Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Nov 4, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #346 of 2,153
I think you are over analyzing this too much because I am pretty sure, if you stay on this board, you'll be trading your desktop amp/DAC in a not so distant future unless you're the type of person who can stop soon after that purchase. If you are that kind of person then I would understand your hesitation. I find the best way to approach a purchase and that's just my opinion is to make a list of the features you want in a desktop amp/DAC including the price. You do have to be reasonable. Then mark the list if you hit the features and buy, else pass. If you can't stop at buying a unit then just pick any, you'll sure trade it quickly down the road. If you do get a draw then flip a coin. :wink:

If it's features, the iDSD has the m9xx pretty much licked. But my decision is more practical. I can't get the darn thing for less than 500 over here. 

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #347 of 2,153
If it's features, the iDSD has the m9xx pretty much licked. But my decision is more practical. I can't get the darn thing for less than 500 over here. 

Yeah I understand price can be a big deferent but if you value your unit and think you'll keep it for a while then it's not so bad, over a certain number of years the price of ownership goes down it's like owning a car for a long period of time. :wink:

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #348 of 2,153
Yeah I understand price can be a big deferent but if you value your unit and think you'll keep it for a while then it's not so bad, over a certain number of years the price of ownership goes down it's like owning a car for a long period of time.
wink.gif

My last sub-500 dollar dac/amp for a long time to come. I'm going to break for 3 years at least so I definitely wanna get this right. Plus it's ridiculously hard to sell used audio here.

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #349 of 2,153
My last sub-500 dollar dac/amp for a long time to come. I'm going to break for 3 years at least so I definitely wanna get this right. Plus it's ridiculously hard to sell used audio here.

Yes and it's also like cars, as soon as it gets out of the car lot you're loosing 30% off retail. Electronics depreciate quit fast, this unit few years from now will be fetching sub 400$ and most likely less, they just do not retain their full value for long.

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #350 of 2,153
Yes and it's also like cars, as soon as it gets out of the car lot you're loosing 30% off retail. Electronics depreciate quit fast, this unit few years from now will be fetching sub 400$ and most likely less, they just do not retain their full value for long.

Yeah. But for some reason I feel like if I don't get the m9xx, I'd be missing out on something rather special.

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #351 of 2,153
Yeah. But for some reason I feel like if I don't get the m9xx, I'd be missing out on something rather special.

Be careful about the missing part, it's set like an auction and the reason why people push the price up is because of the word "missing". I can safely say that the electronic world will be filled with lots of those don't miss this opportunity devices. You should base your selection on needs, it's less timely but more economical in the long run. Leave the special for some rainy days. :wink:

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #352 of 2,153
Be careful about the missing part, it's set like an auction and the reason why people push the price up is because of the word "missing". I can safely say that the electronic world will be filled with lots of those don't miss this opportunity devices. You should base your selection on needs, it's less timely but more economical in the long run. Leave the special for some rainy days.
wink.gif

Lol. decisions decisions. 

Nov 4, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #353 of 2,153
God I hate trying to research stuff on the net. So here is what I found out about the iDSD micro.

Some people think it's the best thing under the sun, going toe to toe against the Hugo, m920 (according to one guy, he sold his m920 upon owning the micro) and destroys the Geek Out 1000 (I think the GO1K is pretty overrated at this point).

Then there are those who think it has poor amp, or poor dac. Really all over the place. One guy prefers the iBasso DX90 over the micro, then another guy says the micro destroys the DX90. Lol. 

Nov 4, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #354 of 2,153
You can't stress yourself out so much over stuff like this. Like musicheaven said, you buy a piece of equipment, and within a couple of years you'll eventually move on. I understand you want to save your money and "get it right" for the next few years, so just buy what will make you happy. Because ultimately, that's what matters - if item A is better specced than item B, but you'll be more happy with item B, it doesn't matter HOW much better item A is specced. Item B is ultimately going to make you happiest. 

That said, I went YOLO, took the risk, and joined the massdrop for the m9xx. I'm fine being a guinea pig, and I'll be more than happy to post impressions when I get the item. 

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #355 of 2,153
God I hate trying to research stuff on the net. So here is what I found out about the iDSD micro.

Some people think it's the best thing under the sun, going toe to toe against the Hugo, m920 (according to one guy, he sold his m920 upon owning the micro) and destroys the Geek Out 1000 (I think the GO1K is pretty overrated at this point).

Then there are those who think it has poor amp, or poor dac. Really all over the place. One guy prefers the iBasso DX90 over the micro, then another guy says the micro destroys the DX90. Lol. 

It's because these are opinions.

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #358 of 2,153
Sound perception will never be concrete.

I mean as concrete as can be expected. Which in some case is better than others. This is the other. It doesn't look like people can agree on anything so far as the iFi goes. Some say tube like sound, others say it's a departure from tube sound, some say DAC is incredible (DACs) but another says that it's lacking. Amplifier is excellent - No, it is not good as a dedicated amplifier. It destroys X, no X destroys it. But fear not, I am collecting more useless information! 

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #359 of 2,153

Ditto!

After reading reviews about the iDSD, the low volume imbalance issues is a put off for me. For a $500 device I think they need to have a better volume pot implementation.

I've decided to stop reading reviews because its consuming too much of my time. I will get the m9xx and cherish it. It will be my first and last mid-fi device purchase.

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #360 of 2,153
Also posted on the Massdrop site:  This may be a long shot but has anyone who has listened to m9xx also heard the Geek Pulse? I have the vanilla Geek Pulse and am debating if m9xx device is the same or worse/better. I like the smaller form factor for my bedside listening over the size of the Geek Pulse but would be disappointed if I spend $500 on a device that is the same or worse than the Geek Pulse DAC/AMP quality. I am not using an external amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back