Grado dilemma: I just can't decide
Apr 26, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #16 of 25
If you're patient, you should be able to find a used RS-1 around $500. That's what I did and I don't regret buying them at all. Great pair of headphones.
rs1smile.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #17 of 25
If the money an issue, and I see that they are, than just be patient to get the funds together and then you can look for a good deal.
I would say RS2 can give you almost everything, where Alessandro's are to neutral and not the real Grado's as well, IMO.
cool.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #18 of 25
i don't think i could ever EVER buy the rs2's...simply for the fact that they come with those cheapo plastic driver holder thingies, unlike the metal rs1's. What grado?!?! plastic and wood? NO.
but the 325i/ms2i metal/plastic combo is fine by me.

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #19 of 25
I thought it was all about the sound, in the first place, isn't
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanhayn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't think i could ever EVER buy the rs2's...simply for the fact that they come with those cheapo plastic driver holder thingies, unlike the metal rs1's. What grado?!?! plastic and wood? NO.
but the 325i/ms2i metal/plastic combo is fine by me.

Apr 26, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #20 of 25
yeah, it's about the sound, but within a budget/limit. i'm limiting myself right now. i'm forcing myself to believe that the 325i is as good as it gets. i will not buy a newer or "better" headphone for years...at least that's what i'm hoping will happen.

Apr 26, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #22 of 25
I recommend the rs-2's. I love mine. If you keep your eyes open you can get a used pair for under 400 (I got a killer deal on ebay and managed to snag a pair for 250). they are definitely worth it....simply awesome cans!

Apr 26, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

yeah, it's about the sound, but within a budget/limit. i'm limiting myself right now. i'm forcing myself to believe that the 325i is as good as it gets. i will not buy a newer or "better" headphone for years...at least that's what i'm hoping will happen.

Yeah, that's what I said about my SR-80s back in the day. Since then, I own (or have owned) just about every model of John Grado phones in existence (and even had a pair of HP-2s at one point).

Now I am up to the PS-1 / RS-1 combo, so there really is no further up the Grado ladder that I can go.

So I appreciate your approach, but the only way to be certain that it will work is to stop visiting Head-Fi, and live happily ever after with your 325s.

biggrin.gif

Then again, you may just have a stronger will and more self control then most of us do here at Head-Fi.

Apr 26, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Yeah; I'm pretty well in the same situation.

....my wallet has pretty well put ME on probation.
tongue.gif

Fortunately we in the Alessandro camp have nearly a "fail-safe" situation since, unlike Grado; all the MS cans have a similar sonic signature. It appears that the move up in SQ has to be accompanied with a similar step-up in system performance to gain the upmost advantage of the superior MS-Pro. So I can pretty well enjoy my MS2i knowing the upgraditus bug has to chew all the way through my wallet to get to me!!

And yeah; the metal bits would be nice, but the plastic ring snuggles in behind the aluminum "mushroom" well enough that it can hardly be seen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back