Grado for Portables
Feb 21, 2005 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Kruemelix

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

because my RS1 is too precious for my portables, I thought about a cheaper Grado for them - or an Alessandro? Now my question: If I would have about 100$ for my second headphone, what shall I buy? I personally like the sound of the Grados, but never heard an Alessandro, which are said to be the more neutral ones.

What of the following would you prefer?:
Grado SR60
Grado SR80
Alessandro MS1

btw, how do they sound without any portable amp? They are primary determinated to be used with a Sony MZ-NH900 Minidisc-player, which is said to have a very good headphone jack. I tought about building a Pimeta for it, but this would only be an additional item in this chain...

Thanks,

Thomas

Feb 21, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 17
I tried using my MS-1's for portable, but I soon gave it up. There were too much ambient noise where I usually go, so I had to turn up the volume quite a bit, and the music sounded thin. If you use your portable in quiet surroundings that does not bother beeing exposed to an open headphone, then Grado will be a good choice.

Common suggestions for portable phones are the Senn HD280 and HD25, Beyerdynamic DT250 and DT231, which are all closed. I find the HD280 boring, the DT250 did not perform much better than my modded DT231, so they were returned. The HD25 I've nedver tried, but it has it's fans for portable use. I've settled with my DT231's for now.

An open construcion isolating a bit better than the Grados might be sufficient for you, like the Senn HD555, AKG-240 or Beyer DT440.

Edit: All the mentioned phones should sound ok unamped, not sure about the AKG 240's though.

Knut

Feb 21, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 17
ksc-35 or 75. I'd take em over the ms1 for portable use anyday.

Feb 21, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 17
Don't you find the grado cord too thick and long for portable use?
by portable I mean by walking or public mass transport use. Not semi portable as in at your office desk or library.

Feb 21, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 17
I could never survive wearing Grados out in public like that.

For one thing, they are ugly. I'd get laughed at
tongue.gif

But more importantly, if you stretch your headband to make it more comfortable, it may be too loose for walking with. The Grado cable would be too thick, and too much external sound would leak in. They also would leak sound out, and would therefore piss off anybody sitting within the same car as you in the subway
tongue.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 17
I managed to live with the cable issue when I used my MS-1's portably for a few days. But, you do get far better solutions for portable and comfort, as the conclusion here is.

The open cans I listed in my previous post might be good choices if you still want to go open.

What kind of music do you mainly listen to?

Knut

Feb 21, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
ksc-35 or 75. I'd take em over the ms1 for portable use anyday.

If the earclips are ANYTHING like their sister phones the KSC-50s (actually I hear that they are even stiffer, to give you a better ear seal), then you'll be crying to rip the cans off your head within 45 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I was quite happy with the sound my KSC-50s produced, especially for the pittance they cost me ($17 brand new!), they were, in all honesty, very uncomfortable for more than a few minutes at a time.

My KSC-50s havn't gotten even ten minutes of playtime since I got my Alessandro MS-1s. The MS-1s trump the koss in every area, period. Plus, they are far far more comfortable. I also doubt the MS-1s are gonna jump off your head unless you're riding a motorcycle or playing football or something. They're on there pretty solid.

Btw, as far as open vs closed, I use my portable almost exclusivly at work, and while I don't work in a construction zone, I would hardly consider my workplace silent (Production lab, tons of fans and ventilation, machines whirring and buzzing and beeping, etc) I don't normally have too much of a problem with background noise creeping in, although I do keep the volume low enough to hear phone intercom pages and the like.

Feb 21, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #10 of 17
The Grados are in the class that I call "transportable", i.e., I wouldn't go jogging with them, but they are fine for walking around or listening at my desk at work. The cord is a bit long and thick, and the cord gets stiff in the cold. Definitely go for the mini plug, unless you are planning on getting an amp.

Feb 21, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #11 of 17
I like the KSC-35s, and if you want a larger phone, maybe the Senn PX100?

Feb 22, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
The Grados are in the class that I call "transportable", i.e., I wouldn't go jogging with them, but they are fine for walking around or listening at my desk at work. The cord is a bit long and thick, and the cord gets stiff in the cold. Definitely go for the mini plug, unless you are planning on getting an amp.

holy **** man. notice any evil looks from coworkers lately?
orphsmile.gif
home office?

Feb 22, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarecrow
If the earclips are ANYTHING like their sister phones the KSC-50s (actually I hear that they are even stiffer, to give you a better ear seal), then you'll be crying to rip the cans off your head within 45 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I was quite happy with the sound my KSC-50s produced, especially for the pittance they cost me ($17 brand new!), they were, in all honesty, very uncomfortable for more than a few minutes at a time.

My KSC-50s havn't gotten even ten minutes of playtime since I got my Alessandro MS-1s. The MS-1s trump the koss in every area, period. Plus, they are far far more comfortable. I also doubt the MS-1s are gonna jump off your head unless you're riding a motorcycle or playing football or something. They're on there pretty solid.

Btw, as far as open vs closed, I use my portable almost exclusivly at work, and while I don't work in a construction zone, I would hardly consider my workplace silent (Production lab, tons of fans and ventilation, machines whirring and buzzing and beeping, etc) I don't normally have too much of a problem with background noise creeping in, although I do keep the volume low enough to hear phone intercom pages and the like.

Undoubtedly the MS1 is on a higher level, for sheer portability (on-the-go) the KSCs rule. As for the comfort issues of the clip, I got used to it after a few days. (ksc-35) The 75 has an adjustable clip, which many have said makes good comfort much easier to attain. I used the ms1 portably a long while back, and the biggest issue for me was the sound leaking in and out. I had to turn the volume up just to hear anything in an outside environment, which is a really bad thing. Didn't even realize it was that high til my ears started bleeding. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few grado owners who this unknowingly as well. Tinnitus is truly a harsh mistress.

Feb 22, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
notice any evil looks from coworkers lately?
orphsmile.gif
home office?

I usually listen after everybody has left... it's a consolation for long work days. The Grado/Alessandro series does little to attenuate ambient sound, so you can hear everything. This makes them ineffective for subway or airline listening (esp. next to the engines).

My CD remote displays the volume level, so I make sure to listen below the same maximum level regardless of the environment.

Feb 22, 2005 at 12:27 PM Post #15 of 17
Hello,

thank you for your postings. concerning the music: I mainly hear Rock/Pop/sometimes Metal. After your posts, I find some other headphones very interesting, what about

KSC-75
Koss Porta Pro
Senn PX100 (but I personally dislike the Sennheiser Sond - only heard a 650)

Thanks,

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back