Grado Bowls Glue Mod. (With Pics)
May 9, 2007 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

adanac061

1000+ Head-Fier
Something had been amiss with my 325i's since I upgraded my source to the x-dac. All of a sudden, I could hear a grating brightness in the highs, and harsh vocals as well as lean bass.

Purhaps the Juli@ is not revealing enough to show these flaws?

But that is in the past as I have put together a mod to fix these issues.

The pad glue mod.

This mod is inspired by the tape around the bowls mod, and takes the idea to the next level.

The mod increases bass amount as well as bass impact, and more importantly fixes most of the harshness in the midrange and treble.

Very easy, just coat the outside of the pad with PVA glue.
Like this...

during.jpg

It dries clear like this...

after.jpg

Your left with an air tight seal around the pad.

I don't know why it works, but it does?

May 9, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 19
nice mod
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 19
Interesting mod. Do the pads become really stiff or do they still compress?

May 9, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ueyteuor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats ghetto! but awesome idea

No, ghetto would be to coat the pads in roach spray and crack. And then smoke them. Tweaking the pads on $300 headphones is in no way ghetto
wink.gif

Kerry M

May 9, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #7 of 19
A couple of days ago I did the tape-around-the-bowls mod, and it transformed my 325i into my favorite phone. Loads of bass and better midrange and treble. Still a Grado though.
If this mod works as good, I highly recommend it.

I wonder if black silicone would work too.

May 9, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very easy, just coat the outside of the pad with pvc glue.

a bit confused about the type of glue . . . . . when I google pvc glue I find adhesive for PVC pipe, while the glue in the photos resembles "Elmer's Glue".

I had also considered this approach but stopped short of actually trying as I was uncertain about what adhesive to use. Rubber cement or black silicone sealant seemed likely candidates, but I was concerned about residual stickiness and such.

May 9, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 19
You should definitely be careful with which kind of glue you use. I would assume certain types will actually break down the foam itself. PVC glue or epoxies will likely disintegrate your bowls. Just a thought.

May 9, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a bit confused about the type of glue . . . . . when I google pvc glue I find adhesive for PVC pipe, while the glue in the photos resembles "Elmer's Glue".

I had also considered this approach but stopped short of actually trying as I was uncertain about what adhesive to use. Rubber cement or black silicone sealant seemed likely candidates, but I was concerned about residual stickiness and such.

PVC or polyvinylchloride basically like wood glue.

Edit: sorry I meant PVA polyvinlyacetate glue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should definitely be careful with which kind of glue you use. I would assume certain types will actually break down the foam itself. PVC glue or epoxies will likely disintegrate your bowls. Just a thought.

It seems fine with the one that I used, but yeah don't use super glue or something silly like that
eek.gif

May 11, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #15 of 19
nice mod..would probably try the tape mod first.. Thanks adanac061

Users who are viewing this thread

Back