Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone?
Dec 25, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #436 of 771
There was a LD1+ under the tree this morning. Bushmills plugged in for one last go'round...now I'm sorry I sold them...a proper amp improves these things by quiet a noticeable amount....dang. No worries though....RS1's should be here tomorrow.

Dec 25, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #437 of 771

At a time when I was looking for headphones with a more intimate presentation than my GS/PS/HP1000 have. I thought I'd give the PS500 and RS1i a shot.
What I didn't like about the PS500 was that the mids were a bit heavy, and since I listen to a lot of female vocals, I couldn't get over that slightly chesty carachter that womens's voices had through them.

The RS1i on the other hand, have, I think, one of the most accurate, fleshed out mids of ANY headphones that I've heard. The reason I took them back is something I call the spotlight effect. It was as if each performer had a spotlight illuminating his performance. The result was that I wasn't getting a sence of space between the musicians. Some might call this, a lack of air. Keep in mind though that at the time my references were the GS/PS, and HP1000, wich all have a bigger and airyer soundstage.

So up until recently, I was using my HP1000 when I wanted a more intimate sound. But now, with the Bushmills, I have even more midrange proximity. I think that the Bushmills's sound would be hard to criticize at pretty much any price, so at $400, you'll never hear a peep out of me.

I'm coming from using my 80's/325's as a reference, so when I got the RS's they had a slightly larger soundstage to me. I can see how your GS/PS would have a much bigger soundstage/better separation from the (G) just the cushions alone, I know this from trying the (G's) on the 325's, they made the soundstage much, much larger, but to me had taken away the intimacy. I listened to the Bushmills with the (L's) and the WA6 last night for about two hours, and I must say I'm very impressed with the way they sound. I found that I could listen to them without being critical and just enjoying the music, and the vocals I thought where excellent, and like you said there is a nice balance between the frequencies. I find them a bit less detailed than the other Grados I own and didn't find the bass to be as precise, but then again I just got them, I'm sure  they will tighten up as they burn-in, but anyway they are a pleasure to listen to by all means, and I'm very glad to own them, they are a different sounding Grado, to me laid back and smooth.

What do you mean?, this IS the good stuff, they'll have to bury me with my vitnage Marantz gear
biggrin.gif

Yes it is, I was about 14 years old when they came out, and I thought thatit was just THE coolest looking boombox, but at about $400 +, they were pretty expensive, so my parents couldn't afford to buy me one. Fast forward 33 years and,  voila!

I'm curious though, how did know this?

We must be around the same age, I remember when they came out and I also thought this thing was awesome, and I used to go to the electronics store in the mall whenever I got the chance and just check it out and listen to it. It was on display, along with the other three JVC models, I believe this was priced in the middle, anyway I worked at the time and Crazy Eddie was a big electronics store back then in N.Y. and they had it on sale, for about $350.00 + it there was a holiday sale on top of the sale price, so with the help of my parents and the money I saved up I bought one.. My brother  SOME HOW wound up with it and it is in his garage this very day and working fine!

Dec 25, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #438 of 771
Since I've gotten the Bushmills (yesterday), I've been listening to them between my desktop and my recliner rigs, and so far all I have to say is that I can't take them off my head! They are becoming more and more interesting as I use them. Very, very cool sounding headphones, nice job on these!
Using the (L) cushions with them.

Dec 25, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #439 of 771
I bought my JVC RC-M70 last july from a private seller here in Montréal. These things usually lead a very hard life, so  I consider myself Lucky to have found one in such good condition, and at a fair price. I have seen a nicely restored one sell for over $900 on fleaBay. I can only imagine how much a mint RC-M90 would fetch.

Did you, or, do you plan on trying the G-cush with the Bushmills Joseph?, I did, but I like them better with the L,cush.

Dec 25, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #440 of 771
  I bought my JVC RC-M70 last july from a private seller here in Montréal. These things usually lead a very hard life, so  I consider myself Lucky to have found one in such good condition, and at a fair price. I have seen a nicely restored one sell for over $900 on fleaBay. I can only imagine how much a mint RC-M90 would fetch.

Did you, or, do you plan on trying the G-cush with the Bushmills Joseph?, I did, but I like them better with the L,cush.

I've also seen the JVC going for that much.
No, I had bought the (G) cushions to try with my 325's, and six hours later I traded them for a 15' Grado extension cord because I liked the intimacy with the (L) cushion much more. Lately I've been debating on re-prchasing the (G's), thinking maybe I didn't give them a chance…at all, So I may try them out again. I have the stock (S), Modded (S), (TTVJ flats) and of course the (L), and by far I prefer the (L) on all of the Grados that I own.
BTW Happy Holidays!

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #441 of 771
There was a LD1+ under the tree this morning. Bushmills plugged in for one last go'round...now I'm sorry I sold them...a proper amp improves these things by quiet a noticeable amount....dang. No worries though....RS1's should be here tomorrow.

Is that their little portable?
I was thinking about getting this for the Bush Mills

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #442 of 771

It really is not portable, but it is on the small side.

It is portable as in you can move it around the house, fast and easy....not for on the go, however.

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #443 of 771

No thats the LD MK1+ that is the portable one, but I've never heard one, but I'm sure you can read up on some other posts /threads about it. Here is the link for LD products/pricing, and you can also check it out. 
http://www.littledot.net/forum/index.php

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #444 of 771

The Little Dot 1+ is a small desktop with tubes. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #446 of 771
Dec 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #449 of 771
I have two stock LD1+, and I'd noticed that I had to turn the volume higher on the one that's in my den in order to get the same sound level, as the one in my living room. At first, I thought it was just that the output voltage of my living room's DVD-S2700 was higher, than that of my den's, Yamaha DVD-S1800.

Well, I found the problem, it turns out that the volume knob on my den's LD1+ is ''misaligned'', meaning that when the knob is turn all the way down, and supposed to be showing 0, it reads +8.

I'm wondering if anybody else has noticed that on their LD. I haven't tryed to reposition it yet. I just thought I'd post this first, just in case it's not just a simple matter of pulling hard enough on it, I wouldn't want to break anything, if I can avoid it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back