Grado cartridges ... should I?
Feb 5, 2008 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Number9

100+ Head-Fier
So my interest is in Grado cartridges at the moment ... seems there are many fans out there, especially for their great midrange (which to me is what I like most about vinyl).

I'm currently using a Goldring 1042 in a nice medium-mass 10" arm with double-knife edge bearing (no damping).

But before laying down some hard cash for a Grado, I've got some concerns. I see threads where people say they are prone to hum, mis-tracking and higher groove noise than other cartridges. Also, they seem to work better in low-mass arms because of their high compliance.

Advice? Experiences?
Thanks
cool.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Number9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my interest is in Grado cartridges at the moment ... seems there are many fans out there, especially for their great midrange (which to me is what I like most about vinyl).

I'm currently using a Goldring 1042 in a nice medium-mass 10" arm with double-knife edge bearing (no damping).

But before laying down some hard cash for a Grado, I've got some concerns. I see threads where people say they are prone to hum, mis-tracking and higher groove noise than other cartridges. Also, they seem to work better in low-mass arms because of their high compliance.

Advice? Experiences?
Thanks
cool.gif

I only have experience with the Black and I figure you are probably considering something higher than that but I will give my experience anyhow.

The hum was there on my old deck but it wasn't audible while music was playing and I had to turn my volume up above normal listening level (with speakers) to hear it even during silence.

By convention they should work best on low-mass arms, like you mentioned.

I found that the Black tracked pretty well, but I never measured it. Tracking ability was never an issue for me. The noise was also never a problem. It was as good or better than my new Ortofon Super OM10 on my Debut III.

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Number9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Advice? Experiences?
Thanks
cool.gif

Move on up the Grado MM line, and you'll be surprised with the quality. One can find Golds and Silvers on Audiogon for good prices, once in a while. They are a little prone to mistracking, as I've noticed with my old Gold, and the Green I have on a second system. But mistracking can be made up for, with some careful tonearm adjustments.

I think you'll like the sound if you make the plunge.

NK

Mar 1, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #4 of 6
Give the Grado cartridges a try. I started with a Gold on a stock Rega Planar 3 and RB300. Excellent results and setup only took about 20 minutes. I used it for a full year and had no problems with tracking, alignment, hum, or anything else. It had a warm, rich tone that I loved.

When I moved up to the current deck, I passed the Planar 3 along to a good friend and gave him the Gold. I bought a Platinum to replace it, and am running it on the same RB300, but I installed the Michell Technoweight and had it rewired with Cardas so the arm would have a traditional ground.

The Platinum was more persnickety with setup, eventually taking several hours of futzing to get right. I did get a little hum at first, but moving the ground lead around solved that. Otherwise, I've been very happy with the Platinum.

Give Grado a shot - they are wonderful cartridges.

Mar 13, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 6
I am currently looking at the line of Grado cartridges as well and was wondering if anyone had input on the Grado Reference Master. I have heard they have a wonderful midrange, but how do they handle bass/highs? I know Grado are well known for being the headphone for rock, but I am interested to see if that methodology spills over to their cartridges.

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #6 of 6
I have never owned one myself, but hear good things about them.
Just yesterday I was at the local Hifi shop where there was a Grado Cartridge without a needle, it was taken of with a cloth by the maid...
The Grado costed Euro 400,- to buy, and 320,- to replace the needle!!!!!
The owner who is in fact a Linn adept (?!) was shocked I suppose...
The fact is he was very pleased with the Grado for SQ, but replacing a needle shouldn't cost 320,- (80%!!!)
Then it's better to have a Van Den Hul cartridge.
Aalt Jouk Van Den Hul gives excelent service from what I hear.
I own a Clearaudio myself!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back