Grado Enthusiasts - MS Pro, GS1000, or RS-1?
Nov 4, 2007 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

BushGuy

Headphoneus Supremus
Searching around here reveals great diversity among Grado models in this area. Particularly, after more than a year on the market, there continues to be significant love/hate regarding GS1000 - even amongst professionals in the industry. Some say they can provide a sound quality that provides a recreation of reality, and others that portray them as a failure. Also, MS Pro's continue to linger in the background - some peeps say they suck-out the Grado "fun", and others portray them as more sophisticated than RS-1.
My sole venture into "Grado-ism" has been a pair of RS-2. John's treble peaks irritated me at times - but, on the otherhand, even these 'phones did bring toe-tapping to some intrumental jazz recordings - the preferred setup of RS-1 being balanced. So, dear Grado officianados - wherein lies the truth?

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 37
The John treble spike exist on all those models, and have heard it in all Grados that I have heard, but Alessandros are more tolerable being less forward and aggressive. (though my Alessandro experience is limited to MS1)

Perhaps you should try to look for Joseph models?

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 37
re Joe 'phones - I still have an aversion to going +1K for 'phones. My bad. Maybe one day I'll be able to improve upon my attitude
smily_headphones1.gif
We all have our limitations. Perhaps if John wanted to venture further, he'd introduce a model that would emulate HP-2 in an intriguing woody manner - a kind of ying to GS1000 yang.

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 37
Since you mentioned GS1000 in your post, I throwed the Joseph suggestion in the mix since they are in same price range, nowadays atleast.
frown.gif

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you mentioned GS1000 in your post, I throwed the Joseph suggestion in the mix since they are in same price range, nowadays atleast.
frown.gif

Yes, except GS1000 could be found used for as low as $650 (and possibly lower), while you'd be hard pressed to find HP1/2/3 for less than $1000.

Nov 4, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, except GS1000 could be found used for as low as $650 (and possibly lower), while you'd be hard pressed to find HP1/2/3 for less than $1000.

Wow, didnt know that GS1000 has that bad resale value.
blink.gif

Nov 4, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, didnt know that GS1000 has that bad resale value.
blink.gif

Well, I wouldn't call it bad. IME, most audio gears have resale value of 70% or so of the original price, depending on condition/use/age/availability, of course.

I actually almost bought a used pair locally to try them out since they were being advertised for $600 on craigslist.

Nov 4, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 37
I remembered that they were closer to 1000$, atleast they were at some point. Oh well, it wouldnt be anything new if my memory fails.

Nov 4, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #10 of 37
Here are my personal opinions of all three pairs of headphones listed, described as objectively as possible despite my bias towards RS-1's.

MS-Pros: On a most basic level, these are simply more neutral versions of RS-1's. They curb the treble down considerably, and they lose most of the midbass / midrange warmth that RS-1's are famous for; which can be a good or bad thing depending on your listening preferences.

GS-1000's: The midrange here is noticeably hollow, and voices sound distant and misplaced; the treble is extremely peaky, and thus these phones do not warrant volume changes above a modest 8 o'clock on my EAR+ HD; and the bass is flabby and boomy, and manages to drown the other frequencies in its quantity.

RS-1's: My favorite out of the bunch, which is why I own them. The RS-1's are rather treble centric, yes, but never once have I had to take a break from listening due to excessive peakiness in the upper frequencies; and the midrange presents a tactile warmth which gives weight to guitars / vocals and contrasts nicely with the previously mentioned treble accentuation. Bass is also tight and controlled (when using bowls), and is thus able to blend well with the midrange and treble ranges.

So, basically, I recommend that you go with RS-1's; based on my own listening impressions, anyway.

Nov 4, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are my personal opinions of all three pairs of headphones listed, described as objectively as possible despite my bias towards RS-1's.

MS-Pros: On a most basic level, these are simply more neutral versions of RS-1's. They curb the treble down considerably, and they lose most of the midbass / midrange warmth that RS-1's are famous for; which can be a good or bad thing depending on your listening preferences.

GS-1000's: The midrange here is noticeably hollow, and voices sound distant and misplaced; the treble is extremely peaky, and thus these phones do not warrant volume changes above a modest 8 o'clock on my EAR+ HD; and the bass is flabby and boomy, and manages to drown the other frequencies in its quantity.

RS-1's: My favorite out of the bunch, which is why I own them. The RS-1's are rather treble centric, yes, but never once have I had to take a break from listening due to excessive peakiness in the upper frequencies; and the midrange presents a tactile warmth which gives weight to guitars / vocals and contrasts nicely with the previously mentioned treble accentuation. Bass is also tight and controlled (when using bowls), and is thus able to blend well with the midrange and treble ranges.

So, basically, I recommend that you go with RS-1's; based on my own listening impressions, anyway.

I guess that pretty much sums everything up quite nicely. Especially your description of how the GS-1000's sound. IMO, if you want me to be critical, I would say the GS-1000's are wayyyy over priced and sound nothing but mediocre at best regardless of what amp or source was driving them. Well, that is from my point of view cause afterall, everyone has his ior her views as to how a headphone sounds to his/her liking... Anyway, the GS-1000's had bass that was a tad too heavy and they sounded uncontrolled and boomy.

I won't like the retort i get from others saying maybe you need a better amp or stuff like that. Hey, the headphones should in the first place retain thier sound signature and an amp is supposed to improve your listening experience and not fill in the missing gaps and change the sound signature. I mean, if it sounds muddy in the bass department, any form of amping would at best minimise it. It cannot and i beleive would be hard for it to change that specific signature.

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #13 of 37
Since you didn't mention what genres of music you listen to, I'll have to generalise:

Low-medium volume listening for everything with a soundstage: GS1000.
Medium-high volume listening for stuff without soundstage/intimate soundstage: RS-1.

PS, the GS has excellent bass definition with the right gear. It's true about the treble peak though. However, that's what makes it sound so good at low volume (that, and the accentuated, deep bass).

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #14 of 37
This is pretty much exactly how I feel about these phones as well. Couldn't put it better myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #15 of 37
The rs-1's will only show a treble peak when there is one on a recording . That has been my experience with mine. It also bothers me a little so that is why I also own a pair of senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back