Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Oct 30, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #212 of 2,153
Appears Grace just made some firmware updates so the CCK can be used to connect i-devices directly. See massdrop comments section.

From what I've read, this is a sonic upgrade versus the JDS Labs The Element. Adding iDevice compatibility would certainly allow people to look at it as a complete replacement option, the iDevice being the only major feature lacking in the m9XX.

They should post this information up front, and not ask people to go looking for it in a blog. Is the firmware update finalized, or still in testing?

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #213 of 2,153
This the post from Massdrop regarding the firmware update...

CalebRoberts

Hi folks,
Today I added a feature to the m9XX firmware that enables operation with an iPhone using only the CCK (no hub) and of course powering the m9XX via its 5V/2A power port. The way this works is that if you first connect the 5V/2A power port to a power source and second connect to a USB host, the descriptors will indicate self-powered / 0mA. I sent the firmware update to Alex Vallejo (currently at the AES conference) and he is operating with that setup right now.

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #214 of 2,153
That's a great tweak... looks like they're really taking user feedback to heart 
L3000.gif

That hub workaround, while functional, seemed pretty cumbersome mildly inconvenient.

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #215 of 2,153
Will leaving it powered on forever do any damage ie:xf_eek:verheating or burn in on display? If I buy this it will get plugged in once and stay in.

It's not an LCD, it's a 7 figure display, meant to be left on forever with whatever displaying. 

Leave it plugged in, no reason to do otherwise. 

I care about the planet. 

I keed, I keed.

So no need to worry about capacitor longevity etc? I normally turn my stuff off at the end of the day so It's a bit of a habit with me. My USB stays powered constantly so I know that the m9xx would too. Easy solution that I'm considering is buying a short USB extension with a power switch built in. 

There are no capacitors in the signal path so no, no reason to be concerned about capacitor longevity. I guess you could unplug the cables from the back of the device, but it's up to you. 

No need for all the environment-killing and USB connector abuse... there's an auto-display-off feature! Found this in the manual:

"DISPLAY DIMMER MODE Turns off 7 segment display after 5 seconds of inactivity. Turning or pushing encoder re-illuminates the display. Push encoder to activate."

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #216 of 2,153
That's a great tweak... looks like they're really taking user feedback to heart :L3000:

That hub workaround, while functional, seemed pretty cumbersome.

Not to argue, but I would not call a hub that is around an inch in all dimensions that weighs close to nothing (Cute USB Mini 2-port hub) "pretty cumbersome" at all, especially if you saw the setup in person.

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #217 of 2,153
  No need for all the environment killing and usb connector abuse... there's an auto-display-off feature! Found this in the manual:

"DISPLAY DIMMER MODE Turns off 7 segment display after 5 seconds of inactivity. Turning or pushing encoder re-illuminates the display. Push encoder to activate."

Thanks, but not actually what I had beef with. The display on-off feature I already know about. What I wanted was a proper off switch for the device itself, for the entire circuit. The environment thing was just a joke. I'm just worried that keeping something constantly on is going to wear on the device, especially on the power supply. I know that I'm probably just overthinking it. It's not like I've had issues so far with my current DACs and amplifiers and some of been running for months without stopping. Still, this one is a expensive device so I'm naturally concerned with taking good care of it to get the most use out of it as possible. Sorry to keep dragging people into this due to my worries. 

I appreciate everyone for their help and input.

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #218 of 2,153

Not to argue, but I would not call a hub that is around an inch in all dimensions that weighs close to nothing (Cute USB Mini 2-port hub) "pretty cumbersome" at all, especially if you saw the setup in person.

My typical carry-around setup is pretty spartan and usually has no available room, so I guess that was my perspective when mentioning that... I agree that it's minuscule when sitting on a desk, or tossed in a laptop bag/purse/whatever! Of course, I'd need to go buy one for this specific application :wink:

The software fix is even better, IMO

Thanks, but not actually what I had beef with. The display on-off feature I already know about. What I wanted was a proper off switch for the device itself, for the entire circuit. The environment thing was just a joke. I'm just worried that keeping something constantly on is going to wear on the device, especially on the power supply. I know that I'm probably just overthinking it. It's not like I've had issues so far with my current DACs and amplifiers and some of been running for months without stopping. Still, this one is a expensive device so I'm naturally concerned with taking good care of it to get the most use out of it as possible. Sorry to keep dragging people into this due to my worries. 

I appreciate everyone for their help and input.

Ohhhh I obviously misunderstood. Maybe Grace can add a low/no-power "sleep" mode option? Setting an optional sleep mode (based on an inactivity timer + the ability to manually set it) could be a great feature, methinks. Press the knob/turn the volume to wake? Seems like another possible software add-in, hardware permitting. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #219 of 2,153
Hi all, pretty interested in getting the m9xx but have some queries which i hope to get some enlightenment from the pros here!

How would you guys recommend setting up the m9xx with a creative xm7 with passive speakers setup? 

Do i connect both individually to the PC and toggle via windows?

Or should i chain them? i.e. PC --> XM7 via USB --> m9xx via RCA or something along that lines...

I'm looking to use the m9xx for my iems and headphones!

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #220 of 2,153
  My typical carry-around setup is pretty spartan and usually has no available room, so I guess that was my perspective when mentioning that... I agree that it's minuscule when sitting on a desk, or tossed in a laptop bag/purse/whatever! Of course, I'd need to go buy one for this specific application :wink:

The software fix is even better, IMO

Ohhhh I obviously misunderstood. Maybe Grace can add a low/no-power "sleep" mode option? Setting an optional sleep mode (based on an inactivity timer + the ability to manually set it) could be a great feature, methinks. Press the knob/turn the volume to wake? Seems like another possible software add-in, hardware permitting. 

Hope it's something we can expect in the future. Time will tell. It's not a deal breaker though. Grace Design's stuff look to be built to last. Plus, with a 5 year warranty, should be fine.

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #221 of 2,153

The software fix is even better, IMO...

I agree, my carry-around setup is usually pretty Spartan as well, I usually bring IEMs and my iPhone 6, or add the QP1R if I don't want to drain the iPhone 6's battery and want to carry an external battery charger.  If you walked around with the m9XX, the hub would not be a "cumbersome" thought at all, as you are already transporting the m9XX.  I agree the software fix is the ultimate solution since I will not need to use any type of add-on hub, but to state that the hub is "cumbersome", especially after considering the size of the m9XX is, for lack of a nicer way of putting it, a little over-dramatic (in my opinion).

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #223 of 2,153
  Hi all, pretty interested in getting the m9xx but have some queries which i hope to get some enlightenment from the pros here!

How would you guys recommend setting up the m9xx with a creative xm7 with passive speakers setup? 

Do i connect both individually to the PC and toggle via windows?

Or should i chain them? i.e. PC --> XM7 via USB --> m9xx via RCA or something along that lines...

I'm looking to use the m9xx for my iems and headphones!

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi, looks like the XM7 have binding posts. Since they're a passive system, they need to be powered through an amplifier. Just to make sure I got this right, the XM7 are E-MU speakers right? Not sure how you'd connect them via USB, or are you talking about the X7? Anyway, this might work:

PC --> USB to m9xx --> m9xx RCA output --> RCA input of X7 --> passive speakers.

So you'll be using the m9xx headphone out for the IEMs and headphones, and as a DAC that sends the signal down to the X7, using the X7 as an amplifier to power the passive speakers.

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #224 of 2,153

I agree, my carry-around setup is usually pretty Spartan as well, I usually bring IEMs and my iPhone 6, or add the QP1R if I don't want to drain the iPhone 6's battery and want to carry an external battery charger.  If you walked around with the m9XX, the hub would not be a "cumbersome" thought at all, as you are already transporting the m9XX.  I agree the software fix is the ultimate solution since I will not need to use any type of add-on hub, but to state that the hub is "cumbersome", especially after considering the size of the m9XX is, for lack of a nicer way of putting it, a little over-dramatic (in my opinion).

Yeah exaggeration runs in the blood, I'm half Cuban :wink:

I guess "inconvenient" would be closer to what I meant. If i was trying to accomplish this myself, I probably wouldn't go buy a similarly tiny hub, I'd probably just test existing hubs I have laying around until I found one that works... all of which are significantly bigger *shrug*. Again, just my perspective

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #225 of 2,153
  Yeah exaggeration runs in the blood, I'm half Cuban :wink:

I guess "inconvenient" would be closer to what I meant. If i was trying to accomplish this myself, I probably wouldn't go buy a similarly tiny hub, I'd probably just test existing hubs I have laying around until I found one that works... all of which are significantly bigger *shrug*. Again, just my perspective

No worries.  Hope you enjoy the m9XX if you decide to purchase (if you haven't purchased already). 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back