Grado Bowls...Ouch!
Jul 1, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #31 of 46
how's sound quality of comfies with hole cut out (how big should i cut the hole?)?

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrOctagon
I'll be giving the flats a shot in the near future...I'm curious how they stack up against these bowls, but for right now, these bowl pads suit me just fine. ...I assume going to flat pads would be the natural progression, or should I bypass them and jump straight to the C-Pads?

yes, flat pads are what most consider the 'natural' progression.

you might also want to take into account the fact that flats are usually easier to resell and the initial financial hit isnt as great as C/Zeta pads.

flats bring the sound closer, attenuate the highs somewhat (less harsh), make the midrange sound far more 'rich', and ramp up the midbass ALOT.

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
Of course, others feel that the flats make the bass too boomy and muffle the mids.

naturally, these same people are all cloth-eared.
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

welcome to head-fi - we take our pads very seriously here.
eek.gif

wink.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #35 of 46
Another option that no one seems to have mentioned is simply to "reverse" the bowls, so that the flat "back" side faces your ears. I have done this and really found it to make a positive difference (for my 225s). While I haven't heard the flats, I've read elsewhere that the reversed bowls produce an effect about halfway between that of the bowls and the flats. While there is a small increase in bass and decrease in treble, the main effect was a considerably "richer"-sounding midrange. If you have bowls and are considering flats, it seems to me that reversing the bowls might give you a sense of whether or not you'd prefer the flats. I found that I've been enjoying the reversed bowl sound so much I haven't even gotten around to ordering flats, as I can't imagine that any change would likely be for the better.

Jul 1, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #36 of 46
Okay I take it back... My ears did start hurting around the six hour mark. Normally I wouldn't be wearing headphones for that long a period, but since I'd just gotten them I just couldn't stop listening...so different from what I'm used to in my Senns! I noticed a very slight pain coming from the middle of my ears at around the 5.5 hr mark. Kept them on a while longer, but the sharp uncomfortable feeling continued to get worse. When I took them off, my ears felt like someone had stomped on them or something, it was pretty painful. I wonder if wearing them for so long didn't numb my ears, because it wasn't until a while after the headphones had been off my head the pain really got bad...so much so that my ears hurt to the touch, hah. The pain was worth it though; the RS-1s sound amazing.

Methinks I'll try and get myself some flat pads then. Thanks!

Jul 2, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #37 of 46
So, are there any problems with using bowl pads with glasses for long periods of time?

Jul 2, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
Exactly what i found - though due to the diminutive size of my melon, No bending was required!
smily_headphones1.gif

I had to do some reasonable bending, but I did it really early on -- my SR80s came with a note on the back of the warranty page that reads:
[size=small]If Your Headphones Fit A Little Tight...[/size]

The headband may be stretche dopen slightly by pulling at the ends of the headband. Please keep in mind not to over stretch the headband, we don't want the headphones to be loose and falling off your head.

Jul 2, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #39 of 46
A legandary story once told in another thread says it all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
Anyhow I guess I'll just incorporate wearing the bowl pads into my martial arts training. My Master says, "You must conduct the final test grasshopper". Usagi says, "I am ready Master". My fellow students commence the attack by swinging boards like bats, breaking them on my shins, forearms, and back. At this point, I am too strong, in body and mind, for the attack to sway me. I remain unchanged, steadfast. Then a student approaches from behind and gently place the SR60s, with bowl pads, on my head!............My eyes shoot wide open from the shock. All the color from my eyes disappears, turning atramentously dark. All the pain and suffering of the world now rests on my ear lobes. It is too much to bear. My last words of this world before I pass unto the next are, "So..beautiful...yet....so....deadly". A slow exhale, then my body buckles under its own weight and collapses. Master shakes his head in disappointment...............THE END

Aug 14, 2005 at 7:08 AM Post #41 of 46
can someone pls post a pic of any grado fitted with a reversed bowl. Wonder if it deteriorates the looks. I love the grado look especially the awesome rs1

Aug 14, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #43 of 46
cool, so reversing the bowls are just like using flats with thicker pads making the drivers a little further from the ears...nice. Does it sound the best that way elephas?

Aug 14, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
So, the comfies look exactly like the bowls except they are made of a softer matieral (From what I can deduce from the SR-60 pics at Grado's website)? The pads seem to look the same from the 60s all the way to 125s on Grado's website.

The pics on Grado's website are all out of date(and have been for a long time), except for the SR325i's, which are shown with the bowl pads on. Every other pic on there shows the flat pads, which are now a TTVJ exclusive.

rs1smile.gif
Abe

Aug 14, 2005 at 8:30 AM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
cool, so reversing the bowls are just like using flats with thicker pads making the drivers a little further from the ears...nice. Does it sound the best that way elephas?

yes it's a good compromise tween bowls and flats. but they HURT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back