Grado 225, AKG 501, or Senn 580
Dec 13, 2002 at 11:17 AM Post #16 of 23
Bytor...

...all of the mentioned headphones are very good ones. In view of your receiver the K 501 is the most critical one, because its sensitivity is quite low, so the HP out must have a lot of power. Besides, its bass is very lean and could be an issue with your preferred music styles. But if you're lucky, your receiver is a bass monster! (There are such cases.) As already mentioned, its midrange is great – accurate and neutral –, and the treble is extended and detailed, while the bass is very accurate and quite extended, just a bit underrepresented. One of its most outstanding properties is its wide and natural soundstage.

The SR-225 is my preferred Grado model (I don't know the RS series though) – very universal, quite well balanced, with a strong and extended bass, a clean and neutral midrange and articulate and smooth highs (with flat pads). It's commonly called a rock headphone, and it really does this genre justice, but I find it equally appropriate to classical music (it even likes classical!) and jazz because of its neutrality and vividity.

The HD 580/600 is often called «laid back» or «veiled». I can't follow this characterization. At least in my configuration, which includes a special handmade cable and renounces the foam pads. Quite the opposite: my HD 600 is even brighter and more detailed than the SR-225 and clearly betters this one in the midrange resolution. Not to mention the soundstage, one of the HD 580/600's strengths. The bass is less pronounced than the SR-225's, but I like it as it is: fairly detailed, accurate and extended, but not outstanding. The highs are brilliant, but smooth and unostentatious, nevertheless provide a lot of information and shine with cymbals. These strengths may not be brought to bear with mediocre sources and amps, so you'll possibly prefer the SR-225 which is less dependent on electronics. But actually it's the HD 580's fidelity which is just merciless and doesn't do a lot of impressive effects.

Dec 13, 2002 at 1:02 PM Post #17 of 23
I have both the SR 225 and the HD 600. If I were you I would go with the SR 225. The HD 600 sounds good, but in order to make it sound good, you need to spend more money on an amp and a replacement cable. If you are on a budget, the HD 600s is not a good choice. Besides, the SR225 is a darn good phone anyway. Especially with rock.

Dec 13, 2002 at 5:16 PM Post #18 of 23
I second jpelg's opinion. I own both the AKG501's and the HD600's. While the 501's are phenomenal with bass-light classical music, they might not have enough impact for rock music. The HD600's themselves IMO are not that great for rock music, but probably better than the 501's. Can't comment on the Grados, since I don't own/never heard them.

Dec 13, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #19 of 23
Bytor,
Why don't you audition the Senn HD 590s?
Cheers,
Alex Altorfer

Dec 14, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #22 of 23
Bytor,
All I can do is sorta summarize what I've read in the forum about these cans. Those who prefer the 580/600 duo generally claim that the 590s are too bright and not smooth enough for them. Those who prefer the 590s generally claim that the 580/600 duo sounds 'veiled' and 'distant'. I understand that with the 580/600 duo it feels like you are sitting at the back (last row) of the concert hall, whereas with the 590s it feels like you are sitting somewhere in the middle rows of the concert hall. Be mindful that this is what other people have written. I'm paraphrasing. What I find most significant here is that the 590s have a lower impedance (120 Ohms) than the 580/600 duo (300 Ohms) and so they are easier to drive and require less investment to make them reach their full sonic potential. What you should do is audition these cans yourself before making a decision. Your ears count more than others opinions. Below is a link to a review of the HD 590s:

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=486

Cheers,
Alex Altorfer
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #23 of 23
I've own all three at the same time.
For the equipment and music that you own I'd say the Grados would give you the most enjoyment.

If price is a big problem and you want that Grado sound let me make a suggestion:
The Alessandro MS-1 is a killer buy at only $99.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back