Grado 125 sounds shrill at high end
Aug 1, 2009 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

leichnitz

100+ Head-Fier
About 6 months ago, I got some Grado 125s used for about $100 (not sure if 125i or not), and at first the sound of high quality headphones was a revelation. I was so very happy. In fact, I immediately ordered another pair for gift for a close friend.

Then I noticed that I was taking them off after 30-90 minutes of listening, and preferred my speakers. Headphone fatigue. As I have continued listening, I have become more aware that the highs are shrill, nearly painful. This is on fairly low volume.
Right now my system is Lossless > Sonos > NAD C372 > Grado 125.
Is this a known issue with Grado 125? Or is it my other components?
I have been researching DACs, and I am on cusp of ordering DacMagic. Will that smooth out the highs?
Or is it the NAD headphone out?
Or is it the cans?
Your thoughts appreciated.

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 14
Try the MS1i, fantastic sound.

They are based on the SR125 drivers but don't sound like you described. They don't sound much different than the MS1 (non-i) which were based on the SR80 drivers I think?

They are a real bargain at $109 USD free shipping.

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktsai1283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a common complaint of the SR125 and is a major reason why they aren't as popular around here as the other headphones in Grado's lineup.

Really? I searched thru Head-Fi before buying, and I didn't find much discussion of this issue. Stereophile recommended, etc. But maybe I just didn't notice these comments. I am thinking of trying not just the DACmagic upgrade, but also a pair of closed cans (for work and travel).

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My DT770s are like that. I tame them by putting my Audio-gd Compass in "Soft 2" mode which really tones down the high-end.

I would recommend getting some of the less harsh-sounding Grados or Alessandros if it is really a problem.

In fact, I am thinking about getting closed cans for silence at work, commuting, etc. The DT770s seem very well regarded among closed cans. But I don't want another set of cans with the same fatigue problem. Would you buy your DT770s again if you had it to do over and needed closed cans?

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adreneline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the MS1i, fantastic sound.

They are based on the SR125 drivers but don't sound like you described. They don't sound much different than the MS1 (non-i) which were based on the SR80 drivers I think?

They are a real bargain at $109 USD free shipping.

Your comments about the MS1i echoes what many said in this site before I bought the SR125s, ie, that many like the sound of the SR125 drivers. Personally, I am still hopeful that adding a good dac to my system will mellow out the high end somewhat.

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #8 of 14
Grado's are traditionally 'bright' headphones, and can cause fatigue. It is also possible your playing too loud - its not uncommon - the typical sign is that your ears fatigue after an hour or so!
Cheapest way forward, turn the volume way way way down - you should be able to have a conversation with someone whilst wearing the cans (i.e. the sound of the other persons voice can be heard through the music). Let your ears adjust to the volume.

Aug 2, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #9 of 14
x2

If the SR125 is too bright, maybe the Grado sound is not for you. Every Grado I have has a bright high end.

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #10 of 14
I find my SR125 "bright" but not fatiguing in the least. Check my profile for my equipment -- I'm not sure it's the headphones that are your problem. Might be, just not certain.

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find my SR125 "bright" but not fatiguing in the least. Check my profile for my equipment -- I'm not sure it's the headphones that are your problem. Might be, just not certain.

I checked your equipment and expected to see a DAC, since I had been pinning my hopes on theory that perhaps it is the DAC in the Sonos which is to fault, and that getting an outboard DAC (considering DacMagic) would fix the problem. But I don't see a DAC in your equipment list. You are using an integrated amp, as am I. Hmmm. Maybe it is the cans after all.
Anyway, thanks for adding your experience.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #12 of 14
I thought my SR225s were like that, till I damped them with blu-tack (see my sig for the link to the thread...the original was with dynamat xtreme, but blu-tack works and is cheaper). Absolute night and day (EDIT: to my ears, that is...YMMV)--high range much more listenable, not fatiguing at all, better all-around sound signature. I'd say it gives it a slightly more mature if vaguely less exciting sound.

All with a $2 pack of blu-tack (well, handi-tack) and a hairdryer.

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #13 of 14
I think 125s are an excellent headphone but there is a slight tendency to brightness on some material. I find the upper end Grados don't have this problem, but I use 125s for monitoring my two track recordings where they work really well, outside of the expected comb filtering issues.

I think the headphone amp and associated equipment makes a difference here as well.

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by leichnitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I checked your equipment and expected to see a DAC, since I had been pinning my hopes on theory that perhaps it is the DAC in the Sonos which is to fault, and that getting an outboard DAC (considering DacMagic) would fix the problem. But I don't see a DAC in your equipment list. You are using an integrated amp, as am I. Hmmm. Maybe it is the cans after all.
Anyway, thanks for adding your experience.

I am no expert on this by any means, but it would seem unlikely to me that it's the DAC (I'd be more inclined to the theory that the headphones are just too bright for your ears -- I think many people experience Grados that way). Anyway, just to be clear, the Onkyo DX-7555 has a supposedly high-quality 192 kHz/24-bit Wolfson DAC, but you're right that I do not have an outboard DAC. Sorry you are having this problem! You may just be a Sennheiser guy.
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back