Grado C-Pads
Apr 7, 2007 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

makasin

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys! I just wanted to know people's opinions on the headphile C-Pads. For an RS2, do these pads improve or change anything other than comfort?
What could I expect from such a purchase? Also, is there any point in recabling an RS2? Dont they already come with pretty good cables?

Apr 7, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #2 of 16
I don't quite like the C-pads on my MS-2. While bass and treble response become most balanced relative to what they will be with other types of pads, there is also a suck-out in the mids that lends an artificiality to the sound. Fit can also be a challenge to achieve, even worse if your driver chambers slide/rotate very easily (thus necessitating the use of rod locks like those advertised by Headphile). Comfort is good, but frankly not that much better than the Flats I personally favour.

I notice you have been asking a lot of Grado-related questions here. I think it's better for you to concentrate on which headphones you want to get before you start worrying about tweaks like these. Having heard the MS-2, I believe you can't go wrong with it, nor with the RS-2 (seeing there are hardly any complaints on it). The wooden chambers are just as timeless as the MS-2(i)'s aluminium chambers. Either way, you can only win.

Cheers!

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys! I just wanted to know people's opinions on the headphile C-Pads. For an RS2, do these pads improve or change anything other than comfort?
What could I expect from such a purchase? Also, is there any point in recabling an RS2? Dont they already come with pretty good cables?

Hi! another Alessandro fan here!

As far as the cable; we don't hear of too many people wanting to do cable swaps on Grados or Alessandros. Maybe it has something to do with the difficulty; especially on the wooden models which can be a problem to disassemble, or maybe it has to do with the cable using the same copper material as the drivers, what ever the cause; it doesn't seem to be a priority. I will have to add that the stock cable is a tough little unit though! My grandkids got the cable of my MS-1s tangled in their computer chair and managed to give it a spin and tore out chunks if insulation between the "Y" block and the housings! But yet there was no damage internally to either the cable or any of the solder joints in the housings. Good tough construction there!

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi! another Alessandro fan here!

As far as the cable; we don't hear of too many people wanting to do cable swaps on Grados or Alessandros. Maybe it has something to do with the difficulty; especially on the wooden models which can be a problem to disassemble, or maybe it has to do with the cable using the same copper material as the drivers, what ever the cause; it doesn't seem to be a priority. I will have to add that the stock cable is a tough little unit though! My grandkids got the cable of my MS-1s tangled in their computer chair and managed to give it a spin and tore out chunks if insulation between the "Y" block and the housings! But yet there was no damage internally to either the cable or any of the solder joints in the housings. Good tough construction there!

Aren't you mistaking the R for M there?
tongue.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't you mistaking the R for M there?
tongue.gif

No no; no mistake there! No no; not at all!
rolleyes.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 16
I know I'm in the minority here, but the Grado Comfort pad are my faves... I like the way they smooth out the sound, and Oh, they are comfortable.

Apr 7, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #7 of 16
Yup; that's the nice thing about having so many choices. Everybody's happy!

......can't say that about every can company!!
cool.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #9 of 16
No matter what, the C-Pads will sound muddier than the bowls, very noticeable. Fortunately that tends to compliment a fair majority of the music I listen to.

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No matter what, the C-Pads will sound muddier than the bowls, very noticeable. Fortunately that tends to compliment a fair majority of the music I listen to.

agree!!!! I don't know what have improved by the C-pad except comfort!

ps1c.jpg

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #12 of 16
Not a minority, i loved them on my sr60 too,now i just Prefer flat pad because they give much bass and punch even with sr60

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkoulban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know I'm in the minority here, but the Grado Comfort pad are my faves... I like the way they smooth out the sound, and Oh, they are comfortable.

Apr 7, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #14 of 16
I wouldn't use my 225s much at all if it weren't for C-Pads (zeta flat ports).

Ant

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #15 of 16
I keep mine around simply because I'm too lazy to resell them. They're sort of comfortable - nice padding, but heavy - I like the weightless feel of Bowls more. And the sound.....putting these things on my RS-1 is a crime. I'd rather have comfies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back