Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Nov 4, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #376 of 2,153
But here is another reason why I'm on the fence still; Massdrop has never screwed up with an exclusive drop. The Ei.XX, K7XX, K553PRO, O2/ODAC - all have been highly successful drops with a healthy following from the audiophile community. I'm sure the odds are in Massdrop's favor with the m9XX as well. 

Maybe I'll be on the prowl for a used unit here soon after the first drop. There has to be a few people who'd go "meh".

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #377 of 2,153
I was hoping for comparisons by different people, not just one person. Of course no one would have all those. Although I did see one person's gear list and it did have most of those. Lol. Anyway, yes, it could lead to confusion, but it could also lead to a better picture of what the device is like. There is an approach in science wherein many indirect evidences can be used to prove a theory in the same way as a single strong evidence. So many impressions can still give an overall picture, when you learn to pick out the irregulars and the regulars. But in order for that to happen, I need to see more than 3 initial impressions or reviews. I'd like to see at least 3 more reviews here on Hfi, and a few professional reviews done by other websites.   

It only takes one negative experiment to disprove a theory but takes countless positive ones to do the opposite, I hope I am not confusing you. :wink:

Because you're looking at few reviewers with pre production units, those people were picked for their flair at evaluating new offerings. Statically speaking, I on the other end prefer diversity and a higher reviewer population. The average of that group has a better chance of being right than a handful. If you adhere to this philosophy, you have no other choice than waiting until it gets into more people' hands. So waiting seems to be a better bet however if you are sure that's what you want then your only concerns should be sound quality, features and durability. If you can determine those 3 then you're good to go. Although having choices is great, it has the disadvantage of making you hesitate so a drop is a tool to make you pick rather quickly and be outside of that thinking zone. Call it a marketing trick, it certainly works. :wink:

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #378 of 2,153
It only takes one negative experiment to disprove a theory but takes countless positive ones to do the opposite, I hope I am not confusing you.
wink.gif

Because you're looking at few reviewers with pre production units, those people were picked for their flair at evaluating new offerings. Statically speaking, I on the other end prefer diversity and a higher reviewer population. The average of that group has a better chance of being right than a handful. If you adhere to this philosophy, you have no other choice than waiting until it gets into more people' hands. So waiting seems to be a better bet however if you are sure that's what you want then your only concerns should be sound quality, features and durability. If you can determine those 3 then you're good to go. Although having choices is great, it has the disadvantage of making you hesitate so a drop is a tool to make you pick rather quickly and be outside of that thinking zone. Call it a marketing trick, it certainly works.
wink.gif

I believe it's the opposite. It's not like trust. It's about percentages. So if 9/10 reviewers say that the m9XX is excellent, but 1/10 reviewer says that it's average, then chances are, you'd rate the item as a 9-10 so it would indeed be excellent, if not very good. Of course, this isn't what I strictly had in mind. What I mean is that if say 8 reviewers say that the m9XX sounds balanced with a hint of warmth, and suddenly one guy jumps out and says that it sounds cold and clinical, you need not take it too seriously because this opinion is of a minority. You cannot approach something like this with a theory, it's about seeing enough patterns in the reviews to draw a more solid conclusion. There isn't enough reviews it seems, although the trend is the at the build is excellent, and the feel is as well. The sound is neutral and accurate, but with a hint of refinement that allows for some musicality without being too analytical. Sound stage is good, but not necessarily expansive, and is generally powerful enough to drive most headphones. 

A note on the soundstage. I believe that sound stage and dimensions are a form of coloration, so an accurate DAC would probably not be too expansive. As is the case with the m9XX, but being a more consumer friendly product, is probably not without some coloration. Which would be a very good thing. I'm not looking to master or playback master recordings for the purpose of mastering. I'm looking to buy because I love music. 

The practical music lover in me is saying go for it. Based on reviews, data and Massdrop's fairly spotless track record, it's a safe bet. Also, there is no getting around the fact that the iFi iDSD is harder to get, and I can pretty much try and get a used one whenever I feel like it. Plus... 5 year warranty and Made in the USA. 

a bit over 24 hours to decide. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #379 of 2,153
I believe it's the opposite. It's not like trust. It's about percentages. So if 9/10 reviewers say that the m9XX is excellent, but 1/10 reviewer says that it's average, then chances are, you'd rate the item as a 9-10 so it would indeed be excellent, if not very good. Of course, this isn't what I strictly had in mind. What I mean is that if say 8 reviewers say that the m9XX sounds balanced with a hint of warmth, and suddenly one guy jumps out and says that it sounds cold and clinical, you need not take it too seriously because this opinion is of a minority. You cannot approach something like this with a theory, it's about seeing enough patterns in the reviews to draw a more solid conclusion. There isn't enough reviews it seems, although the trend is the at the build is excellent, and the feel is as well. The sound is neutral and accurate, but with a hint of refinement that allows for some musicality without being too analytical. Sound stage is good, but not necessarily expansive, and is generally powerful enough to drive most headphones. 

A note on the soundstage. I believe that sound stage and dimensions are a form of coloration, so an accurate DAC would probably not be too expansive. As is the case with the m9XX, but being a more consumer friendly product, is probably not without some coloration. Which would be a very good thing. I'm not looking to master or playback master recordings for the purpose of mastering. I'm looking to buy because I love music. 

The practical music lover in me is saying go for it. Based on reviews, data and Massdrop's fairly spotless track record, it's a safe bet. Also, there is no getting around the fact that the iFi iDSD is harder to get, and I can pretty much try and get a used one whenever I feel like it. Plus... 5 year warranty and Made in the USA. 

a bit over 24 hours to decide. 

I'd be wary about the law of the average, please search it on the net for an explanation. Massdrop could have extended that law and you'd be at a turning point. I'll leave it to you to conclude.

There is also the flip side of over analyzing. :)

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #380 of 2,153
I'd be wary about the law of the average, please search it on the net for an explanation. Massdrop could have extended that law and you'd be at a turning point. I'll leave it to you to conclude.

There is also the flip side of over analyzing.
smily_headphones1.gif

In the present circumstance, averaging is just about the best you can hope for. Nothing is a substitute for directly listening or trying out the item prior to purchase. If it did, we'd all have bought Beats by D by now. 

Law of average is just a law stating that whatever the average is, it will maintain itself. It's kinda my point actually. ANYWAY. 

It's not ideal. I get it. As I've explained, there isn't really any particular reason to be on the fence. Lack of review is the only reason. But money being the main factor, I might go for it because of the FTA tax benefits from buying American made. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #381 of 2,153
In the present circumstance, averaging is just about the best you can hope for. Nothing is a substitute for directly listening or trying out the item prior to purchase. If it did, we'd all have bought Beats by D by now. 

Law of average is just a law stating that whatever the average is, it will maintain itself. It's kinda my point actually. ANYWAY. 

It's not ideal. I get it. As I've explained, there isn't really any particular reason to be on the fence. Lack of review is the only reason. But money being the main factor, I might go for it because of the FTA tax benefits from buying American made. 

Don't worry about it, if the unit is well designed and solid, which is what Grace Design is known for, you'll find plenty of good reasons why you made the right decision. If you love music now, you surely will love listening to it through your headphone now. I have had a well designed and solid desktop amp fo so many years that I have never had an ounce of regret buying it although on purchase day I sweat the small stuff. Hence being indecisive is just a natural reaction.

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #387 of 2,153
I decided to join the drop. If it's better than the Meridian Director and Element combo, they will be sold. If not, it will be sold. Will be powering HE-400i and maybe HE-560(someday).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back