Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Oct 29, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #196 of 2,153
Ok, so I just recently.got the Audeze EL8 closed back, which I love, and I got the basic Schiit stack for it. Started with the uber stack and replaced the magni with the vali since it was too bright/harsh.
I'm still not too pleased with the combo, and think I need a better/stronger amp to make the best of the EL8.
The question is, will the 9xx be a huge leap forward or just maybe slightly better? Has anyone tried the 9xx with the EL8?
Thanks..

I would say you will get a more dramatic change swapping headphones. the el-8 are naturally quite bright. I personally dislike its sound signature tuning. if you do really want to keep the el-8, something like the wa7 may be a good match for it.

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #200 of 2,153
Will leaving it powered on forever do any damage ie:xf_eek:verheating or burn in on display? If I buy this it will get plugged in once and stay in.

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #201 of 2,153
Will leaving it powered on forever do any damage ie:xf_eek:verheating or burn in on display? If I buy this it will get plugged in once and stay in.

I'll let the seller and/or designer chime in, but these types of units are usually designed to stay plugged in, especially as it doesn't have a battery. Cheers 

Oct 30, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #203 of 2,153
  It's not an LCD, it's a 7 figure display, meant to be left on forever with whatever displaying. 

Leave it plugged in, no reason to do otherwise. 

I care about the planet. 

I keed, I keed.

So no need to worry about capacitor longevity etc? I normally turn my stuff off at the end of the day so It's a bit of a habit with me. My USB stays powered constantly so I know that the m9xx would too. Easy solution that I'm considering is buying a short USB extension with a power switch built in. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #205 of 2,153
  I care about the planet. 

I keed, I keed.

So no need to worry about capacitor longevity etc? I normally turn my stuff off at the end of the day so It's a bit of a habit with me. My USB stays powered constantly so I know that the m9xx would too. Easy solution that I'm considering is buying a short USB extension with a power switch built in. 

There are no capacitors in the signal path so no, no reason to be concerned about capacitor longevity. I guess you could unplug the cables from the back of the device, but it's up to you. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #206 of 2,153
Yeah, sorry, I always think too much about these things. To constantly unplug and plug something in results in increased wear and tear over the life of the device and is likely the first thing to go when it finally does. Or keep it on all the time and wait for something in the circuit to go. So I try and think of a solution, like buying a short USB cable used on Raspberry Pis with a switch built in. Then wonder if the cable will degrade signal quality. Lol. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #207 of 2,153
Eh, the connectors are rated for 10,000 mating cycles so while it would be the first thing to go, it'd still last you 14 years of disconnecting and reconnecting on a daily basis. 

Different cables shouldn't matter, unless one has a ferrite bead and the other doesn't. Even then, doubtful anyone would be able to discern any difference. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #208 of 2,153
Yeah, if you're worried about the cost of the power of a 2w usb device that's not running anything then you probably shouldn't be buying a $xxx dac/amp.

If you're worried about longevity of the device, then leaving it on/plugged in would probably be the least stressful way to treat the device.

I think you can tell the display to turn off 

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #210 of 2,153
Yeah, I guess it's pretty unreasonable for me to worry about it. I always try to minimize wear and tear as much as possible on all my stuff. I won't worry anymore I won't worry anymore I won't worry anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back