Grado Amp -Yes/No
Oct 27, 2009 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kunalraiker

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Guys,

As most of you, who have read my earlier post are aware that I plan to get the Grado SR325is to run off my Cowon iAudio7.

My question is that should I get a portable Amp or not, considering the headphones have 32 ohms, everyone seems to thinks they are easy to run of a good source, if I do getan amp I'am just scared that it may get my music sound coloured as I will already be using my iaudio jet effects.I listen to them currently using sennheiser cx300.

Fiio E5 are very cheap on e-bay about 20$ including shipping from China, should I bother getting these or not get any amp at all, Also are there any locally sold portable amps in Melbourne, would not prefer spending more then $50.00

Thanks for your comments guys.

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks Uncle Eric,so I would imagine you never felt the need for an Amp,how loud do you listen.

Also CMOY, where would I get the right one, there are so many OP-Amps out there, its way too confusing.

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always run Grados off an iPod without a portable amp. They sound good enough.

good, not great
o2smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Uncle Eric,so I would imagine you never felt the need for an Amp,how loud do you listen.

Also CMOY, where would I get the right one, there are so many OP-Amps out there, its way too confusing.

For me, with the iphone(not my main rig) I find myself 3/4 volume up so an amp seemed needed. I have heard the cmoy is very similar to the RA1 and worth giving a shot if you are thinking that route.

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 9
Not necessary unless you prefer a loud volume. I've tried the RS1 with and without an RA1, the RA1 spent the next couple of years stashed away on a shelf until I sold it.

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 9
You don't need an amp to run Grado's because they are pretty efficient but that doesn't mean they won't benefit from using one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back