Grado Cartridge with Grado Headphones
Jun 3, 2009 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nkd

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have any experience with using Grado Headphones with a Grado Cartridge? My old budget cartridge is getting a bit worn out and I feel like upgrading rather than replacing the stylus... because that's what I do!

I was thinking of getting the Platinum Reference cartridge, but I'm worried that it will have the same sound signature as the headphones so they will sound far too bright together.

Anyone who has used a grado cartridge with grado heaphones, please help!
smily_headphones1.gif

(Headphones are HF-1)

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 5
i used to use a Grado Reference from their Statement series in conjunction with Grado PS-1...

didn't seem bright to me
tongue.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 5
I JUST bought a Grado green cart. Finished installing it about 30 minutes ago. Listened to some of Dark Side of the Moon, and now Please Please Me. I've yet to come across any issues with this very short listening period. I'm actually very happy.

Also I am using the 325i's, which many consider the brightest of the Grados.

I'll post again after getting some more listening time.

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 5
Yes. Yes, that is a good combination.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a Platinum as my backup cartridge (to a Denon DL103) but I ran the platinum for awhile. I don't use the HF-1 terribly often, but I have run it a few times with the Platinum. The Platinum got a lot more time with the RS-1, though, and they always sounded great together.

Honestly, however, I like the balance of the DL103 fed to Cinemag stepup transformers a little better. That's one of the best vinyl combos I've come across. I think the DL103 can be had for about $120 and I don't know what the Cinemags cost - they came with the table. But I think you could piece a pair together with a DL103 for not much more than the Platinum.

If your heart is set on a Grado cart, you can't go wrong. However, I think the DL103/Cinemag combo is one of the best out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back