Grado 225/325i/MS2i, help me make a decision!
Jul 26, 2007 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Grey Massacre

500+ Head-Fier
Hello head-fiers,

I have gone through most of the threads related to these, but I am still not convinced which way to go.

I have recently sold my SR80 and I want a Grado can to compliment my FANTASTIC Darth's. I have narrowed my search to three of them, which between the three have the most bass(in terms of impact/tightness) and that not considering all the mods possible.

Also aside from the bass characteristics, what makes you choose one or other of these cans. I also plan to use Headphile's pads later on, these might get re-cabled(BlackCopper/BlackDragon/Cardas?) also, my amp will be the LD2++ with various tubes.

I am not interested into the more expensive models. I plan listening mostly metal with them.

Any information is appreciated,

Thanks,

Charles

Jul 26, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 18
From what I know and what I think I know; I think I'd go with the SR-325i also, especially considering your taste in music.
cool.gif

Jul 26, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i say get the 325i just to compliment the LOOKS of your darth beyers! gahaha

Actually I was thinking of getting metal based Grado's because I already got wood. I love the Grado's looks as well!
smily_headphones1.gif

Charles

Jul 26, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i say get the 325i just to compliment the LOOKS of your darth beyers! gahaha

I'd say get the MS2i to complement the looks!

But the SR325i to complement the SOUND!!

gahaha X2!!
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 18
You will appreciate the smoother sound of the 225's after the looks of the 325i fade and the peaky treble does not. You can spend the savings to have the 225's woodied if you want looks.

How would you compare the sound of your Marantz 2235 headphone output to the LDII++?

Jul 26, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will appreciate the smoother sound of the 225's after the looks of the 325i fade and the peaky treble does not. You can spend the savings to have the 225's woodied if you want looks.

How would you compare the sound of your Marantz 2235 headphone output to the LDII++?

Hello there tbonner1,

Speaking of Marantz I got another receiver just yesterday! I paid 20 bucks CAN for it, it is a SR1000, a low end model from the 80's I believe, I find it so fun to restore those units! Also I have gotten a SR2000 turn table but something is broken, I will have to check out, the needle/cartridge is not working properly. Those Marantz amps sound so great! My dad owns a 2275 also which I will re-lamp and clean sometime soon when I have time!

As for my impression from the headphone output out of the Marantz 2235, I find the output is really good, I would say with the bass/loudness knobs can provide TREMENDOUS amount of bass to a point of fearing to rip apart my 770 pro's. It is really fun to tailor the sound, I find the sound is really warm, I would say a bit too warm for the 770's or Darth's. But paired to Grado's like the SR80 which I owned for about 5 years, it was TOTALLY AWESOME. They sounded really full with the Marantz, not a single bit of harshness.

I find that the LD2++ with proper tubes will provide better detail/control/positioning especially with the Darth's. I love every bits of the LD2++ and I am not planning in upgrading my amp for a long run.

I have 2 others things coming in the mail for my LD2++: a pure silver/copper with Marinco end power cable coming which I got for relatively for cheap and some Valvo EF92 driver tubes, they are known for having good bass control. So that might change my perspective on some points.

EDIT: Woodyfied 225 from Headphile sounds so interesting, mmm! Gotta make up my mind first.

Charles

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #10 of 18
I think I can chime in on this ! Recently, I had the opportunity to hear the 3 cans. The winner : MS2i came first IMO, after SR-225 then the SR325i far behind. I'll say you why, IMO, the MS2i has the best bass, the best highs, are more balanced, smooth too. The SR-325i behind the SR-225, hmm wait a minute... $200 vs $300 and $200 wins, yeah, the SR-325i lacks alot of body, it's too clean, sibilant at times, lean bass too, it's a step over the SR-225 for sure but I would say more a side-step in the wrong direction IMO.

I hope this helps !

Enjoy you new cans too !

Jul 26, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #11 of 18
I was at the same meet as Killercrush (and his incredible SR-100, which bested all three we are discussing). 5 of us made the comparison of MS2i, SR-225 and SR-325i, and all five agreed that MS2i was the best of the lot, including the owner of the SR-325i, who wished he had gotten an MS2i instead.
I think people assume MS2i will be tame, because MS-PRO and MS-1 are much more relaxed than their counterparts. And while MS2i is bit tamer than SR-325i, it is still very bright and punchy, with tight but strong bass. It just replaces the shrillness of the 325i with a bit more balanced, but definitely not boring presentation.
I also did a separate testing of MS2i versus 225 today, and the owner of the 225 thought the MS2i was far better.
MS2i is by no means perfect, but of the three, MS2i is the clear winner for me.

Jul 26, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The winner : MS2i came first IMO, after SR-225 then the SR325i far behind. I'll say you why, IMO, the MS2i has the best bass, the best highs, are more balanced, smooth too. The SR-325i behind the SR-225, hmm wait a minute... $200 vs $300 and $200 wins, yeah, the SR-325i lacks alot of body, it's too clean, sibilant at times, lean bass too, it's a step over the SR-225 for sure but I would say more a side-step in the wrong direction IMO.

Hello fellow Montreal-headfi'er!
smily_headphones1.gif

Coming from the SR-80 I am leaning toward the 225 now, since they can be had at around 170 new and they are much lighter. It sounds like it is a good upgrade from one to the other. I understand that the 225 they have a bit more coloration in term of sound signature as compared to the MS2i right?

Thanks,

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back