Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Feb 2, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #1,951 of 2,153
Hi guys. Hoping for some insights. 

I have an old NuForce Icon HDP. Does anyone know how this Grace compares to it (performance)? I know the Grace doesn't have analog inputs like the NuForce does, but I'm wondering what kind of audio experience I might get from the Grace in comparison. I got the Icon for a similar price many years ago and it's served me well, but I'm always looking to upgrade if the value proposition is there. Any insights or experiences from others who may have made the jump would be great.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #1,953 of 2,153
I have a lot to say, but this is the DAC that persuaded me that the O2/ODAC is not everything. While the O2/ODAC is IMO the best in the entry-level range, the O2 can clip a lot and the ODAC is far from being the cleanest source. Each and every 1 of my 3 (sold) ODACS also had a strange problems, giving popping/crackling noise each time I change the song on Foobar no matter how I set the buffer.

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #1,954 of 2,153
Pulled the trigger on the current drop, 5 days left. I'm glad it happened, as attempts to buy a used one has been frustrating (people say they want best offer, then hold out for the same price as Massdrop, which turns out to be more with PayPal/shipping fees).

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #1,958 of 2,153
Mine arrive today at work, and I hooked it up. I didn't download or install drivers yet, but it was recognized and plays. However, pressing and holding the top volume knob for 2 seconds does not give me the setup menu.Perhaps I need the install for that, but I don't have time to get the admin pword for my work machine to do that yet.

For the time being it's going to be used at home until the ifi Pro iDSD comes out.

Anyway, it sounds excellent a step up from my venerable Meier Cantante, more detail, less noise (I notice a slight hiss on the old amp with my NAD HP 50, though not with the Denon AH-D2000).

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #1,959 of 2,153
Grats on the m9xx! You should be able to enter the setup menu without installing any drivers. When you press on the knob, try to press in the middle of it with a firm press. Should be a noticeable click. If you press and release, the display should glow and the audio should mute. 
When connecting an external amp via the RCA outs, set the volume to "90" for the lowest noise and highest dynamic range if you are using the volume control on your amp. Short, high quality RCA cables are recommended. 

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #1,960 of 2,153
I have encountered a problem and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this or at least could point me in the right direction on how to fix it. I'm not very "audio" savy so sorry if this a stupid question with an easy fix.

I use foobar to play music on my computer and for the most part that runs fine. However, I noticed that if I watch a Youtube video or stream music, something like soundcloud or whatever it may be, on my web browser then go back to foobar to play music the audio starts clipping. Right now the only way to stop the clipping is if I unplug the USB cable from the m9xx then reconnect, or if I disable the m9xx as the playback device then re-enable it with windows audio/sound manager. After that everything plays fine UNTIL I go back to my browser to play any YT video or stream music, from there, any song I play with foobar will start clipping again. The audio plays fine on the browser, but whenever I switch back to play on song on my computer with foobar the clipping reappears.

I want to add that I never experienced this when I was on Windows 7, this only started happening when I upgraded my OS to Windows 10. For the last few months I have put up with it but now its really starting to get on my nerves. I tried searching online and here for possible answers but can't seem to find anything about this problem, maybe I'm using the wrong terms? I have tried using ASIO drivers with foobar but that causes even more problems as it seems that any adjustments made to the equalizer will introduce even more clipping regardless.

I really like foobar and want to keep using it, but how can I fix this? Should I use another audio player? I haven't noticed this problem with VLC, but I'd rather use VLC for videos only.

Feb 16, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #1,961 of 2,153
  I have encountered a problem and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this or at least could point me in the right direction on how to fix it. I'm not very "audio" savy so sorry if this a stupid question with an easy fix.

I use foobar to play music on my computer and for the most part that runs fine. However, I noticed that if I watch a Youtube video or stream music, something like soundcloud or whatever it may be, on my web browser then go back to foobar to play music the audio starts clipping. Right now the only way to stop the clipping is if I unplug the USB cable from the m9xx then reconnect, or if I disable the m9xx as the playback device then re-enable it with windows audio/sound manager. After that everything plays fine UNTIL I go back to my browser to play any YT video or stream music, from there, any song I play with foobar will start clipping again. The audio plays fine on the browser, but whenever I switch back to play on song on my computer with foobar the clipping reappears.

I want to add that I never experienced this when I was on Windows 7, this only started happening when I upgraded my OS to Windows 10. For the last few months I have put up with it but now its really starting to get on my nerves. I tried searching online and here for possible answers but can't seem to find anything about this problem, maybe I'm using the wrong terms? I have tried using ASIO drivers with foobar but that causes even more problems as it seems that any adjustments made to the equalizer will introduce even more clipping regardless.

I really like foobar and want to keep using it, but how can I fix this? Should I use another audio player? I haven't noticed this problem with VLC, but I'd rather use VLC for videos only.

This link might help solve your issue.  Grace Design encountered an issue which the newest version of Windows 10.  See details in the following link:

http://www.gracedesign.com/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/9/windows-10-anniversary-update#latest

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #1,963 of 2,153
  I replied to this on the Massdrop thread. Seems like the distortion is caused by boosting the lows using an EQ. Shouldn't be related to the Windows 10 driver issue. 

Hey thanks for your help on there. My thing is, why is it that the issue only happens after I stream a video or song online, and never at any other time. Also, how come I never experienced anything like this on Windows 7? Only on Windows 10.

I'm not questioning your knowledge on the subject because without a doubt you know a lot more than I do, but I just don't understand how the EQ is the problem when I never experience any clipping issues at any other time.

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #1,964 of 2,153
Hard to tell what is causing the problem without being at your setup. If you disable the EQ, does it still have distortion after playing audio through the browser? Is your m9xx in U1 or U2 mode? Are you using the directsound output or ASIO/WASAPI output in foobar?

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #1,965 of 2,153
Any good USB cable recommendation? Want to buy a shorter cable than 3ft. I've tried other USB cables that I have from other devices(phones), but they all have issues in connection - popping sound caused by signal interruption. It seems m9xx is a little picky on the cable.

In addition, it would be better if the cable contain ON/OFF switch!

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back