Grado Flat Pads
Jan 14, 2005 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Loki Woods

New Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of Grado SR80's and I have read all the recomendations of the Flat Pads. So I looked all over the web and the cheapest ones I could find were $30! So does anyone know where I could buy the flat pads for cheap? Or is there something similar to the flat pads that will increase the bass and doesn't cost as much? Please Help.
basshead.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 18
There's only one kind of Grado flat pad, and yeah, they're $30. Another option, however, is modified Sennheiser 414 pads, aka the "Vwap pads".

Instructions on how to do the modification are here.

I haven't used the SR-80s, but I've tried all the pads with my SR-255s, and I actually like the Vwap pads the best.

The flats are great, don't get me wrong, but I find they tend to bloat the bass too much with the 225s. I still put 'em on from time to time, because after all, you don't listen to Grados for accuracy, but to have fun!

Jan 14, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 18
Back in my day we couldn’t get flat pads. I paid $50 for a pair and was happy.

The Senn pads are nice and they are softer. I once glued a soft piece of leather to the face of the Senn pads and made a real nice ear pad, gave them a little more density.

I’d try the Senns to get a feel for the sound.

You can also just turn the stock pads around to get a feel for the different types of sound possible.

Mitch

Jan 14, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 18
Buy an extra pair or two. Plus, doesn't hurt to have an unmodded one for those harsh-sounding tracks.

Jan 14, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 18
I bought flatpads from ToddTheVinylJunkie's store for 30 dollars a pair. I think theyre worth it combined with my SR325s. Unlike clarke who has bloated bass with them, they work perfectly with the SR325s, everything sounds quite nice.

Jan 14, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #7 of 18
Just get them. I think part of the fun of grados is the fact that the pads come off so easily. You will eventually get curious and that curiostiy will lead to a purchase anyways.

Jan 14, 2005 at 8:44 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loki Woods
I just bought a pair of Grado SR80's and I have read all the recomendations of the Flat Pads. So I looked all over the web and the cheapest ones I could find were $30! So does anyone know where I could buy the flat pads for cheap? Or is there something similar to the flat pads that will increase the bass and doesn't cost as much? Please Help.
basshead.gif

It's a preference thing...personally, I prefer the bowls with my SR-225s for most types of music...

Jan 14, 2005 at 9:10 AM Post #9 of 18
Ahh so many options..I'm so conflicted about what to do. Why would Grado do this to me? Why charge 30 bucks for a couple pieces of foam? They seemed like such a nice family owned business.

Jan 14, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #10 of 18
Grado may be responsible for their high cost, but only undirectly. Grado doesn't make flats anymore -- they make bowls and the "comfies" only. Because a lot of people still prefer the flats, Todd (of Vinyl Junkie fame) had some flats made. I think the high cost is directly a result of the high cost for producing them.

Jan 14, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #11 of 18
These pads are not made by or for Grado Labs. It’s with John Grados permission they are made- Thanks John!!

The pads didn’t exist commercially 15 months ago. 1 person (Todd) has reasonably small quantities made special order. I believe the first batch was 800 pads (pairs? got me). If someone wanted to finance 10,000 they would cost less but it would be a 10-year supply.

The pads are made of 2 different foam densities. They appear to be well made and dare I say rugged. I’ve used the same pair since they were re-released (15 months ago) and they look like new. If you gently wash them in something like shampoo it’s supposed to improve them with time. I wash mine once a month.

So they are a good value for the money. I don’t know what the SR80’s cost but can understand the $30 pad is probably a considerable amount compared to the headphone. But with care and if not abused they should yield years of enjoyment.

Mitch

Jan 14, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #12 of 18
Thanks a lot for the info braillediver! Now i understand where all the money wentfor them. Good on Todd for doing that though!

(Quick OT question: What is the diff between bowls and comfies?)

Rob.

Jan 14, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #14 of 18
Do the flats sound significantly different when broken in? I gave mine 3hrs of usage so far, although my headphones have seen ~200 hrs of normal use ontop of 100hrs burn in. If the change is as significant as the change in sound of my headphone over the same period then I definately need to give them more time before judging them fully.

Jan 14, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
So they are a good value for the money. I don’t know what the SR80’s cost but can understand the $30 pad is probably a considerable amount compared to the headphone. But with care and if not abused they should yield years of enjoyment.

Also, considering how much of an impact they make on the sound, they're really one of the cheaper mods. It costs around $200 to re-cable a pair of Sennheisers, and people debate over whether or not it changes the sound at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back