Grado and Price Fixing
Sep 26, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #181 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
I chose to buy used. And Grado did not get anything from my buy. Had I found Grados here for prices comprable to the US, I would have bought new. And Grado would have benefit from my buy.

And I'm not the only one.

Get my point?

But this is a business call by John, because if not for his policies, the Japan retailers I used to frequent would have had to compete with say TTVJ or other international internet retailers on price. And having comfort that they won't need to compete with people outside of Japan is what incentivizes the Japan retailers to carry his product.

Breaking down the math (I think these are reasonable assumptions, I don't know what the breakdown is exactly),

For an SR-225, Grado maybe gets 50% of the "MSRP", or $100. To send that out to Japan and for a distributor there, that distributor would likely demand at least 25 - 50% of that, minimum, for their distribution.

Let's be extremely conservative and put that at $25. Additional shipping costs overseas, add another $15, then distribution within Japan, another $10.

So conservatively, it costs a Japanese retailer at least about $150, to compete against a bit under $200 + $25 shipping from TTVJ?

Why would the retailer do it? Even if they charge $220, that kind of margin is not consistent with Japanese audio sales, where margins are well over 100%. That's just their economics, based on their cost of carrying goods and general demand in the marketplace for these goods.

The retailers would sit it out and say no to Grado. Grado would not be displayed in stores in Japan and would lose sales/shelf space that way. I can't tell you how much that means in terms of sales, but I suspect having a physical presence in the high-end audio shops is the sort of thinking is what drives the policies.

Now why the margins are so insane in Europe, I have no idea. RS-1 going for more than a thousand does seem awful irrational to me. Even as overpriced as Japan is, RS-1 can be had for about $850 on the street. But based on my Japan experience, and prices there, the insane Euro pricing has more to do with what's going on specific in the European market than it does with John's policies.

We can analyze this in more depth and come up with a good economics rationale why it's not a good policy. But that's pretty academic. All I'm saying is that there is a rational (if simplistic) basis for the policy, and it is not one aimed at somehow screwing the customer.

BTW, SR-225 are about $300 - $350 in Japan, which is consistent with the margins/estimates I discuss above.

Best,

-Jason

Sep 27, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #183 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisenor
Sorry, I was being a little bitter. I knew that wouldn't escape you, though, Plainsong. You're my e-mom.

And make sure you listen to some decent headphones today. No listening to stock earbuds. And tuck in your shirt. Did you wash your hands before playing with your audio stuff?

In all seriousness though, it's a common myth in the US. My parents keep telling me how people over here feel, and it's just not true. You can dislike the actions of a government but it would be a very uneducated type of person to extend that to an entire people. Only the more aggressive types tend to do that. Just FYI for the US residents.
smily_headphones1.gif

No one intentionally wants to rip off Grado, but when price gauging occurrs, which is what's happening (intentional or not, and when you figure in the cost of shipping, vat, and other overheads, it still doesn't add up), it encourages gray market buying and selling.

Sep 28, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #184 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
My RS1 box clearly says "MADE IN USA" on the bottom.

Also, I've seen them being made.

I can't believe I missed/overlooked that because I certainly don't think (almost certain) my three Grado boxes didn't have any indication as to where they were made.

Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
I found it rather disapointing to discover the very same thing with both my MS-1 and MS2i.

That's interesting. I wonder if some indicate where they are made and others don't.

Mercuttio, if you don't mind a picture would be nice if it isn’t an inconvenience.

Sep 28, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #185 of 220
I'm filing with the local Atorney Generals office.

Nuff said. Five complaints and we're golden. Let freedom ring.

Sep 28, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #186 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate
I'm filing with the local Atorney Generals office.

Nuff said. Five complaints and we're golden. Let freedom ring.

Are you for real?
confused.gif

Sep 28, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #187 of 220
Better be sarcasm else the said Attorney's office will laugh in his face considering Grado sells direct to dealers in the US and there are no issues for Americans to complain about at all.

Sep 28, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #188 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Better be sarcasm else the said Attorney's office will laugh in his face considering Grado sells direct to dealers in the US and there are no issues for Americans to complain about at all.

Well, not exactly. As I mentioned earlier, if a manufacturer tells its dealer to stop selling its merchandise below MAP or else the relationship is over, and the dealer subsequently complies, then there could be a problem. I'm not saying it is happening here, but it gives an indication of how careful a company must be when using MAP.

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #189 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Well, not exactly. As I mentioned earlier, if a manufacturer tells its dealer to stop selling its merchandise below MAP or else the relationship is over, and the dealer subsequently complies, then there could be a problem. I'm not saying it is happening here, but it gives an indication of how careful a company must be when using MAP.

Right, but that is called price fixing. This is not what is happening here. Price fixing is illegal, enforcing a "don't advertize below MSRP" is not. Hence, no beef and the attorney will laugh.

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #190 of 220
Quote:

Right, but that is called price fixing. This is not what is happening here. Price fixing is illegal, enforcing a "don't advertize below MSRP" is not. Hence, no beef and the attorney will laugh.

yup, case closed
rolleyes.gif

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #191 of 220
Quote:

This is not what is happening here.

So you know this with absolute certainty? As the Monkey indicated there's the potential with MAP that (a contract is created?) if a dealer complies with the manufacturers request to stop selling below MAP and it could be seen in another light.

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #192 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
So you know this with absolute certainty? As the Monkey indicated there's the potential with MAP that (a contract is created?) if a dealer complies with the manufacturers request to stop selling below MAP and it could be seen in another light.

But he's already breached contract (i think), and I would assume theres a clause that allows Grado to break the relationship

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #193 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
But he's already breached contract (i think), and I would assume theres a clause that allows Grado to break the relationship

The only thing the dealer and the manufacturer can agree on is the MAP. They cannot agree on an actual minimum sales price. If selling below MAP is a breach of the contract, then the careful manufacturer will end the relationship immediately. It is a subtle, but tricky problem.

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #194 of 220
Quote:

Yes, the example I gave is price-fixing. If, by enforcing a MAP, the manufacturer somehow threatens the dealer into not selling below MAP and the relationship continues, there arguably has been an agreement in restraint of trade. Again, I have not seen any indication in this particular scenario, but it is a closer call than I think your post suggests.

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #195 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire

I didn’t mean when the relationship is over, but when it continues. If a manufacturer tells the dealer either sell at MAP or the relationship is over and the dealer agrees to sell at MAP. Therein lies the rub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back