Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone?
Dec 10, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #151 of 771
  If they never make another, that's fine by me. It'll make mine worth even more. Simple fact is, they sound great. There's no novelty in great sound.

True. Though it will be interesting to see if Grado does release a line of semi closed models in the future.

Also, the pair on ebay are at £280 which is ~$460 so it looks like you have made a profit already
regular_smile .gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #153 of 771

I saw another writeup somewhere that indicated you could buy cheaper Grados that had comparable sound, so...

It appears to be not really a closed headphone either, and it's probably using the same old driver so I sense a bit of a "gimmick" here.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Grado never tried to pass them off as closed. They are vented. Not open back like the rest but vented. They don't sound like any other Grado I've heard which isn't all of them...Just the SR60, SR80, SR125, 

Headfi is no exception. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #155 of 771
  Think i'll just wait a few months and see if Martin can whip this up in some kind ebony.

I'm sure he can but it will be pricey.  Excellent work, tho'.

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #157 of 771

I'm going to have to try that line at home. "But, honey, I'm investing in headphones!"

Why not?, it worked for me when I bought my HP1000!
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #158 of 771

I'm going to have to try that line at home. "But, honey, I'm investing in headphones!"

haha...That's how I was able to justify buying them. I figure if I got them and don't like them well enough to keep, they should sell pretty easy right now since they sold out. I might not make a dollar but I wouldn't think I'd loose money on them if I sold right now. Kinda like a free audition of sorts.

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #159 of 771
  haha...That's how I was able to justify buying them. I figure if I got them and don't like them well enough to keep, they should sell pretty easy right now since they sold out. I might not make a dollar but I wouldn't think I'd loose money on them if I sold right now. Kinda like a free audition of sorts.

Well played! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #160 of 771

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Grado never tried to pass them off as closed. They are vented. Not open back like the rest but vented. They don't sound like any other Grado I've heard which isn't all of them...Just the SR60, SR80, SR125, SR225, SR325, RS2, and RS1...so yeah, maybe they do sound like another Grado but if it's not one I've heard before then you're looking at comparing them to a Grado that costs quite a bit more then the Bushmill. So to say you can get a cheaper Grado that sounds the same? I don't think so. Not out of the box. Perhaps a stock lesser grade Grado that's modded and woodied.

As far as gimmick...maybe a little. They are a limited edition made from whiskey barrels, so yeah, a little gimmick in that perhaps. But the sound is real and different and Grado and they are woodies. So gimmick aside, you're getting a woodie Grado that's $200 less than the next woodie step up and IMO, pretty damn close if not as good, but different, than the RS2.

So again, your loss. Maybe someday you'll be lucky to hear a pair and change you mind. Maybe not.

Loss? I have the HF-2 and the RS-1. Collectibility aside, I doubt they trump what I have. And the RS-2i is $495.

So if they don't sound like a Grado, what do they sound like? Do they compare sonically to other headphones you have heard?

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #162 of 771
I'm checking to see if they'll give me the discount on my previous order...lol...some places will do that. Heck, it's $40 in my pocket if they do. Not going to turn that down.

Dec 12, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #165 of 771
  Just got my shipping info yay soon very very soon NIN hesitation marks deluxe will be playing on a Grado bushmills :)

Looks like the gimmick claims another victim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back