Grace m903 report with HD800, LCD-2, LCD-3, T5P.
Aug 19, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #76 of 123
Quote:
Orthos need LOADS of current to sound their best. The HD800 is probably the VERY pickiest headphone on the planet when it comes to finding a synergistic match-and an amp that can control it's wild impedance swings. Also, years and years of reading and experimenting with this stuff myself-rather than relying on brand name alone. Grace was one of a few major players in the headphone game when it's M902 was king-now there's a TON of players that deserve recognition. Not just the Dac1 vs m902 anymore thank heavens...

-Daniel

Fair enough. I've just never heard of these other companies because they're not making recording studio stuff as well, although if they are really that good at what they do then they probably should be.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #77 of 123
Lol M903 must be reallllly distorting the sound if one can't hear the improvement between LCD-2/3 (well which is better is subjective of course). Any difference between ss-amps I've heard is much more neglible if nonexistent so uh good luck with the Burson. Peer pressure is a wonderful thing. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #78 of 123
Quote:
Lol M903 must be reallllly distorting the sound if one can't hear the improvement between LCD-2/3 (well which is better is subjective of course). Any difference between ss-amps I've heard is much more neglible if nonexistent so uh good luck with the Burson. Peer pressure is a wonderful thing. 
biggrin.gif

God damn this forum pisses me off sometimes - it's all one big chest puffing contest.

The m903 is most certainly not distorting the sound. If you've never heard it, then don't speak about it.

My whole point about the LCD 2 & 3 was that which is better for the Grace is subjective - and therefore a $1k price increase isn't worth it. But thank you for agreeing with me.

Lastly, I haven't been peer pressured into anything. I've received advice and followed through with my research on that advice.

You, on the other hand, have been completely unhelpful and patronizing.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #79 of 123
Lol M903 must be reallllly distorting the sound if one can't hear the improvement between LCD-2/3 (well which is better is subjective of course). Any difference between ss-amps I've heard is much more neglible if nonexistent so uh good luck with the Burson. Peer pressure is a wonderful thing. :D

Umm no, and no, not all SS amps are created equal, and not to mention, lcd-2 and lcd-3 he heard might not be burnt in. Also the differences can vary from person to person,for some. Its more obvious for others its subtle.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #81 of 123
When does the Burson arrive? Also-how much power is the m903 putting into 50 ohms for those Audezes? And ignore hekeli-he obviously hasn't done his research if he doesn't even know that the Conductor/Soloist is one of the few amps at their price points to pair well with both the HD800s and Audezes. There are many reports here of the synergy of those combos-not a lot of amps can claim that at their respective prices.

-Daniel

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #82 of 123
Quote:

God damn this forum pisses me off sometimes - it's all one big chest puffing contest.

The m903 is most certainly not distorting the sound. If you've never heard it, then don't speak about it.

My whole point about the LCD 2 & 3 was that which is better for the Grace is subjective - and therefore a $1k price increase isn't worth it. But thank you for agreeing with me.

Lastly, I haven't been peer pressured into anything. I've received advice and followed through with my research on that advice.

You, on the other hand, have been completely unhelpful and patronizing.

I guess you didn't get my sarcasm, even though you yourself even "dissed" the way things work here. 
rolleyes.gif

But yeah whatever, my enthusiastic days here are pretty much over, I probably shouldn't even do bored comments anymore.. (well maybe still in the Realiser threads, since that's actually one of the more versatile and useful gear around).

If you want me to clarify: I've tried most of the flagships around, with a decend handful of most popular (mid)range ss-amps and dacs. The differences have always been neglible compared to changing headphones around. And then we have these threads where someone doesn't like X, answer is always change the amp to Y with some techno babble that Z needs more rice and potatoes to get to "full potential".. (I mean how much of the stuff can you actually eat at once?).

beerchug.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #84 of 123
Quote:
Also-how much power is the m903 putting into 50 ohms for those Audezes? And ignore hekeli-he obviously hasn't done his research if he doesn't even know that the Conductor/Soloist is one of the few amps at their price points to pair well with both the HD800s and Audezes. There are many reports here of the synergy of those combos-not a lot of amps can claim that at their respective prices.

So you dissed M903 and don't even know it's specs? How is research/reports == experience? Goes to show how things work here..

For the record, I tried Soloist for days with my HD800's. Sorry I found nothing worth the money against my G109 (which I have compared to O2, V200 etc). You can debate about the last 5% all day, but I'd still probably pay (again) the $1k extra for LCD-3's over 2's given any of the equipment I had which made little difference.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #85 of 123
No further impressions yet. Everything is pretty much still at the same status. The Burson will arrive tomorrow. I've put aside the HD800 until it comes. I've been A/B'ing with the LCD-2/3 and still just being mostly unimpressed by the difference, but still enjoying the sound of both from the Grace very much. Of the small amount of actual work I've done in the last couple of days I've instinctively reached for the T5P first - believing it to be the most intimate and natural sounding, despite not having the 'open' feeling. None of them really feel 'open' anyway when switching from monitors to headphones.

The AKG k702 and AKG k550 are in boxes to be shipped back today. I don't think there's a chance for either of them, so I won't even bother to finish the testing with them.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #86 of 123
Quote:
I'd still probably pay (again) the $1k extra for LCD-3's over 2's given any of the equipment I had which made little difference.

That's your prerogative. For me, I will use this to be mixing music in a mobile setup. I would never ever finalize a mix only using headphones - even the best headphones in the world - so the last 5% is not worth the money. If this is your only way to listen to music, then I can see maybe paying $1k for 5%, but the problem is that I'd argue that the 5% is more like 0.01% and mathematically, with distortion rates, noise, frequency range, etc. 0.01% is closer to correct anyway.

That being said, things may change for me when I try out the Burson, but according to you...they won't.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #87 of 123
Quote:
No further impressions yet. Everything is pretty much still at the same status. The Burson will arrive tomorrow. I've put aside the HD800 until it comes. I've been A/B'ing with the LCD-2/3 and still just being mostly unimpressed by the difference, but still enjoying the sound of both from the Grace very much. Of the small amount of actual work I've done in the last couple of days I've instinctively reached for the T5P first - believing it to be the most intimate and natural sounding, despite not having the 'open' feeling. None of them really feel 'open' anyway when switching from monitors to headphones.

The AKG k702 and AKG k550 are in boxes to be shipped back today. I don't think there's a chance for either of them, so I won't even bother to finish the testing with them.

I'm going to plug the m903/HE500 synergy again. Really worth auditioning if you have the time to get it in from Amazon.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #88 of 123
Quote:
None of them really feel 'open' anyway when switching from monitors to headphones.

I'd actually honestly suggest you look at Smyth Realiser. Even though the price is steep, you will get that portable setup with the _exact_ sound and openess of your monitors. Slightly depending on what headphones you choose (atleast Stax, LCD-3 etc work great - but that's already the last 5% stuff, most get to 95% with the manual tuning routines etc).

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #89 of 123
Quote:

That's your prerogative. For me, I will use this to be mixing music in a mobile setup. I would never ever finalize a mix only using headphones - even the best headphones in the world - so the last 5% is not worth the money. If this is your only way to listen to music, then I can see maybe paying $1k for 5%, but the problem is that I'd argue that the 5% is more like 0.01% and mathematically, with distortion rates, noise, frequency range, etc. 0.01% is closer to correct anyway.

That being said, things may change for me when I try out the Burson, but according to you...they won't.

If anything, the LCD difference to me was more like 30% (noticeably more airy, natural etc - of course there could be even slight manufacturing differences and other people have had veiled pairs etc - both of these were RMAd). 5% is the difference I've found between amps/dacs (you really need to struggle to hear the differences - of course level matched etc and not "just listening" mental bull****).

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #90 of 123
Quote:
I'd actually honestly suggest you look at Smyth Realiser. Even though the price is steep, you will get that portable setup with the _exact_ sound and openess of your monitors. Slightly depending on what headphones you choose (atleast Stax, LCD-3 etc work great).

That seems like way too much processing. I'd rather have headphones just be headphones and monitors just be monitors, especially since people will listen to music on normal headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back