Grado 325i vs 325x, and earpads
Dec 29, 2021 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Corvin25

New Head-Fier
Hello. VERY infrequent poster here. Not really an "expert," but I do love good-sounding music.

I found some old headphones that I hadn't worn in years, An old SR80 and SR325i. I was thinking of getting them repaired by a Grado-certified technician, since they both are in dire need of repairs, like new cables and headbands. Currently using a Sennheiser HD599(which is amazing), but I just like to switch it up sometimes, spread the "abuse" between sets. And I remember being blown away by the sound quality way back when, so... :)

I'm just wondering if it's worth it to get these old Grados repaired. I know the SR325 is up to the "X" drivers now, meaning my 325i is more than a decade out of date. Is it still worth getting them fixed? Or is the sound difference negligible?

And lastly, are there any recommended alternative earpads to Grado's official ones? I can't say I'm a fan of their official earpads since they really hurt my ears and they crumble like cookies after a year or two. I'm eyeing some Geekria Grado pads on Amazon.

Hope to hear from someone soon, thanks! :)

Attachments

• SR325 ear wire.jpg
    SR325 ear wire.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • SR80.jpg
    SR80.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • SR325 broken wire.jpg
    SR325 broken wire.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Dec 29, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 7
Assuming you can present proof the phones were purchased from an authorized Grado dealer, Grado will fix them for life. Contact Grado, they're very friendly people.

I have a pair of SR325 (original) I purchased new in 2000. I recently purchased new drivers, supposedly "hemp grade" (the new phone from Grado), but not Grado. Yet to install.

Jan 5, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 7
Hello. VERY infrequent poster here. Not really an "expert," but I do love good-sounding music.

I found some old headphones that I hadn't worn in years, An old SR80 and SR325i. I was thinking of getting them repaired by a Grado-certified technician, since they both are in dire need of repairs, like new cables and headbands. Currently using a Sennheiser HD599(which is amazing), but I just like to switch it up sometimes, spread the "abuse" between sets. And I remember being blown away by the sound quality way back when, so... :)

I'm just wondering if it's worth it to get these old Grados repaired. I know the SR325 is up to the "X" drivers now, meaning my 325i is more than a decade out of date. Is it still worth getting them fixed? Or is the sound difference negligible?

And lastly, are there any recommended alternative earpads to Grado's official ones? I can't say I'm a fan of their official earpads since they really hurt my ears and they crumble like cookies after a year or two. I'm eyeing some Geekria Grado pads on Amazon.

Hope to hear from someone soon, thanks! :)

Two recommendations from Grado pads --
1) Shipibo.Audio : https://www.shipibo.audio/earpads - Outstanding comfort, and great sonically as well
2) G-Cushion pads : You can find "knock-off" version on eBay for less, or get the official ones from Grado - Improved comfort and sonic attributes

Cheers!

Jan 6, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 7
Earthquake? Plane crash? Tsunami? I've never seen such destruction!☹️
They were placed in storage for a long time. I don't know why they are so mangled! But I do know that the wire on the earcup kinda broke open from normal use. It must have been creased or something. In fact I think this might be the reason why they switched to braided cables.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 7
I like to know how much Grado would charge to repair them. I believe that it's going to cost more than it would to buy comparable used ones. Shipping costs are high. I would try to sell them, as is, to a modder. You might be able to swing a deal on a working unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back