Grado/alessandro channel imbalance?
Jun 10, 2005 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
first off... is "imbalance" even a word... as in the lack of symmetry from side to side?

I was getting a little concerned my PA2=>MS2 seems to sound hotter on the right side. Guitars/vocals are more "in my face", on the right channel. While the left side is slightly more distant and not as loud. Image pulls to the right more as a result. Only happens after ~45 minutes of listening.... not at the beginning???

strange... So I fiddle with my bowl pads and I think whats happening is my right ear cartilage is not as rigid, and doesnt stick out as much as the left side. So the bowl foam compresses and the driver sinks down to my head more on the right.

With the cans on my head, I spin/rotate the bowl on the right side to an un-compressed spot against my ear to pull the driver back out away... viola.. the image re-centers itself.

Am I crazy? Any one else notice this?.. is this psycho-acoustics or for real?

Garrett

Jun 10, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 19
Garrett, I find, with my ear configuration, it's not just Grado/Alessandros that give me a sound that is skewed to the right. I have to position many, if not most, of my headphones down a bit on the left to bring the sound to the center................crooked head syndrome?
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 19
I have read here that that is a common problem with Grados. And I noticed the same thing with my SR325is. After about 30 mins the right side seems to be a bit louder.

Jun 10, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 19
every head is definitely shaped differently. looking at my beyer pads, i see all sorts of odd peaks and valleys on it. i can only imagine what a spongy light grado bowl pad is going through while a hot ear is melting on it for almost an hour.

another reason for flats- it's almost flush ear-to-driver anyhow, so no huge distance discrepancies!

Jun 10, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 19
You, like me, will love listening to the U2 album All That You Can't Leave Behind. Nomition for worst album for headphones ever made, by me.

I have some problems like you as well, though I own no grados.

Jun 11, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 19
It's freaked me out too, with bowls and comfies. Usually taking off the pads and/or switching them around will even it out. I also think a lot of recordings are right soundstage heavy and with headphones it's more obvious than with a speaker setup.

Jun 11, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 19
I've been sort of afflicted with this same issue as well, but i think its more of the fact that our heads are not perfectly symmetrical and are shaped somewhat funny, vs. issues with the grados design. I look at them and they look perfectly symmetrical, i even put them on perfectly symetrical, but a las i have to fit them accordingly so its balanced.

Jun 11, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 19
"Grado/alessandro channel imbalance?"

Try playing a Mono signal through the headphones- maybe your pre-amp has a mono switch?

Or switch the RCA’s right \ left and see if the imbalance follows the channel switch?

Have you had your hearing checked recently? Seriously since I’d believe the drivers are well matched. Probably matched better than most peoples hearing.

Mitch

Jun 11, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #10 of 19
I used to think my grados were off balanced then I reversed the sides and realized my hearing is slightly better in one ear than the other,

::I used to party alot:: Im sure Ive probably damaged my ears permanently as a result.

Jun 12, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
I used to think my grados were off balanced then I reversed the sides and realized my hearing is slightly better in one ear than the other,

::I used to party alot:: Im sure Ive probably damaged my ears permanently as a result.

Thats probably closer to the truth - everyday noise takes it's toll on your shell-likes
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2005 at 7:08 AM Post #12 of 19
Would someone be able to please send me a song that they feel is pretty even on both sides, left and right, and that even if carefully listened to, would have next to no difference in both channels (as in everything would feel almost completely centered the entire time)? With my previous headphones (yes, my Labtecs), I wasn't able to really tell too many left/right differences and I'm wondering if all this is a problem with my MS-1s or if my songs are just sometimes channel imbalanced. As it currently stands, most of my songs don't have a noticeable channel imbalance, but I've noticed several that do.

Thanks.

Jun 12, 2005 at 10:38 AM Post #13 of 19
I got the same problem, I don t know if it s my hearing or song mixing or due to a strange shape of head. I tried to decide but I couldn t come to a conclusion.
Oh and that s with all headphones

Jun 12, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #15 of 19
I thought about that too, I tried one of those spray that are supposed to dissolve it. Didn t do much but in favor of the hypothesis the spray I tried didn t seem very effective.
I might be a little insane
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back