Grace M902 vs Lisa III
Oct 23, 2007 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Audio-Fi

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone has Lisa III and Grace M902 to compare? I have M902 and just wondering which one is best for my listening. The source is Sony SCD-XA9000ES . Headphone is going to be MDR-R10.

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 21
If I were right, M902 has BB2134 while Lisa iii has AD744.
Considering your current listening as main genres, M902 should be a match. Lisa iii is a nice amp with big sound which can add strong impact and dynamic to your listening e.g. Rock.

Oct 23, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 21
I have the Grace m902 and R10. The m902's digital volume control is why I still keep it.

Plus, Grace m902 is a professional headphone monitoring amp meant for being used in a recording studio, should be an obvious pick for you, Audio-Fi.
wink.gif

-Ed

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 21
So basically you guys are saying that M902 is better than Lisa III?

Oct 23, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So basically you guys are saying that M902 is better than Lisa III?

Depends by what you mean by "better" if "better" means better build quality, materials, features, and components. Then yes, the Grace m902 is better. The Lisa III isn't even on the same playing field. I would pick the Grace m902 over the Lisa III in a second without even listening to them with just a peek at what's under the hood. Based on the features alone, the Grace m902 has the Lisa III beat, but we're talking apples to oranges here.

That said, sound quality is a subjective thing, but one thing's for sure, the crappy alps pot that's in the Lisa III, doesn't cut the mustard for me. But the Lisa III is a portable battery powered amp. The Grace m902 is a reference studio headphone monitor amp. You're comparing an iPod to a desktop computer with a professional recording studio level soundcard in it.

-Ed

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 21
No offense to either the m902 or the Lisa III, but this is the first line of your sig:

High-End Listening:MDR-R10, Qualia 010, RS1, HD-580

You need to consider some more high-end amps to go with your high-end cans. Just a thought, but there are so many amps to consider that I am unclear why you want to limit your R10s and Qualias with those two [mid-fi] amps?

Oct 24, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense to either the m902 or the Lisa III, but this is the first line of your sig:

High-End Listening:MDR-R10, Qualia 010, RS1, HD-580

You need to consider some more high-end amps to go with your high-end cans. Just a thought, but there are so many amps to consider that I am unclear why you want to limit your R10s and Qualias with those two [mid-fi] amps?

I have EARMAX Pro but I don't like their sound signature. I do prefer the Grace M902 over it. I don't know what consider as a "high-end" amplifier but look into my profile.

Oct 24, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have EARMAX Pro but I don't like their sound signature. I do prefer the Grace M902 over it. I don't know what consider as a "high-end" amplifier but look into my profile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must only consider amps that cost a minimum of $3000 then. And it must weigh at least 20 lbs. Heavier is better.

-Ed

Alright, guys, you don't have to take what I said to the extreme, especially Ed who started the responses by saying the Lisa isn't even on the same playing field as the m902. I didn't say there was a minimum price to spend or a minimum weight class. And I freely admit I don't know much of anything about you, Audio-Fi except what is in your sig and the specific question you posed about Lisa III vs. m902. I didn't read your profile because you talked about owning the m902 and comparing it to a single alternative so I made the point that your very expensive cans would justify consideration of some better amp choices.

To my ears, I would not put the EarMax or the Balanced Desktop as choices for the R10 or Qualia based upon listening to those headphones a number of times but never owning them. Both of those amps and the others you own are great amps and do certain things well. Most people really like the RS-1 with the EMP and the BD is also very good with HD650s or K701s or other balanced options, but I have not heard the R10 or Qualia driven really well by anything but a few amps. They aren't all super expensive, either. The Eddie Current Zana Deux or newer HD2 would be great for under that $3K mark. The SinglePower Extreme Platinum (a la Boomana) would be another great choice for around $2K. Possibly the HeadAmp GS-X or a well-rendered Beta22 but I don't have the experience. Many others could be included.

The best I have heard either R10s or Qualias was out of the RSA B52 and the SinglePower SDS-XLR or Supra or Maestro. The best I can remember with the RS-1 is the Zana Deux and another prototype of Craig Uthus's but I am not sure he is making it.

Lots of choices, which was my point given that you have cans for "High-End Listening" that deserve, IMHO only, even better amplification than you posited in the thread. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #10 of 21
All of us can offer our opinions on which amp - M902 or LISA III in terms of look, features, or external build quality. But if your interests are about sonic differences or impressions then I think you need input from those who have spent extended time on both, and responses so far do not seem to reflect this.

I own a LISA III XP with LLP but does not have a M902, so I can't really compare, though I like how the LISA III XP sounds very much, but none of my headphones are from Sony.

F. Lo

Oct 25, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 21
New Member here!

Just saw this thread.

All i can say about the M902 after having it a year,
its a great piece of audio gear that i won't get rid of,
but i want something better as a headphone amp. (any suggestions)

Given the great cans you have, you should be looking at much higher
end amps.

Oct 26, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 21
Can someone recommend me these "higher-end" amps.

Oct 26, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends by what you mean by "better" if "better" means better build quality, materials, features, and components. Then yes, the Grace m902 is better. The Lisa III isn't even on the same playing field. I would pick the Grace m902 over the Lisa III in a second without even listening to them with just a peek at what's under the hood. Based on the features alone, the Grace m902 has the Lisa III beat, but we're talking apples to oranges here.

That said, sound quality is a subjective thing, but one thing's for sure, the crappy alps pot that's in the Lisa III, doesn't cut the mustard for me. But the Lisa III is a portable battery powered amp. The Grace m902 is a reference studio headphone monitor amp. You're comparing an iPod to a desktop computer with a professional recording studio level soundcard in it.

-Ed

Ed don't make opinions or assumptions based on things you haven't heard. He simply asked if anyone has made a direct comparison of the two.

Nov 2, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #14 of 21
I just acquired a Grace M902 and it is now on the way to me.

Unfortunately as I will be tavelling I won't be able to get it setup until mid-November. Once this is done I will be able to do a comparison between the M902 and LISA III XP w LLP.

It is going to be an interesting comparison because the M902 with remote control is twice as expensive as the LISA III XP + LLP combo. I wonder it is twice as good but we will see.

I will report back by end of the month.

F. Lo

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreme4099 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ed don't make opinions or assumptions based on things you haven't heard. He simply asked if anyone has made a direct comparison of the two.

I can see what kind of potentiometer that is used in the Lisa.
rolleyes.gif

And just by seeing what the power source is for the Lisa (two 9V batteries) and knowing the specs of the Grace m902 (higher voltage and current output) it doesn't take rocket science (but it does take a little bit of electrical knowledge) to know that comparing a battery powered amp with a high powered mains amp is indeed comparing Apples to Oranges.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back