Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Oct 27, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #136 of 2,153
  When you're subscribed to Massdrop, you don't look. It finds you. 

+1. Massdrop and Head-fi together typically lead to accelerated spending!

Oct 27, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #139 of 2,153
  I personally do not think the m9XX is overkill for anything.  Even more sensitive headphones sound great on the m9XX, as the volume (even on High Power mode) elevates slowly/slightly as the volume number increases.  

The iPhone 6 can be used as a source with the m9XX if you use this: http://www.amazon.com/Cute-USB-2-Port-Splitter-Black/dp/B00FJG5T4W/ref=lp_7583942011_1_1?srs=7583942011&ie=UTF8&qid=1445921860&sr=8-1 (@HiFiGuy528 posted this as a solution earlier in the thread).  Mine (I chose Black) will be here in 2 days.  Reflected in my review.

I just don't understand what the splitter is doing.  In the picture you had one link from the phone going into the splitter and the other is empty.  You weren't using it as a splitter at all.

Oct 27, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #140 of 2,153
I just don't understand what the splitter is doing.  In the picture you had one link from the phone going into the splitter and the other is empty.  You weren't using it as a splitter at all.

I did not post an iPhone 6 and m9XX connection, as the hub that I originally used (Gear Head 4-port USB hub) did not work for me. The photo in my review of the connection is of the Samsung S5 and m9XX via USB to USB male and Sony external battery charger.  My Cute USB hub is on its way (will arrive tomorrow), and I will update the review with pictures of my iPhone 6 and m9XX connection.

Here is the explanation of what the splitter/iPhone/iOS devices need, from Mr. Grace:

"The iPhone will only allow a device to be connected to it that reports that it will draw no more than 5mA. The m9XX reports that it will draw up to 500mA. A powered USB hub will report to the iphone that it does not need power. It will then allow the m9XX to establish a data connection for audio streaming while your battery provides the DC power to the m9XX."

With regards to the hub not being used as a splitter, basically the hub tricks the connection so there won't be any power issues.  I had to use a hub/splitter with a power source (external battery/power outlet) to use my DACport Slim with the iPhone 6, since there is only one port on the DACport Slim, and not 2 like on the m9xx.

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #142 of 2,153

I did not post an iPhone 6 and m9XX connection, as the hub that I originally used (Gear Head 4-port USB hub) did not work for me. The photo in my review of the connection is of the Samsung S5 and m9XX via USB to USB male and Sony external battery charger.  My Cute USB hub is on its way (will arrive tomorrow), and I will update the review with pictures of my iPhone 6 and m9XX connection.

Sorry, I got confused - it was someone else's picture.  Take a look at post 74.  That clearly shows an iPhone 6 plugged into that "hub"/splitter, but only one port of the splitter active.  

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #143 of 2,153

Look at post 74.  That clearly shows an iPhone 6 plugged into that "hub"/splitter, but only one port of the splitter active.  

Yes, however you specifically stated that I posted the picture.  Here is your quote (post #139):

(I normally do not like bolding words of quotes/posts for various reasons, but I will this time):

Please take a look at who specifically posted the picture/post.  Not me.  My friend posted that picture, as shown, and I also mentioned him in the review as well.

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #144 of 2,153
An interesting drop...again. Was looking for an amp/DAC combo inline with this Grace (full bitrate range, dual HP output, high end DAC) but critical that it can do justice with both HD800 and LCD 2.2f. How does the m9xx hold up technically with the Vio V200 w integrated DAC. Can find much on the V200 with DAC and his being prerelease the impressions so far are limited. I'm just getting into higher end equipment and want to settle on an amp/DAC combo to munch on for a while with the two HP mentioned. V200 is on sale for $1100...thus Grace looks attractive but seems more of a risk. Such the assault on my wallet. Bloody head-fi.

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #145 of 2,153
Another option is to use a Schiit Wyrd. I can us an iPhone 6 or iPad mini as my source into a Schiit Modi and Vali. It should work just fine on the Grace m9xx.

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #146 of 2,153
Another potential solution (for android phones, at least) is power splitter OTG usb cable like this one: http://amzn.com/B00V81L9M8

I use it to power Apogee Groove DAC/amp with external 'usb' rechargeable battery while playing music from Samsung S5. It works without battery as well, but it hurts to see battery level on the phone dropping THAT fast.

I quite like Apogee Groove, it is very capable DAC/amp, but it does not sound quite as nice as my DacMini CX. Wonder if 9xx is the answer for semi-portable needs (as in - carry from room to room).

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #148 of 2,153
Of course everything is influenced by implementation.  But assuming some generalizations can still be drawn, some interesting, and very positive, things were said about the IC used as the headphone power amp of the M9XX.  See 3.1:  http://sound.westhost.com/highspeed.htm  
(hope this wasn't posted already)

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #150 of 2,153
From Michael Grace...via massdrop thread...

2. The RCA line outputs are variable. For reference, a volume setting of "90" is "unity" on the volume attenuator and will result in an output level of 2Vrms for a full scale digital signal (0dBFS). The maximum output level with the volume at "99." is +14dBV (5.1Vrms)

6. Plugging headphones in to the right hand headphone jack will mute the line outputs. Plugging in to the left hand headphone jack will leave the line outputs active.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back