Grado and Price Fixing
Sep 28, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #196 of 220
I would like to have a pair of Grado GS1000, man at $995?
frown.gif

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #197 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Zanth, the example I gave IS price-fixing. If, by enforcing a MAP, the manufacturer somehow threatens the dealer into not selling below MAP and the relationship continues, there arguably has been an agreement in restraint of trade. Again, I have not seen any indication in this particular scenario, but it is a closer call than I think your post suggests.

I KNOW the example you gave is price fixing that is why I WROTE it was. What I am saying is that is NOT what Grado is doing. They are NOT saying SELL at MSRP, they are saying ADVERTISE AT MSRP or ABOVE. BIG difference.

Grados CAN be DISCOUNTED BELOW MSRP. They CAN'T be ADVERTISED below MSRP. So, again, what The Monkey proposed IS price fixing, what Grado enforces is NOT. Hence....no illegal activities.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #198 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
So you know this with absolute certainty? As the Monkey indicated there's the potential with MAP that (a contract is created?) if a dealer complies with the manufacturers request to stop selling below MAP and it could be seen in another light.

Yes I KNOW for certainty. The Monkey hypothesized a situation, I clarified that what happened with Powermax and what is happening internationally is not this. Grado does not request that anyone stops selling lower than MSRP, they request (at times) that people do no ADVERTISE below MSRP.

Sep 28, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #199 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster
frown.gif

I have seen these in the FS forums for as low as $850 in like new cond..
fyi

Sep 28, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #200 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Yes I KNOW for certainty. The Monkey hypothesized a situation, I clarified that what happened with Powermax and what is happening internationally is not this. Grado does not request that anyone stops selling lower than MSRP, they request (at times) that people do no ADVERTISE below MSRP.

I THINK we're in agreement.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #202 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
I KNOW the example you gave is price fixing that is why I WROTE it was. What I am saying is that is NOT what Grado is doing. They are NOT saying SELL at MSRP, they are saying ADVERTISE AT MSRP or ABOVE. BIG difference.

Grados CAN be DISCOUNTED BELOW MSRP. They CAN'T be ADVERTISED below MSRP. So, again, what The Monkey proposed IS price fixing, what Grado enforces is NOT. Hence....no illegal activities.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey Jay you need a new keyboard your cap locks button seems to be dodgy.

Sep 28, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #203 of 220
I suspect many Head-Fiers are paying the advertised Grado price and still don’t realize that certain dealers can charge a lower price if asked about it. Because this is news to me Zanth.

Sep 28, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #204 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
I suspect many Head-Fiers are paying the advertised Grado price and still don’t realize that certain dealers can charge a lower price if asked about it. Because this is news to me Zanth.

It's not uncommon to get 10% off if you're a frequent customer at a HiFi shop. Might be tougher to do with an online business.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster
frown.gif

That's not price fixing, that's just what Grado wants for that phone. That's kind of a big "hit or miss" headphone, the GS1000. You can find it used in brand new condition easily...

Sep 28, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #205 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909

Just because people are paying advertised prices and/or are ignorant of discounts doesn't make the enforcement of a MSRP equal to price fixing now does it? If people would:

1) get cozy with their B&M stores, they might get offered discounts rather than have to ask for them
2) people should ask for them and if not offered, then look elsewhere.

Again, as I wrote way back in this thread, when I was in the market for RS-1's it was 2001, when the CAD dollar was being thrown around by the US dollar. Cost of RS-1's MSRP? $1200 CAD ($695 USD). I asked about a deal and I was immediately offered $200 off but it was special order only. Another shoppe had some (or rather an employee owned a pair and was willing to bring them in so I could have a listen) I asked if they could match the $1000 and they didn't even flinch. I'm just some kid off the street asking, imagine what a faithful customer would have received?

The point? Discounts happen all the time, but if one doens't ask, one shouldn't expect to receive.

Sep 28, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #206 of 220
I had been under the impression that dealers selling below Grado’s price list could get in trouble or lose their dealer authorization if they got caught. If this is the case as you suggest then the whole MAP policy and enforcement seems pretty pointless and a waste of every ones time. It’s like a game because its just a superficial facade. And I suspect, if someone posted I got the GS-1000s for under $790 at "X" Hi Fi shop John might put a stop to it.

Sep 29, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #210 of 220
I got 20% off my SR225 from my preferred Canadian dealer that I had a relationship with, which almost put it in line with the MSRP in a USA store
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back