Grado 325 without amp
May 5, 2002 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Fizzmix

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I have a pair of Grado 325s and I would like to know approximately how much of the sound quality i'm getting without a total airhead amp. Since these are low impedance 'phones, I don't think it would make a big difference, but how much would it make?

Thanks in advance! Fizzmix

May 5, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 11
Hi Fizzmix,
It's very difficult, if not impossible, to state exactly how much improvement you would notice with an amp. But, I can tell you that there is a difference. I don't particularly like the TA, as I hear a high-end roll-off and muddier bass, but I do use any number of JMT-built portable amps, and they make the sound more dynamic and full. Bass is more controlled, the mids are more transparent, and the highs are more extended. This is with using the line-out of my portable CDP, in comparison to just plugging into the headphone jack. And this is with the 325s. If you have any doubts, after you get an amp, try this:
Listen for one week straight with the amp. Then go back to the headphone jack. I believe it will be crystal clear why most people here use dedicated amps. Hope this helps,
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2002 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 11
Hey, Fizzmix. This is my first post on the head-fi forums. . . I purchased a pair of Beyer DT250 @ 80 ohm headphones and a regular Airhead amp (stupid budget
very_evil_smiley.gif
). Although they aren't Grados or in the same price category, I can tell you a few things about low-impedence headphones with or without HeadRoom amps.

With extended listening I notice a significant difference between the sound quality from the Beyers alone and using the AirHead. If your source is a portable CD player (as mine is) then the difference is slight but noticeable. It largely consists of more defined treble and tighter, less rolled-off bass, as well as a noticeable improvement in detail.

Keep in mind that I have no other sources or audiophile headphones to compare sound with. If you are using a higher quality source and don't have an amp it wouldn't hurt to get the TAH. I imagine you'll be just fine without one, though, since volume level isn't such an issue with low imp. headphones thru a CD player unless you listen at insanely loud levels.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Cheers,
Geek

May 5, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks a lot for replying guys!

I am getting my 325s today, and I will ONLY use them out of my portable... How much better will the 325s unamped sound over my 60s? A lot? Thanks a lot!

Fizzmix

May 5, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 11
I don't want to give you any pre-conceived ideas about the sound of the 325s versus the SR-60s. Let your own ears be the judge. I can tell you that, any improvements that you hear, will only get better with an amp. Please post your impressions when you get them and have a had a chance to do some listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 11
joelongwood is right. Go with the SR325 on their own merits. You may be totally content and never upgrade to an amp. Of course, that is assuming you stop visiting this forum.
smily_headphones1.gif
However, I do disagree with his description of the Total Airhead, but that is a different thread.

May 5, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

However, I do disagree with his description of the Total Airhead...

Since the TA was my first amp and was thrilled with its sound, I probably would have disagreed with me as well......if I didn't hear it in direct comparison to a JMT-built CHA47. To my ears, there is simply no comparison. But those are my ears.......you may hear something different.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
I don't particularly like the TA, as I hear a high-end roll-off and muddier bass

I agree with joe's impressions, but found these to be true primarily with the crossfeed circuit on (just about all it does to my ears). Overall, I found the TA lacking in driving my AKG 501's, not to mention the whole volume pot crackling sound.

If your source has even a little power, you might be satisfied without an amp for now. My little portable CDP puts out a decent 20mW/channel and drives the notoriously hard-to-drive 501's to fairly loud levels. I am still looking for an amp, but I am not in a great hurry. Your Grado's are much more efficient than the AKG's, so driving them without an amp should be easy and OK for the short term, at least.

May 5, 2002 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 11
I have some RS-2's that I use with a portable and they sounded pretty good with no amp but JMT built me a CHA47 amp and it made quite a difference much tighter bass, and a fuller sound plus better highs.I was surprised at the difference.

May 6, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 11
I remember my upgrade path was the 125's to the 325's (still without amp). I won't compare the two, because as joelongwood said, you don't need any ideas already in your head. I will just say I loved my 325's but out of curiosity I got the RA-1 amp, and it was like going from great to almost unreal. I was lucky in that I could afford the RA-1. If I couldn't, I certainly would not have been disappointed. The 325's were still astonishing to me even before I got the RA-1. Remember to give the 325's some decent burn-in time before making judgement.

Just beware of the upgrade bug...it has already "forced" me to go up to the RS-1's and buy a $500 CD player and some $100 cables. Please...get out now while you still can....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back