Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
May 15, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #1,426 of 2,153
Thanks. I knew about the bitrate part but not FS. Shud hve read the manual

Any guesses on what FS stands for?

FS = Sampling Frequency?

[Edit]
In technical documentation, the sampling frequency is commonly abbreviated as FS.
However, since the display on the m9xx does not support subscript, it would of course just be FS instead.
I'm as sure as I can be without knowing anything for certain that this is the correct answer :wink:

May 15, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #1,427 of 2,153
Thanks. I knew about the bitrate part but not FS. Shud hve read the manual

Any guesses on what FS stands for?

A guess, but Frequency Sample rate?

May 30, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #1,434 of 2,153
Jun 3, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #1,435 of 2,153
How would i connect the m9xx and a pair of emotiva airmotiv 5s along with my svs sb1000 sub?My current speakers have L/R rca inputs,but the emotiva has one single ended RCA?The sub has rca outs and rca ins.Not sure how the whole cabling will go.

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #1,437 of 2,153
  How would i connect the m9xx and a pair of emotiva airmotiv 5s along with my svs sb1000 sub?My current speakers have L/R rca inputs,but the emotiva has one single ended RCA?The sub has rca outs and rca ins.Not sure how the whole cabling will go.

Do you run the speakers from the output on the sub so that you can (I think) use the internal crossover in the sub? That is the way I would do it.  If so, go from the outputs on the M 9xx to the sub, and out of the sub to your speakers.
That would be the easy, and probably best way. You could also get a set of "Y" cables. Single RCA male to dual RCA female plugs. Then run cables to the sub and speakers from there. You will not have a high pass crossover for the speakers. This can lead to some wonky response in the low frequencies where the speakers and sub overlap.

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #1,438 of 2,153
Do you run the speakers from the output on the sub so that you can (I think) use the internal crossover in the sub? That is the way I would do it.  If so, go from the outputs on the M 9xx to the sub, and out of the sub to your speakers.
That would be the easy, and probably best way. You could also get a set of "Y" cables. Single RCA male to dual RCA female plugs. Then run cables to the sub and speakers from there. You will not have a high pass crossover for the speakers. This can lead to some wonky response in the low frequencies where the speakers and sub overlap.
Well, i thought it would be like this too. Right now, i have a 3.5mm to rca out from the fiio e10k line out to the rca in on the sub, and rca in from speakers to the rca out on the sub. But the rca's are on the left speaker only, not like the 5s on both speakers.So on the m9xx it will be rca out to rca in to the sub, and rca out to the left and right 5s speakers, left and right jacks respectively?

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #1,439 of 2,153
Well, i thought it would be like this too. Right now, i have a 3.5mm to rca out from the fiio e10k line out to the rca in on the sub, and rca in from speakers to the rca out on the sub. But the rca's are on the left speaker only, not like the 5s on both speakers.So on the m9xx it will be rca out to rca in to the sub, and rca out (on the sub) to the left and right 5s speakers, left and right (in) jacks respectively?

You have a left and right IN and OUT on the sub. Why not use the outs to drive both speakers.

So yes to the last bit above.

Jun 3, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #1,440 of 2,153
Ok so I have been doing some listening with them m9XX. I was comparing the USB versus the toss link input and the RCA output as a DAC only use. For comparison I was using my auto BD 105D as another source. For an amplifier, I am using Ragnarok into a balanced set of HD700 headphones.

So signal chain is either BD 105 balanced or MacMini Toslink m9xx or MacMini USB Wyrd m9xx to Ragnarok balanced to HD700.

On the Mac Mini I am using Audirvana 2.5 in direct mode. I tried both with upsampling internet mode and off. Most of my music is ripped Redbook lossless. I do have some HD files but only a few.

What I have found is that the m9xx and the Oppo sound quite different. I was not expecting that much difference. The soundstage, Vocals, high frequencies sounded the most different. The BP 105 seemed more vocal ford wow I thought the M9X ex had better soundstage and high-frequency. What I was surprised by was that I preferred the optical out of my mac mini with no up-sampling. In reality, I could not hear a huge difference upsampled or not via the optical.

I heard a bigger difference with the optical out versus the USB. Mostly the difference was in sound stage width and depth. As well as separation around vocals and instruments. Has anybody else tried optical versus USB? What is been your observations?

By the way, I purpose built my Mac Mini with 8 gigs of RAM And is decently fast SSD. It is only running the audio software, nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back