grado comfort
Jun 3, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
The comfort of the MS2i is something that I also have some concerns of, but mostly because of the extra weight over the MS-1s.

....some folks say they're too heavy, others say they're not. Gotta do a five year search and tabulate the results!

I hope nobody misunderstood what I meant. For me personally, I don't think Grados (or MS2 in this regard) are uncomfortable. I don't experience this pain that a few users experience.
But what I meant was, there were many headphones that were more comfortable than Grados.

About the weight concern of MS2, I don't find it any heavier than my other headphones. Nah, they're not heavy at all - don't worry about it.

Jun 3, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #17 of 27
After reading a lot of posts here, I was expecting at least some discomfort from Grados.

However, I think they're plenty comfy. Even with the bowls. The trick I found with the bowls was to wash them a few times with soap and water. I just put them in the bathroom sink, lathered up with bar soap, washed, rinsed, and let dry.

The bowls are plenty soft now and I can comfortably wear them for hours. Give them a try.

Jun 3, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #19 of 27
I borrowed Hembergler's SR-80s when I first joined, and they were the most uncomfrotable thing I have evver done to my ears. (no IEMs for me.)

Then I got my MS-1s, and now I sometimes forget that I'm wearing them.

Jun 3, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #20 of 27
Though my MS-1 is bent to the optimal shape for comfort and long-term wearability they are still not 'forgettable' as I wear them. They are just not a comfort can to me, but then neither were any Senn phone I ever owned. The one and only phone I have ever owned that I can truly class as 'not there' when wearing them is the Stax 001/003/005. I do not notice them at all once in place. They vanish in a way no other has for me.

All other phones physically do something to let you know they are there, whether it's weight, sliding around, cable tug, top or side pressure, hot ears, irritation or whatever. Phones and IEMs, as much as I like them, can be a real pain to wear for extended periods. Obviously some notice it more than others and to me Grados are no exception. I find them ok for limited sessions but no more than an hour or so. One reason I could never justify spending hundreds of dollars on a top model when I could only wear them for an hour at a time. I don't think Grados are necessarily any worse than many other phones though they do feel strange when you first put them on.

Jun 3, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikrit42
I borrowed Hembergler's SR-80s when I first joined, and they were the most uncomfrotable thing I have evver done to my ears. (no IEMs for me.)

Then I got my MS-1s, and now I sometimes forget that I'm wearing them.

was it the bowls? or wat?

Jun 4, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #22 of 27
It definitely had to be the bowls, since that's the only structural difference between them (well, there's also the little label button on the SR-80, but I doubt that is a factor :p )

edit: ...did you actually mail $300 for the MS-2, or were you just asking if it was a good idea? Oh well, if you actually did it, and it doesn't get stolen, you will be ending up with the dreaded bowl pads
tongue.gif
. They're really not so bad after they soften up a bit though. Earlier in the thread, people have discussed washing - it works.

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #23 of 27
srry to bring up this thread again

do the alessandro ms2 ship with a 3.5mm adaptor so i can use it out of my ipod's headphone jack, but more importantly, my pa2v2?

Jun 6, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #24 of 27
I personally find grados very comfortable. The non-woodies are extremely light, and when you bend the headband upwards (to make it wider), it doesn't feel like I'm wearing headphones.

This, however, differs for some people. Head shapes and sizes are rarely the same.

Jun 6, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
My one desire at this moment is to upgrade from my MS-1s to MS2i, call them my "be all to end all, run the hell away from head-fi and all other equipment" can. And just enjoy my tunes.

That's my goal!!

And then your one desire will be to upgrade from MS-2 to MS-PRO

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
For the last (end all) headphones, I wouldn't choose MS2. For that I'd choose something ultra comfortable, and very versatile kind of headphones.
MS2 might not be very comfortable for continuous, or constant use and re-use (eg. you use them for a few times a day).

That's because Grados headbands need to be readjusted everytime you wanna listen to them, and I don't think they are comfortable enough for constant use.

Soundwise, maybe it's a bit too fixated to music purpose only. Doesn't mean that its awful for movies, but movies you need wider soundstage (and comfort).

I recommend other more comfy and versatile headphones.

MS2 serve okay as your one and only can. It was my only headphone for several years and I only just recently bought some hd580s because, at the time of buying the MS-2 I was having to choose between the 2 and have been a bit sad ever since at having to make the decision. My impressions so far is that the MS-2 are just as suited as the 580 for an everyday phone. Even more so, in fact, due to their ability to be used portably

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325
srry to bring up this thread again

do the alessandro ms2 ship with a 3.5mm adaptor so i can use it out of my ipod's headphone jack, but more importantly, my pa2v2?

No they do not come with the adapter.

Jun 6, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #27 of 27
so they terminate with 6.5mm? arg
i emailed the hounddogcorp to see if i can get em with the 3.5mm...we'll see how it turns out

and about the woodies, i made a rule to myself not to buy headphones that are made of wood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back