Grado GH-1 Discussion
Oct 14, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #316 of 1,091
If I'm not mistaking, the Bushmills were sold out in less than 24 hours, so I find it surprsing that there are still some GH-1 left.

I don't know why Grado isn't giving us the exact number of GH-1 that were produced. I mean, surely they must be done cutting up that tree by now.
rolleyes.gif

In my opinion, the Bushmills, and GH-1's production numbers, should be available on their website. Joseph Grado wasn't secretive about his limited edition HP1000's production numbers, so I don't know why John is.
confused.gif

I think the original estimate was 1000+. But depends on the yield they got out of the tree.
http://blog.gradolabs.com/grado-gh1/

1000+, can mean 1001, but it can also mean 1999, so it's not telling us much.

I can't help but think that the lack of a definitive production number, has a negative effect on their resale value. I didn't buy my GH-1 to resell them for a profit, but for those looking to sell theirs, it would be a good information to have.

I also think that limited edition products should have both, the serial, and production numbers written, or engraved on the earcups. It wouldn't be a big deal for Grado to write say, 543/1000.

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #318 of 1,091
I think also the fact that they are $650 usd compared to the, what was it? $395usd!
Bushmills are indeed a true Limited Edition! ...still wish they would've wrote serial numbers on 'em, though!

True, $255 + tax, is a significant price difference.

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #319 of 1,091

1000+, can mean 1001, but it can also mean 1999, so it's not telling us much.

I can't help but think that the lack of a definitive production number, has a negative effect on their resale value. I didn't buy my GH-1 to resell them for a profit, but for those looking to sell theirs, it would be a good information to have.

I laso think that limited edition products should have both, the serial, and production numbers written, or engraved on the earcups. It wouldn't be a big deal for Grado to write say, 543/1000.

How about this:
We all pick a number between 1 and 1000 and post it here (to avoid duplicates).  Then write that on cup with a sharpie.  After we all get our numbers we delete any post relating to this and then replace them with serious discussions about how the numbered GH1s are the TRUE limited edition units made from the Sacred Tree and any other GH1s are a mass production run made from some anonymous maple tree from NJ.  This way in the future if any of us wants to sell these we can do so for 10x retail and anyone Googling will end up back here and read the Internet Truth about why that's perfectly legit.  Sound like a plan?

L3000.gif

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #320 of 1,091

How about this:
We all pick a number between 1 and 1000 and post it here (to avoid duplicates).  Then write that on cup with a sharpie.  After we all get our numbers we delete any post relating to this and then replace them with serious discussions about how the numbered GH1s are the TRUE limited edition units made from the Sacred Tree and any other GH1s are a mass production run made from some anonymous maple tree from NJ.  This way in the future if any of us wants to sell these we can do so for 10x retail and anyone Googling will end up back here and read the Internet Truth about why that's perfectly legit.  Sound like a plan?

L3000.gif

I have two letters for you...PM. Your plan was two letters away from perfection, but now that the cat is out of the bag, it'll never work.
rolleyes.gif

Nevertheless, I'm giving you an ''A'' for effort.
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #321 of 1,091
I got to say, the GH-1 could be my favorite Grado or at least tied with the Super Vintage RS1 (pink driver).
With every Grado since the Super Vintage RS1, I always wanted more of this, less of that and so on...but with the GH1, I have no desire for more or less of anything.
Really happy with the GH1.  

If I could change one thing, it would be about the physical design and not the sound--RS1 cup and gimbles, That would have made it perfect. 

Oct 16, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #322 of 1,091
  I got to say, the GH-1 could be my favorite Grado or at least tied with the Super Vintage RS1 (pink driver).
With every Grado since the Super Vintage RS1, I always wanted more of this, less of that and so on...but with the GH1, I have no desire for more or less of anything.
Really happy with the GH1.  

If I could change one thing, it would be about the physical design and not the sound--RS1 cup and gimbles, That would have made it perfect. 

Last night I did a little comparison between my GH-1/G, and my PS1000. I used my vintage Marantz 2226B, my Yamaha DVD-S2700, and my Grado HPA-2 headphone amp. The song that I used is the CD version of Robert Cray's, ''time Makes Two''.

This was the second time that I was comparing these two, and I came to the same conclusion.

In my opinion, they both have very similar treble, and soundstage. They also have very realistic decay, and air between the instruments. I like to say that the sound ''breathe''.

The PS1000 came out on top because of it's slightly smoother bass and mids. If I had to give a percentage value, I'd say that the GH-1/G gives you 90% of what the PS1000 gives you.

Because the GH-1/G is so much cheaper than the PS1000, I have to say that they are a great value, and certainly one of Grado's, ''no brainers''.  

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #323 of 1,091
Do you have an RS1i to do a similar comparison? I'd love to hear it. I am planning one myself.

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #325 of 1,091
Oct 27, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #326 of 1,091
Do you have an RS1i to do a similar comparison? I'd love to hear it. I am planning one myself.

Sorry, no RS1i, I have a pair of classic RS1, and one thing's for sure, if I'd compare them to my GH-1, i'd swap the L-cush back, because the GH-1 sound very different with the G-cush.

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #327 of 1,091

I've been using the GH1 since it was launched, and overall very happy with it so far over the RS1i.
I can't give detailed differences but the GH1 has a lot more woody texture and colour in the midrange, kind of like PS500 but not as metallic. RS1i sounds too lean in comparison.

I'm looking for a good cheap hardcase for my Grado's. If anyone has a suggestion then please let me know.
I heard that the official Grado hardcase is a bit tight inside and deforms the pads. (good for transport but bad for storage).

Oct 30, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #328 of 1,091

I've been using the GH1 since it was launched, and overall very happy with it so far over the RS1i.
I can't give detailed differences but the GH1 has a lot more woody texture and colour in the midrange, kind of like PS500 but not as metallic. RS1i sounds too lean in comparison.

I'm looking for a good cheap hardcase for my Grado's. If anyone has a suggestion then please let me know.
I heard that the official Grado hardcase is a bit tight inside and deforms the pads. (good for transport but bad for storage).

If you haven't already, you should try the G-cush, with your GH-1. Most people who have, ended up preferring them to the L-cush.

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #329 of 1,091
I know many use to Reverse Bowl the L-Cush but I decided to try "Reverse" Bowl the G-Cush it and it sounds great to my ears. Really works well!
Something in between the L-Cush and Flats. But since the G-Cush Reverse is deeper than the L-Cush Reverse, there is more soundstage. 

I was one of the few who didn't like it with G-Cush but now I finally found a use for my G-Cush (in reverse).

Having said that, I'm going to try the straight G-Cush one more time when my Gustard H10 arrives. 

Oct 31, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #330 of 1,091

If you haven't already, you should try the G-cush, with your GH-1. Most people who have, ended up preferring them to the L-cush.

Yea. I'm actually using the G Pad on the GH-1 right now, and it's sounding pretty good like many people have already reported.
I actually bought the G Pads many years ago for my RS-1i (thinking it will turn into GS1000...), which didn't work too well together.

I can't say which pad sounds better, because they sound totally different. Changing to G Pad isn't perfect, especially the mid is too recessed and loses a bit of substance, but the extended soundstage is amazing.
Switching back to the regular pads makes everything sound shouty and in-your-face, which is not bad and that's how people expect the Grado to sound like.

The fact that GH-1 works well with G Pads mean that it's almost like having two different headphones for the price of one. (though G Pads are pretty expensive for a piece of sponge..).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back