Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Oct 28, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #166 of 2,153

Ha, "real PSU", them's some fighting words. Quick note Michael Grace posted in response to a PSU question on Massdrop: 

"The analog power supply design is based on our push-pull DC-DC converter developed for our m101 microphone preamplifier. Professional microphone preamaplifiers are extremely low noise, high gain circuits that require very quiet power supplies.

Jamie Kraphol is our engineer in charge of the magnetics design for this power supply. He spent months optimizing this design for high power output, dual voltage operation (Buss Power vs High Power mode), and sample rate synchronous operation . So while the circuit topology looks similar to the m101/m103 it is a different animal in terms of performance parameters."

If you have specific questions about the PSU, how it measures compared to your "real" alternatives, w/e, I'm glad to pass them along to Michael. 

My hero

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #168 of 2,153
Eh, not really, we just get a lot of complaints from spouses about "unhealthy" spending habits so every once in a while, when someone buys over $1000 of stuff from us in a 10 day window, we make sure to ping their spouse and make sure everything's fine. 

Lol jk.

Hahaha ha ....

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #169 of 2,153
Hahaha ha ....

Don't worry, it's the plight of the enthusiast. Whether it's $500 DAC/Amps, $3400 pocket knives, or $80 balls of yarn, it's about spending on what makes you happy, can't always expect other people to understand. 

I remember being 13, saving up my money to buy a pair of HD555s.  My parents gave me so much trash (edited to trash, first word got caught in the disneyland filter) for that, I know the struggle. 

Still, way better than spending on BS you'll have to toss in a couple months like most consumers. 

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #171 of 2,153
It's doing pretty good on massdrop so far.  It's got 175 purchasers.

I wonder if it will have the same signature as the m920.  I had a horrible experience with the m920 and makes me hesitant to commit to this.

This one does look elegant and hopefully mine was just a bad unit.

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #172 of 2,153
  Don't mind Shaffer, he's often misunderstood as sarcastic, like this comment.

The m9xx uses a 5V 2A power supply fed by a USB port. It's a power connection like any other minus the high voltage but then a device can be design to work around that by using a higher current, in this case, 2A. It could have a large external PSU, but that doesn't mean it's got any more juice or that it delivers a cleaner signal, at least that's what I think. If he saw the technical specs of the PSU used in the m9xx and had some complaints about it, then I could completely understand where he's coming from. I wasn't trying to tick anyone off. Really. Just wanted to know if he knew something in particular about the m9xx's PSU design and would be willing to share his thoughts. 

It's just sort of a pet peeve of mine (and I apologize if it's a source of friction here). When I hear that something isn't liked, I want to know exactly why that is the case because it helps me see all the pros and cons. Aside from loving audio, I love cars. I am a member of a car group on FB and I often hear people (in it) saying "Hondas are gay". But when pressed they don't have an answer as to why. Sure they might say "I hate ricers", "I hate VTEC" etc. But I want to know then - if it's not Japanese (or a riced up car), then would you like the car then, and if so, is that logical and what aspect of VTEC do you not like. And I tell you, 9/10 times, they don't have an answer. 

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #173 of 2,153
  The m9xx uses a 5V 2A power supply fed by a USB port. It's a power connection like any other minus the high voltage but then a device can be design to work around that by using a higher current, in this case, 2A. It could have a large external PSU, but that doesn't mean it's got any more juice or that it delivers a cleaner signal, at least that's what I think. If he saw the technical specs of the PSU used in the m9xx and had some complaints about it, then I could completely understand where he's coming from. I wasn't trying to tick anyone off. Really. Just wanted to know if he knew something in particular about the m9xx's PSU design and would be willing to share his thoughts. 

It's just sort of a pet peeve of mine (and I apologize if it's a source of friction here). When I hear that something isn't liked, I want to know exactly why that is the case because it helps me see all the pros and cons. Aside from loving audio, I love cars. I am a member of a car group on FB and I often hear people (in it) saying "Hondas are gay". But when pressed they don't have an answer as to why. Sure they might say "I hate ricers", "I hate VTEC" etc. But I want to know then - if it's not Japanese (or a riced up car), then would you like the car then, and if so, is that logical and what aspect of VTEC do you not like. And I tell you, 9/10 times, they don't have an answer. 

That ought to show me not to make confusing comments like that xD I totally agree with you on this one, if I wasn't clear before.

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #175 of 2,153

Wow, fun group on FB there. Homophobic and racists. Let me guess, sexist too? 

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #176 of 2,153

Wow, fun group on FB there. Homophobic and racists. Let me guess, sexist too? 

Haha well, only when it comes to Hondas apparently! You know how it can be. I don't agree with them all the time. We are united by our love of our group's particular brand, but that just invites room for polarized views on other brands. Which is fine. But in my views - if you're gonna hate something, then have a good and logical reason as to why. Because if you don't, you end up looking like a 5 year old kid who hates clown's because they're "scary". Liking or hating something out of emotion is fine; we're all human. Just leave it out when the discussion calls for logic and educated scrutiny, not emotional biases. 

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #177 of 2,153
Updated review with iPhone 6 to m9XX connection pictures and description.  Have a great day/night everyone! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #178 of 2,153
Ok, so I just recently.got the Audeze EL8 closed back, which I love, and I got the basic Schiit stack for it. Started with the uber stack and replaced the magni with the vali since it was too bright/harsh.
I'm still not too pleased with the combo, and think I need a better/stronger amp to make the best of the EL8.
The question is, will the 9xx be a huge leap forward or just maybe slightly better? Has anyone tried the 9xx with the EL8?
Thanks..

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #180 of 2,153
  Updated review with iPhone 6 to m9XX connection pictures and description.  Have a great day/night everyone! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Happy to learn you got it working. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back