Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Oct 29, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #181 of 2,153
Ok, so I just recently.got the Audeze EL8 closed back, which I love, and I got the basic Schiit stack for it. Started with the uber stack and replaced the magni with the vali since it was too bright/harsh.
I'm still not too pleased with the combo, and think I need a better/stronger amp to make the best of the EL8.
The question is, will the 9xx be a huge leap forward or just maybe slightly better? Has anyone tried the 9xx with the EL8?
Thanks..

Sorry to disappoint, but my son has the LCD-3, the Slants, and Grado GS-1000i, and EL-8. He went through a number of amps trying to get the EL8s to sound good to him, but could not. In his own words:
I put the EL-8s on expecting some wonderful detail, but was greeted by a tin-can, mid-free sound the reminded me of listening to speakers with earplugs in.

People either love that sound or hate it. For some types of music the EL8 can shine, but for other types it sounds very tinny. I didn't care for the EL8 sound either. Others, of course, love it.

The EL8 has a very distinctive sound, and if you don't like it with one good amp, you probably will not like it with most others. Amp signatures are subtle, and the EL8 signature is not.

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #182 of 2,153
I am kind of green when it comes to reading specs on amp power.  Is there enough power for HD600/650 and the Alpha Prime?  I have the Geek Pulse vanilla and I have to almost max out on volume on high gain and it sounds just ok (low volume and lacking bottom) but I am hoping to find a small unit that powers them better.   The Geek Pulse is also unstable (sometimes i have sound sometimes not) and the volume/gain controls sometimes have an effect and sometimes not.  I haven't had it very long but I am already sick of playing around trying to get it to work.

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #183 of 2,153
Oct 29, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #184 of 2,153
I am kind of green when it comes to reading specs on amp power.  Is there enough power for HD600/650 and the Alpha Prime?
I have both the HD650 and Alpha Prime. I suspect, *yes*. But this is supposition until i get the m9xx of course.

The HD6* is pretty easy to drive, imo. The Alpha Prime is not. But the Alpha Prime's impedance in the mid 40 ohms is just above the sweet spot to 'pull' max power from this amp ( it would pull approx 3/4 of a watt from this amp; the t50rp planar drivers in the prime can handle 3 watts max).

If you have fantastic hearing, you may even be able to run in low power mode. But I would always use the 2nd power supply. Based on what your saying about your current amp, I think you'd want to too.

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #185 of 2,153
I have both the HD650 and Alpha Prime. I suspect, *yes*. But this is supposition until i get the m9xx of course.

The HD6* is pretty easy to drive, imo. The Alpha Prime is not. But the Alpha Prime's impedance in the mid 40 ohms is just above the sweet spot to 'pull' max power from this amp ( it would pull approx 3/4 of a watt from this amp; the t50rp planar drivers in the prime can handle 3 watts max).

If you have fantastic hearing, you may even be able to run in low power mode. But I would always use the 2nd power supply. Based on what your saying about your current amp, I think you'd want to too.

Thanks for the response.  It sounds like it may not be ideal for AP but what about HD650?  

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #186 of 2,153
Thanks for the response.  It sounds like it may not be ideal for AP but what about HD650?  
I did not mean to convey this conclusion with what i wrote. 3/4 of a watt to the AP enables very loud levels; would cause hearing damage over long periods and is only 6dB down from its max rating. If hearing damage is not enough and a little bit of bleeding is the goal, yes, it's not ideal. ;p

Edit: after visiting Tyll's measurements for the HD 650, .... ya, it should be able to drive the hd650. 90db needs 0.13mW. This amp is capable of 115mW into 300 ohms. That's approx 1000 times more power than needed for 90db. 1000 times more power provides approximately a 30db louder level. 120 db should be loud enough! :D

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #187 of 2,153
I did not mean to convey this conclusion with what i wrote. 3/4 of a watt to the AP enables very loud levels; would cause hearing damage over long periods and is only 6dB down from its max rating. If hearing damage is not enough and a little bit of bleeding is the goal, yes, it's not ideal. ;p

As I said, I find the HD650 is a lot easier to drive to loud levels. Is this amp's capabilities enough to hit the max power rating of the HP and risk damage to it? No. But I would say it's enough to drive them well.

Thanks! I don't want my ears to bleed :).  If it can get the volume / power I get from the Centrace Dacport Slim (which I love) that would be enough.   I love the Slim but I usually don't use my laptop all the time.  I currently hook up the AK120 or the X5 to the Geek Pulse for the HD650 and Alpha Prime on my bedstand but it is underwhelming.  If I could hook up the AK120 to the Slim i would be set but haven't seen that combo on the boards.  That is why I am looking at the m9xx, smaller and has the toslink connection.  My other option is an amp only but I don't want anything too big. 

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #188 of 2,153
I've cancelled my massdrop purchase for this one :frowning2:

The HD800 relaunch has me looking deeper into my wallet - if there's no news on it, or if I don't like the news I'll rejoin closer to the end if there's still space open

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #189 of 2,153
Thanks! I don't want my ears to bleed :).  If it can get the volume / power I get from the Centrace Dacport Slim (which I love) that would be enough.   I love the Slim but I usually don't use my laptop all the time.  I currently hook up the AK120 or the X5 to the Geek Pulse for the HD650 and Alpha Prime on my bedstand but it is underwhelming.  
ya, my FiiO E17 is at close to max with these phones.

I revisited my HD 650 statement. Please see my edit. I forgot how efficient the HD650 was, and thought I'd be reversing my position. But after being reminded referencing Tyll's measurements, the math reinforced my statement.

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #190 of 2,153

Edit: after visiting Tyll's measurements for the HD 650, .... ya, it should be able to drive the hd650. 90db needs 0.13mW. This amp is capable of 115mW into 300 ohms. That's approx 1000 times more power than needed for 90db. 1000 times more power provides approximately a 30db louder level. 120 db should be loud enough!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the edit on HD650!

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #191 of 2,153
Thanks! I don't want my ears to bleed :).  If it can get the volume / power I get from the Centrace Dacport Slim (which I love) that would be enough.   I love the Slim but I usually don't use my laptop all the time.  I currently hook up the AK120 or the X5 to the Geek Pulse for the HD650 and Alpha Prime on my bedstand but it is underwhelming.  If I could hook up the AK120 to the Slim i would be set but haven't seen that combo on the boards.  That is why I am looking at the m9xx, smaller and has the toslink connection.  My other option is an amp only but I don't want anything too big. 

You will receive more power/volume from the m9XX compared to the DACport Slim (as explained in the review).

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #193 of 2,153
  I've cancelled my massdrop purchase for this one :frowning2:

The HD800 relaunch has me looking deeper into my wallet - if there's no news on it, or if I don't like the news I'll rejoin closer to the end if there's still space open

I did the same thing and realized I need to think long term. Going to get the HD800s and the matching amp. I also realized that I dont need a portable amp nor will I need one ever.  

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #194 of 2,153
  Updated review with iPhone 6 to m9XX connection pictures and description.  Have a great day/night everyone! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks for the pictures.  I was getting confused because the "hub" only shows one thing plugged in on the dual-USB side.  It seems like all the hub is doing is preventing the m9xx from telling the iPhone how much power it could/would draw?

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #195 of 2,153
Sorry to disappoint, but my son has the LCD-3, the Slants, and Grado GS-1000i, and EL-8. He went through a number of amps trying to get the EL8s to sound good to him, but could not. In his own words:
I put the EL-8s on expecting some wonderful detail, but was greeted by a tin-can, mid-free sound the reminded me of listening to speakers with earplugs in.

People either love that sound or hate it. For some types of music the EL8 can shine, but for other types it sounds very tinny. I didn't care for the EL8 sound either. Others, of course, love it.

The EL8 has a very distinctive sound, and if you don't like it with one good amp, you probably will not like it with most others. Amp signatures are subtle, and the EL8 signature is not.

Well, I tried quite a lot of headphones before choosing the EL8s. They sounded much better than anything I tried.
They sound great, to my ears, even unamped from a macbook or the Sony A17, but I've unfortunately tried them with a McIntosh MHA100, which was brilliant.
I expected lesser amps to make the EL8 sound better, but not on par.
The Schiit stack actually made them sound worse or just not to my taste.
I do believe I can find a great amp for it that won't cost $4500, and I must say "tinny" is the furthest description from what i've experienced so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back