own SR-80's, MS2's, MS2i's. I dont hate Grado headphones. I am thinking about adding a pair of MS Pro's. But, if you are the least bit treble sensitive I doubt this headphone would be for you. I would certainly seek out a pair of 1000's and listen before laying down $1k on them.

Jan 22, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #13 of 17
Plainly speaking, there is not another Grado with the imaging and realism that the GS delivers, period. Along with tossing a massive headstage, acoustic reproduction and this phone's strengths for larger pieces, such as orchestra works and/or live ensembles, makes the GS by far the most effective Grado in reproducing entire frequency range. Which, this can occur only when properly amplified. Colored, yes..but all Grados bear coloration.. It is this emotion that keeps people reaching for a Grado.

For some people's ears, (mine included) the GS is the most comfortable of all Grado phones with regards to fit, weight, and ability to wear normally. Maybe the GS is the most comfy of any headphone ever.

This is a GS appreciation thread, and expect many in the future to post here, as it is a special headphone indeed. And like any high-end phone, you must pay attention to tubes used, amplifcation selected, and IC's associated in order tame or mate the signal path accordingly.
Like Earl says, listen to your own ears. I have owned every Aless phone and echo Blackmores comments for my purposes; in that, I don't find Aless phones near as engaging nor involving as the John/Joe phones. I expect it depends on the music preferences you are into and the way your brain processes, tolerates, or craves certain sounds in the frequency range. All are crucial in determining whether to host a system around a certain piece of gear.

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #14 of 17
Audiofiler .... the one exception I mentioned .... although I did think of someone else who still may have their GS1000 too.

You guys must really like treble because I find the Alessandro MS2 to hot with bowl pads; flats are a necessity for me. Not to mention, I sometimes tone them down even more with some tuberolling. Anyway, I will let you get back to your GS1000 love.

Jan 22, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audiofiler .... the one exception I mentioned .... although I did think of someone else who still may have their GS1000 too.

You guys must really like treble because I find the Alessandro MS2 to hot with bowl pads; flats are a necessity for me. Not to mention, I sometimes tone them down even more with some tuberolling. Anyway, I will let you get back to your GS1000 love.

SACD lover, no worries whatsoever. Since a GS appreciation thread, I was stating the traits which are suited to the GS. Imaging, soundstage, and comfort which IMO cannot be overlooked when discussing this can, and in the right setup.

There really is no comparison with respect to the size of the headstage for the GS VS all other Grado phones, a trait desired by some.

Sacrificing fit for form sometimes is equally important to some listeners as is having to mate a certain IC, amp, or whatever to get the desired effect. (or tame it) Also worth mentioning, is that I listen almost exclusively to Vinyl with the GS, which the GS is known to sound very good with. (smoother highs, more controlled marks in low band, and without the exaggerated MR hump that most CD transports project) The impact and involving nature of the 3D imaging is what makes the GS standout with certain genres of music in my experience, I prefer the Black Dragon recabled GS to the stock.

I miss talking with you SACD. Love the look by the way of the custom SP amp you finally got finished. It is just a monster!! sorry to go off topic,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back