Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Oct 31, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #241 of 2,153
Poor guy. Got quite the workload there!

He's eager to help which is truly welcome and almost invariably no one reports on testing features announced on a kit so that would be truly helpful. Sound through headphones is great and we all want the best but how good is that if it can't hold tunes of different bit rates and does not play nice with other equipment. :)

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #242 of 2,153
He's eager to help which is truly welcome and almost invariably no one reports on testing features announced on a kit so that would be truly helpful. Sound through headphones is great and we all want the best but how good is that if it can't hold tunes of different bit rates and does not play nice with other equipment.
smily_headphones1.gif

I totally agree that reviews are only worth doing if they are thorough. Definitely looking forward to it and testing DSD support is definitely welcome. Afterall, DSD DAC/AMP combos start at the 200 dollar mark. But we're all here because we want to believe that the m9xx is worth the 300 extra. 

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #244 of 2,153
  Would love to know how this compares to the Audeze Deckard. Plan on getting that or the m9xx

I just checked it out. Hm. It seems to have a very potent amplifier section, and I do think it's a good purchase. Doesn't look like the DAC section is all that great though. PCM support is on par, but no DSD. Soundwise, being a class A amplifier, might be on the warm and colored side, with good power but need warming up. If you're comparing the Audeze to say, the Valhalla 2, then the Audeze is said to come out on top. It's a different kind of amplifier design however, so if you want a neutral, slightly musical but highly resolving amplifier and you have no intention of driving crazy high impedance cans through it, the m9xx will work. These two are very different in terms of power specs, as the Audeze is rated at 4W at 20 ohms, while the Grace Design is rated at 1W at 20 Ohms. Very different power. 

I'd say depends on what you already have, or your needs. If you have an excellent DAC already available, invest in a good amplifier. If the opposite is true, get a good dac. The m9xx is a great dac, and while the amplifier is good, has less power. 

200 dollars more for the Audeze. So they're not exactly priced to match. 

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #246 of 2,153
  So, anyone has an idea on m920 vs m9xx?
How much is m9XX behind m920 in SQ? 
Can m9XX achieve 85% of m920? 

Asked the same exact question. Apparently, nobody can actually say. First off, there aren't enough units in circulation, let alone units that have made it into the hands of those who have access to both devices. As far as I can tell, the Grace Design folks are careful with their quantification. They seem to want to imply that the m9xx is very very close to the m920, but have been careful not to say that the two are identical. Frankly, I don't see how it can be. The m9xx has a different DAC chip to begin with, so that alone will not yield identical performance as the original m920. 

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #247 of 2,153
Thanks, can't wait to see your impression. Please make sure you try different audio files including DSD.

Do you have a decent sound system you can connect the DAC to, to increase your review? How about trying all functions available from the unit?
beerchug.gif

Eh, may I ask why? I've already tested it with DSD, but it works, nothing really to report.

If you'd like to sponsor a decent sound system, hey, I'll take it. I'm a college student, so I don't have much money to spend myself. Look through Project's review for comparisons between the m9XX and higher-end DAC/amps. My review.... is pretty long as it is.

Although I won't be focusing on stuff like crossfeed (other reviews already talked enough about it), I will try to differentiate between the different DAC filters.

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #248 of 2,153
  Asked the same exact question. Apparently, nobody can actually say. First off, there aren't enough units in circulation, let alone units that have made it into the hands of those who have access to both devices. As far as I can tell, the Grace Design folks are careful with their quantification. They seem to want to imply that the m9xx is very very close to the m920, but have been careful not to say that the two are identical. Frankly, I don't see how it can be. The m9xx has a different DAC chip to begin with, so that alone will not yield identical performance as the original m920. 

In the Massdrop discussion, one of the Grace reps responded with: 

With total bias, but also deep understanding of how we design and build our equipment, the m9XX affords playback quality which approaches our $2k amp / DACs.

Of course, that doesn't really tell us how close the m9xx is to the other Grace products, and I'm not sure we can really put a % value on something like that. But I have a feeling it's going to be a very good value. 

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #249 of 2,153
Eh, may I ask why? I've already tested it with DSD, but it works, nothing really to report.

If you'd like to sponsor a decent sound system, hey, I'll take it. I'm a college student, so I don't have much money to spend myself. Look through Project's review for comparisons between the m9XX and higher-end DAC/amps. My review.... is pretty long as it is.

Although I won't be focusing on stuff like crossfeed (other reviews already talked enough about it), I will try to differentiate between the different DAC filters.

Thanks for any effort you're putting in your review and as far as sponsoring a decent system, I am afraid you'll have to earn it when your start on the road of your career. In the meantime, enlighten the audience with your analytical skills, that will go a long way to a prosperous career.

In the Massdrop description, one of the Grace reps responded with: 

Of course, that doesn't really tell us how close the m9xx is to the other Grace products, and I'm not sure we can really put a % value on something like that. But I have a feeling it's going to be a very good value. 

Grace Design has been in the business long enough catering to the pro folks which are tough customers to please and their team are top notch professionals so the statement does not surprise me. I have looked at their offering and the m920 unit is the one I was ready to pull the trigger on however my direction has changed since but rest assured they place the same design skills in this product compared to their mainstream, for them it's just another technical challenge. You can tell they are using their top notch components, the headphone connectors are exactly the same than their m920 model and that's just the outside.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #250 of 2,153
Thanks for any effort you're putting in your review and as far as sponsoring a decent system, I am afraid you'll have to earn it when your start on the road of your career. In the meantime, enlighten the audience with your analytical skills, that will go a long way to a prosperous career.
Grace Design has been in the business long enough catering to the pro folks which are tough customers to please and their team are top notch professionals so the statement does not surprise me. I have looked at their offering and the m920 unit is the one I was ready to pull the trigger on however my direction has changed since but rest assured they place the same design skills in this product compared to their mainstream, for them it's just another technical challenge. You can tell they are using their top notch components, the headphone connectors are exactly the same than their m920 model and that's just the outside.

Apart from the fact that the m920 and the m9xx use different DAC chips, doesn't the m920 implement an analog volume control, while the m9xx attenuates the volume digitally? Great if someone can confirm—and then, differences would be substantial, wouldn't they?

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #251 of 2,153

In the Massdrop description, one of the Grace reps responded with: 

To be fair, it's not something they can put a number on. Also, I can completely understand why they won't say that the m9xx is on par with the m920 as such claims are not only unverifiable, but subjective. Logic tells me that the product can't be a bad one, as Grace Design has staked their reputation by building this model, although being a limited series does make it less prone to damage the brand's image should the endeavor fail. Nevertheless, with words travelling fast in this day and age, even something as modest (sales-wise) as this one is bound to leave a blot on the company's otherwise pristine reputation for engineering should it fail to live up to expectations. And with the m9xx being based on their flagship monitoring system the m920, expectations are great indeed. In a way I think they can't afford to mess it up since the comparison is already there; the m920. It's a shadow that looms over the m9xx right now. So yeah, I agree, it has to perform like a 1500-2000 dollar system because that's what they basically advertised with the m9xx. Looking forward to it!

The best DAC I own right now is a Geek Out 1000. I'd really be interested to see how much better the m9xx will be compared to it. 

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #252 of 2,153
  To be fair, it's not something they can put a number on. Also, I can completely understand why they won't say that the m9xx is on par with the m920 as such claims are not only unverifiable, but subjective. Logic tells me that the product can't be a bad one, as Grace Design has staked their reputation by building this model, although being a limited series does make it less prone to damage the brand's image should the endeavor fail. Nevertheless, with words travelling fast in this day and age, even something as modest (sales-wise) as this one is bound to leave a blot on the company's otherwise pristine reputation for engineering should it fail to live up to expectations. And with the m9xx being based on their flagship monitoring system the m920, expectations are great indeed. In a way I think they can't afford to mess it up since the comparison is already there; the m920. It's a shadow that looms over the m9xx right now. So yeah, I agree, it has to perform like a 1500-2000 dollar system because that's what they basically advertised with the m9xx. Looking forward to it!

The best DAC I own right now is a Geek Out 1000. I'd really be interested to see how much better the m9xx will be compared to it. 

The m9XX should blow the GO out of the water. I had one a while ago, and found it wasn't even comparable to the Aune X1S, which doesn't really compare to the m9XX.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #254 of 2,153
I've PM'd Michael a few times about the M920/M9XX comparison.  I don't want to put words in his mouth or quote him without permission, but to me it sounds like the M9XX will be very close to the M920.  What you lose is the multiple inputs, outputs, remote control, and analog volume control.  And maybe a bit of quality.  You gain $1000+ and a lot of portability.

I use a recently purchased M920 for a my living room stereo preamp/DAC.  The M9XX would be perfectly at home next on my desk.  And it might find a home there.

After living with a Violectric V800 for a couple of years, I have zero problems with a digital volume control, particularly in a 32-bit environment.  I know others might disagree, but I'd rather not sweat the small stuff and just enjoy the music.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #255 of 2,153
  I've PM'd Michael a few times about the M920/M9XX comparison.  I don't want to put words in his mouth or quote him without permission, but to me it sounds like the M9XX will be very close to the M920.  What you lose is the multiple inputs, outputs, remote control, and analog volume control.  And maybe a bit of quality.  You gain $1000+ and a lot of portability.

I use a recently purchased M920 for a my living room stereo preamp/DAC.  The M9XX would be perfectly at home next on my desk.  And it might find a home there.

After living with a Violectric V800 for a couple of years, I have zero problems with a digital volume control, particularly in a 32-bit environment.  I know others might disagree, but I'd rather not sweat the small stuff and just enjoy the music.

Even at 95% m920 quality, it would be a pretty sweet deal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back