Grado GH-1 Discussion
Mar 4, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #661 of 1,091
  i'm with you on this one.

Like I said earlier, I hadn't used my ps1k in a some time and when I finally did like 2 weeks ago, it took a bit to get used to again. The treble is just very upfront compared to just about anything else out there. Once my ears adjusted (after a few tracks), it was toe tappin' and head bobbin' time. Very lively and enjoyable cans IMO.  I knew then why I've kept them vs the other Grados.

The treble on my PS1K was never forward/bright in any way…different variants I guess.

I love the sound but I can't get over the weight. Shifting my head from side to side only slightly reminds me what's on my head. I'm constantly reminded that I'm wearing headphones. I feel the same way about all models of Audeze's, and have said that in a couple Audeze threads. One of the things I love about the GH1's, especially with the G-cush is that it (almost) totally removes you from the experience of wearing headphones. Of course you can feel them but the feeling isn't intrusive or obnoxious to the point where you want to take them off. I can wear these for an hour or more without feeling bothered at all. That just isn't the case with most headphones, including the aforementioned PS1k, Audeze etc. 

The weight of the PS1Kx doesn't bother me I can wear them 3-5hrs with no issues. I agree about the GH-1 w/(G) cushions though…its like nothing is on your head!

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #662 of 1,091
  The treble on my PS1K was never forward/bright in any way…different variants I guess.

The weight of the PS1Kx doesn't bother me I can wear them 3-5hrs with no issues. I agree about the GH-1 w/(G) cushions though…its like nothing is on your head!

Agreed! Treble on the PS1k has a nice weight-full attack. It's not too punchy or even remotely thin. Out of my headphone collection, it has the best treble response.

The actual weight of the PS1k is heavy. The max I've listened to them in one sitting is 2 hours. After the first hour I can feel them weighing down on my head. Once I adjust the gimbles up it settles in more comfortably.

Does anyone feel the gimbles on the GH1 are too short? I have mine all the way up when listening. I'm just used to all my other Grados where I have some extra centimeters to adjust.

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #663 of 1,091

size]

popcorn.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #664 of 1,091

Agreed! Treble on the PS1k has a nice weight-full attack. It's not too punchy or even remotely thin. Out of my headphone collection, it has the best treble response.

The actual weight of the PS1k is heavy. The max I've listened to them in one sitting is 2 hours. After the first hour I can feel them weighing down on my head. Once I adjust the gimbles up it settles in more comfortably.

Does anyone feel the gimbles on the GH1 are too short? I have mine all the way up when listening. I'm just used to all my other Grados where I have some extra centimeters to adjust.

Really?

I haven't done any measurements, but I do have the rods on my GH-1 almost to where the (G) cushions are touching the rod blocks…but then again, they weren't designed around the (G) cushions.

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #665 of 1,091
Congratz on the GH-1 again Worms
beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #666 of 1,091

''Gimbals'', I'm assuming that you're talking about the rods, or the ''antenas''. If you think that they're too short, you either have VERY thick hair, a cone shaped head, or a little of both!
tongue.gif

I do agree about the PS1k becoming uncomfortable after a while, but then, I have a smallish head, and a pencil neck!
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #667 of 1,091
  Really?

I haven't done any measurements, but I do have the rods on my GH-1 almost to where the (G) cushions are touching the rod blocks…but then again, they weren't designed around the (G) cushions.

That's not to say I haven't gone back for seconds or thirds in listening sessions in a day! The G cushions are coming into contact with the rods on mine too, but that's when they're hanging on my headphone stand. They're just millimeters away from the rod when I'm wearing them.

''Gimbals'', I'm assuming that you're talking about the rods, or the ''antenas''. If you think that they're too short, you either have VERY thick hair, a cone shaped head, or a little of both!
tongue.gif

I do agree about the PS1k becoming uncomfortable after a while, but then, I have a smallish head, and a pencil neck!
biggrin.gif

I feel like my melon is of average shape as are my ears.
gs1000.gif

I can tell you that the GH1 is the only Grado I've ever had where I have the rods set all the way up and that's with either cushions too. It fits me perfectly, very lightweight, and comfortable. It's just an observation.

Mar 4, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #668 of 1,091
  How do other Grado-heads scratch their bass itch? Is there a bassy Grado?  Maybe the PS500 or 500e?  I have the PS500 and while the most bass-rich, I don't think it is really bassy.

Or do folks do as I did... get either another open headphone (for me, HiFiMAN HE-1000) or a great closed headphone (mine is the Ultrasone Edition 8) for their bass fix?

Or is there a particularly bassy amp/Grado combination that works?

I use the original PS500 as well when I have the itch for some bass (Grado bass) but if I feel the need for something greater in the bass department I switch to my Sony MDR-Z7.
L3000.gif

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #669 of 1,091
Hey guys!

I left the headphone game for a good 5 years. It started back in grade 8, when I ate my way up the Grado food chain until I purchased a pair of RS1is new from the store. All my money-- gone! I eventually gave up on trying to find the perfect sound, and sold all my headphones in frustration.

Fast forward to a few months ago. I decided to get back into the game, now that I'm gainfully employed and have some disposable income (what are savings, anyway?). I picked up a pair of original PS500s used. I really liked them, but kept reading about how the midrange is recessed compared to other Grados. Then I noticed all the acclaim and praise for the RS2e. After reading through most of the discussions of Grado headphones on this forum, and elsewhere, a pair of RS2es popped up on kijiji. I end up boldly purchasing them without first selling my PS500s, as I decided that I'd own both for a while and determine which of the two I want to keep.

Problem is, even after a few months of owning them, and comparing them endlessly (along with my dad's PS500es), I'm torn; I love the energy and resolution of the RS2es, especially with vocals, but their lack of bass leaves them sounding brittle and thin with many tracks. It also hurts the dimensionality of them, resulting in a sound that's a little dispersed, undefined, and wispy. The PS500s are punchy and fun, but they have a "bass cloud" effect, where anything that could be considered bass is cranked way up on the frequency response, sometimes obscuring the mids. The PS500es are nice, but they lack the vocal presence and energy of the RS2es. I do adore their depth and dimensionality, though.

Enter the GH1s. Damn, it's hard to enjoy the RS2es when I read all this praise for Grado's limited edition wonder! And it sounds like the perfect marriage of the qualities I like in both of my headphones.

Anyway, I live in Canada and MacedonianHero bought the last pair of GH1s around (congrats on the headphones! Enjoy them in good health). I did manage to locate a few pairs in the US, but it's going to be expensive. At least $860 CAD, and it would involve driving across the border and picking them up from a remote mailbox, as they can't be shipping over the border due to Grado's policies. That said, I'm willing to do it. All I need to know:

Is it worth it? Hype aside, are the GH1s really that good? And do they lose any of the magic of the RS2es in terms of liveliness and vocal presentation?

Thanks!
Mark

Summary:
- I already own the PS500 and RS2e, having originally intended to sell one of them
- I like different things about both
- The GH1 is supposed to be mindblowingly good and the best of both. Is it worth the premium?

Addendum: I have a heavily upgraded LD1+, and my source is the Cambridge Audio DacMagic XS out of my Macbook.

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #670 of 1,091

Summary:
- I already own the PS500 and RS2e, having originally intended to sell one of them
- I like different things about both
- The GH1 is supposed to be mindblowingly good and the best of both. Is it worth the premium?

Addendum: I have a heavily upgraded LD1+, and my source is the Cambridge Audio DacMagic XS out of my Macbook.

If I was in your position I'd pick up a GH1 and sell the RS2. 

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #672 of 1,091
I had the RS2e and switched to the GH-1 recently.  I really enjoyed the RS2e, listening to it a couple of hours a day. Then I realized that I was forcing myself sometimes to keep listening; the treble was too lively for my ears on those occasions.  I did find the bass adequate for my listening preferences, the mid range was the best part - I felt like I was in the middle of the orchestra/band.

Enter the GH-1. None of the treble issues I had with the RS2e. I can listen to any of my favorite albums without experiencing discomfort from the treble.  The sound coming from the GH-1 sounds fuller. The extra bass is appreciated; most of all, I like that it doesn't muddy the mid bass.  It's a very smooth headphone. I do think that the mid region in the RS2e was ever slightly more engaging than the GH-1.  That "vocal energy and presence" in the RS2e like you say is very special.

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #673 of 1,091
  How do other Grado-heads scratch their bass itch? Is there a bassy Grado?  Maybe the PS500 or 500e?  I have the PS500 and while the most bass-rich, I don't think it is really bassy.

Or do folks do as I did... get either another open headphone (for me, HiFiMAN HE-1000) or a great closed headphone (mine is the Ultrasone Edition 8) for their bass fix?

Or is there a particularly bassy amp/Grado combination that works?

For me the GH-1 leaves me without a bass itch to scratch.  It's not head-thumping bass, but head-thumping bass is not natural sounding.  To me the GH-1 is very neutral.  It doesn't emphasize any portion of it's frequency range over another, there is a wonderful balance across highs, mids, and lows.  If you enjoy a neutral sound, the GH-1 is just perfect.  Just the right amount of rich, impactful, realistic bass without any sort of bloat.  Precisely what I was looking for in a headphone.

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #675 of 1,091
You're doing a good job of convincing me! Probably going to pull the trigger later today. Expect a detailed comparison of the GH1, RS2e, PS500, and PS500e when I receive them in a few weeks.

Also, I already have a pair of G-cush floating around, so I'm looking forward to trying that too!

Thank you for everyone's help and contributions to this thread. I would never have known a thing about these headphones without all of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back