Grado Flat Pads - Unbelievable Difference
Jan 14, 2006 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

sum

100+ Head-Fier
So in my effort to tame my RS2s, I bought the flat pads from Todd. I honestly can't believe how big a difference these make. There is suddenly more bass, the highs are more recessed, and the overall character is so much darker. They sound unbelievably like my HD650/Zu combo. Of course they maintain the Grado perfection of guitar reproduction. Now I only wish they had the level of detail the HD650s offer. I highly recommend purchasing the pads to any owner of a pair of Grados. If nothing else it's like owning a whole other set of headphones for a very small investment.

Jan 14, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 53
Wow, I'm so glad you posted that. I just got my RS-1's today, and ordered the flats from Todd a few hours ago.

I'm particulary interesting in calming down the highs a bit. They're beautifully bright, but sometimes too bright. It's like when you're playing with your dog and having a great time, but then he just starts getting too crazy - "Down boy!!!"

Check out this thread:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153515

Jan 14, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 53
Totally. I swear by the Flats. The minor comfort loss (compared to the bowls) is totally worth it for the incredible sound transformation. My HF-1's with Flats are perfection...though I still see myself buying more cans!

We should start a "Team Flats"...if there isn't one already! TTVJ and his TTF (team Todd Flats).

Jan 14, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Totally. I swear by the Flats. The minor comfort loss (compared to the bowls) is totally worth it for the incredible sound transformation. My HF-1's with Flats are perfection...though I still see myself buying more cans!

We should start a "Team Flats"...if there isn't one already! TTVJ and his TTF (team Todd Flats).

How exactly do the Flats tame the highs?
Increasing bass response I can understand-by bringing the driver closer to the ear (the bass on the HF-1 with the bowls is killer already).

Also, you guys dont notice a loss in soundstage with the flats?

Jan 14, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #5 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Increasing bass response I can understand-by bringing the driver closer to the ear (the bass on the HF-1 with the bowls is killer already).

My guess on how they tame flats is that there is a smaller reverberation chamber due to the drivers being closer. In terms of sound stage, I think it shrinks, but it's a more intimate experience. Claptop unplugged is just incredible with the flats.

Jan 14, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel

Ya something to do with the shorter distance. Trying pushing your HF-1's/Grado's closer to your ears (without coving the back, obviously), and you will get an idea of the sound. You can hear the highs get stronger by pulling your cans away from your head, and weaker by pushing them closer.

Soundstage loss, ya maybe...but they sound better.

Jan 14, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 53
This is one the major reasons I love Grado. They sound like new cans when you swith out the pads. So far, I prefer flats on HP-2's and bowls on everything else but I still switch them around every once in a while depending upon my mood and the music I am listening to at the time.

Jan 14, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #8 of 53
I agree 100%. Both the RS-1 and RS-2 originally shipped with, and were presumably designed for use with, the flat pads. I found the RS-1 hard to listen to for more than 15 to 30 minutes with the bowl pads because of the somewhat thin sound and the harsh peaky upper midrange. With the flats the frequency balance is much better, and I can listen all day.

Jan 14, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #9 of 53
I like the bowls turned inside out. It's the best of both worlds.

Jan 14, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 53
After reading all the threads about piercing highs and raw, bleeding ears, I made sure to order the TTVJ flats with my HF-1s. I think I listened through them maybe three times. Just didn't like the sound. I read in one thread where the poster described the flats as like listening to someones boomy car stereo, all bass and flab. I loved, now sold, the sound and comfort, yes I said comfort of the original, factory fresh, Grado Bowls.

Jan 14, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by coco
After reading all the threads about piercing highs and raw, bleeding ears, I made sure to order the TTVJ flats with my HF-1s. I think I listened through them maybe three times. Just didn't like the sound. I read in one thread where the poster described the flats as like listening to someones boomy car stereo, all bass and flab. I loved, now sold, the sound and comfort, yes I said comfort of the original, factory fresh, Grado Bowls.

I too prefer the bowls with the HF-1. It seems to have been designed for the bowls.

I also prefer bowls with the PS-1.

For all other Grados (that I have heard) the flats win hands down.

Jan 14, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #13 of 53
yeah, supraaurally i liked reverse bowls with my HP2s the most, but they hurt like mad so forget it! long live Cpads!

Jan 14, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by coco

The RS-1 sounded too thick or muddied at first. Adding flats to this just added to the muffled sound. After 200+ hours, the sound thinned out quite nice. They were begging for the flats after that.

My SR-60 and MS-2i needed the flats right from the start. Did you give the HF-1 enough play time before discounting the flats?

Jan 14, 2006 at 7:25 AM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
The RS-1 sounded too thick or muddied at first. Adding flats to this just added to the muffled sound. After 200+ hours, the sound thinned out quite nice. They were begging for the flats after that.

My SR-60 and MS-2i needed the flats right from the start. Did you give the HF-1 enough play time before discounting the flats?

Wow. Mine were too harsh and bright at first, even with flat pads!
I found flats to be a MUST with the rs1. On all other grados I find either flats or vwaps to be best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back