Grado cable hardened and is stiff above the Y split
Feb 11, 2010 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kite7

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought a pair of used Grado RS-1 last week and noticed the cable is very stiff above the Y split. On both left and right sides, the cable has hardened and does not flex much at all. I have had the SR225 and I have not experienced the cable hardening but then again I have only owned the SR225 for a year and this RS1 is supposed to be about 7 years old. Does anyone have a similar problem? I don't suppose it's possible to reverse it back to its original condition is it?

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 19
Where did they come from? In the desert where the air is super dry it's possible. Where I grew up near Las Vegas, almost everyone's dashboards and seats were dry and cracked, not to mention everything else made of plastic, rubber or vinyl.

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 19
If it doesn't flex much, does that mean that it's harder for it to get twisted? Might be a blessing in disguise.

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 19
The only stiffened cable I ever had was from sweat on my PK earbuds. My Grados cables never stiffened. Given how thick they are, it seems odd.

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 19
From what I know, the headphone has been in Canada most of its life. It's still easy for twists to occur at the Y joint. On my SR225, I could pinch the cable going to the left and right side above the Y joint and feel two wires inside. On this RS1, I cannot even pinch the cable and feel the wires inside, it's very solid and not soft.

I know from personal experience the PK J cable that goes around the neck is easily exposed to the skin and oils harden the cable but I don't see how that can happen to headphones cables.

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #8 of 19
I have a feeling that this is pure anomaly and a result of an improper mix of the cable polymer wherever it was made. There seems to be no other plausible explanation. It is only stiff in the area described, correct?

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange indeed. My guess is they were stored in extreme temp, probably cold.

Indeed, because us Canadians don't have heating in our igloos yet!

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a feeling that this is pure anomaly and a result of an improper mix of the cable polymer wherever it was made. There seems to be no other plausible explanation. It is only stiff in the area described, correct?

It's only stiff above the Y joint, below it the cable is very flexible. I tried heating the cable up with my hairdryer, it was more flexible and softened a bit but afterwards when things cooled off it's the same. When I heated the cable, it still isn't as nearly flexible and soft as my SR225 cable. I will probably recable these later but I just wish there was some way to soften it up the way it was during its early days.

Quote:

It's true, I'm typing this from my igloo while my RS1 is keeping my ears warm
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 19
Wow, that is weird. Of all the things I've seen go wrong with Grados, the cable is just never a problem for some reason. I'm thinking try coating it with some kind of oil, like maybe furniture polish or something. The problem is that you might put the wrong kind on there and then boom, your sheathing is dissolved and "melts". Be careful, but definitely wipe it down and then apply some kind of oil to the outside because that'll at least help stave off further damage. If it were me, I'd probably use my clarinet "bore treatment" stuff...something along those lines.

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, I used to live in Alaska so I know what it's like living among the polar bears and all.
wink_face.gif

Seriously, I was thinking of a cold attic or garage or something. Extreme temp can wreak havoc on oil based products. In Alaska, people have to plug in their cars in order to heat the oil so it don't freeze. The parking lot where I worked was equipped with outlets and at home I ran an extension cord.

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #13 of 19
if its only part of the cable, its probably a manufacturing defect in that piece of rubber. I dont think there's much you can do.

Feb 12, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #14 of 19
The pair of RS1s in quesiton (Classic B serial #1059) I bought from a gentleman in Edmonton in January '06. I seem to recall this serial number indicaitng they were built around '01. I bought a RA1 as part of the same transaction, and it continues to function flawlessly.

I bought a pair of SR325s new in mid 2002, and still have them (now MAGNUM'd, hence selling the RS1s).

Comparing the SR325s and RS1s, which I did plenty of, I can't say I ever noticed anything particularly strange about cable on the the RS1s... I'm wearing the SR325s right now and would say things do feel a bit stiffer above the Y joint than below. Perhaps it's something about the cable they were using in manufacturing around this time frame?

I seem to recall reading when I was in the process of buying the SR325s that the SR325s and above used different cable from the SR225s and below...

Certainly during the time I owned the RS1s, they were in constant use and never stored anywhere I wouldn't store myself! They did travel with me fairly often but always as carry on... if they were ever exposed to low temperatures, it would have been very briefly, and inside a thickly padded laptop bag.

I'd hate to think of anyone having problems with gear I've sold them so soon after a transaction... if you aren't happy, kite7, please do get in touch with me! Perhaps you'd be curious to compare the cable on your RS1s to that on my SR325s? Heck, even if you'd like me to buy them back, I'd prefer that to knowing someone is out there dissatisfied with the condition of something they've bought from me.

Cheers,
--jeff

Feb 12, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by feckn_eejit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd hate to think of anyone having problems with gear I've sold them so soon after a transaction... if you aren't happy, kite7, please do get in touch with me! Perhaps you'd be curious to compare the cable on your RS1s to that on my SR325s? Heck, even if you'd like me to buy them back, I'd prefer that to knowing someone is out there dissatisfied with the condition of something they've bought from me.

Thanks for your concern ,however I've grown to like the RS1 too much to let them go
biggrin.gif
. It's not a huge deal, it's just something I noted that was different from the SR225 cable. It's not causing any problems for me in any way but I wanted input from everyone else, that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back